Should "sanitize" return an empty string for non-strings?

Paul E. G. Lynch

Sep 11, 2013, 6:36:10 PM9/11/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
If, in your view, you are expecting params[:name] to be a string, but actually rails has parsed it into {"."=>"1234"} (or something more malicious), then currently
<%= sanitize(params[:name]) %> blows up because the hash does not respond the expected methods from the sanitize call.

I could put in code to check that the params values I am sanitizing are strings, but it seems like it would be better for sanitize to handle that, and perhaps just return the empty string if the processing of the input raises an exception.

--Paul

Robert Walker

Sep 11, 2013, 7:21:34 PM9/11/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Paul Lynch wrote in post #1121214:
Hum. It seems to me that "blowing up" is the right thing to do in this
scenario. More precisely an exception should be raised indicating a
programmer mistake of passing an illegal argument to a method expecting
a string.

Paul Lynch

Sep 12, 2013, 10:26:18 AM9/12/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
In this case it is user (hacker, scanner, etc.), not the programmer, who has passed the illegal argument.  I don't think that should result in a 500 server error.  To avoid that, either the programmer has to check each input parameter to make sure it is a string, or something like sanitize has to make the parameter safe.

Paul Lynch
National Library of Medicine

Jordon Bedwell

Sep 12, 2013, 10:31:41 AM9/12/13
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Paul Lynch <plyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In this case it is user (hacker, scanner, etc.), not the programmer, who has
> passed the illegal argument. I don't think that should result in a 500
> server error. To avoid that, either the programmer has to check each input
> parameter to make sure it is a string, or something like sanitize has to
> make the parameter safe.

It's your problem and even more so *your* job to enforce types, not
sanitizes problem to enforce your type. Sanitize is a helper, it is
not part of your normal routing therefore it should not have to allow
you be more oblivious as to what is going on in your software and how
to handle and think about intentional/misintentional malicious users.

Matt Jones

Sep 12, 2013, 10:38:52 AM9/12/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It's unclear to me why you *wouldn't* want a 500 ISE here. Silently swallowing ArgumentError or NoMethodError is a terrible idea, since it also can obscure real bugs.

If you really want that behavior, try:

<%= sanitize(params[:name]) rescue '' %>

--Matt Jones

Paul Lynch

Sep 12, 2013, 1:22:38 PM9/12/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It is because I am trying to distinguish between "real bugs" and bad input (a 400 error) that I don't want this to be a 500 error.  I have a rescue action that sends me an email when a 500 error occurs (though it limits the number it sends) because if there is a bug in the program that users are running into, I want to know about it.  I don't want to get those alerts every time someone intentionally sends bad input.  It seems to me that the convenience of having sanitize just handle the exception outweighs the possibility of missing bugs involving sanitize calls (which seems slight to me, though maybe I am not thinking of some use case).

Thanks for the suggestion of adding a rescue.  I might just patch sanitize locally so I don't have to type the rescue each time.

Jordon Bedwell

Sep 12, 2013, 1:27:05 PM9/12/13
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Paul Lynch <plyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is because I am trying to distinguish between "real bugs" and bad input
> (a 400 error) that I don't want this to be a 500 error. I have a rescue
> action that sends me an email when a 500 error occurs (though it limits the
> number it sends) because if there is a bug in the program that users are
> running into, I want to know about it. I don't want to get those alerts
> every time someone intentionally sends bad input. It seems to me that the
> convenience of having sanitize just handle the exception outweighs the
> possibility of missing bugs involving sanitize calls (which seems slight to
> me, though maybe I am not thinking of some use case).

His suggestion was not to rescue the error, it was an example of how
you could. To rescue any error in an app is asking for edge cases
unless they are specific errors for specific actions such as a
RoutingError. The proper way to handle this is to type the input and
return long before you even hit sanitize and have to rescue for: 1.)
Better performance on errors an 2.) Better ability to know how your
app is behaving.

Hassan Schroeder

Sep 12, 2013, 2:19:56 PM9/12/13
to rubyonrails-talk
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Paul E. G. Lynch <plyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If, in your view, you are expecting params[:name] to be a string, but
> actually rails has parsed it into {"."=>"1234"} (or something more
> malicious)

Params are strings by definition; can you provide a test case/code
that demonstrates where this is not the case?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder

Robert Walker

Sep 12, 2013, 2:52:31 PM9/12/13
Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #1121316:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Paul E. G. Lynch <plyn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> If, in your view, you are expecting params[:name] to be a string, but
>> actually rails has parsed it into {"."=>"1234"} (or something more
>> malicious)
>
> Params are strings by definition; can you provide a test case/code
> that demonstrates where this is not the case?

Not necessarily the case. For example the create and update actions in a
users_controller will likely contain the user model in the params hash
as a hash keyed by :user:

params[:user]
=> { :first_name => "John", :last_name => "Doe", age: 25 }

Hassan Schroeder

Sep 12, 2013, 3:47:32 PM9/12/13
to rubyonrails-talk
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Robert Walker <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

>> Params are strings by definition; can you provide a test case/code
>> that demonstrates where this is not the case?
>
> Not necessarily the case. For example the create and update actions in a
> users_controller will likely contain the user model in the params hash...

Meh, you're right. I was thinking of the over-the-wire definition of
HTTP parameter name/value pairs but yes, at the controller level
Rails has already decided certain representations are more than
that.

Never mind!