Ruby On Rails Install on Win 7 32 bit error

rubynewbie

Jul 26, 2014, 11:01:40 PM7/26/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I am a newbie on Ruby on Rails. When trying to install on Win 7 32 bit PC, after executing gem install rails, got the following errors:

9 gems installed
error: while generating documentation for actionpack-4.1.4
... MESSAGE:   Invalid argument - ./ActionDispatch/Routing/Mapper/Scoping/:
... RDOC args: --ri --op C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.9.3/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/doc/act
ionpack-4.1.4/ri lib --title actionpack-4.1.4 Documentation --quiet

(Ruby version:  1.9.3p545 (2014-02-24) [i386-mingw32]
SQLite version: 3.8.4.3 2014-04-03 16:53:12

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
rubynewbie

Colin Law

Jul 27, 2014, 6:52:10 AM7/27/14
On 27 July 2014 04:01, rubynewbie <oss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie on Ruby on Rails. When trying to install on Win 7 32 bit PC,
> after executing gem install rails, got the following errors:

I strongly recommend *not* using Windows for rails development, use a
linux distribution (eg Ubuntu) or Mac. If, however, you have
absolutely no choice then I believe that railsinstaller.org is the way
to go.

Colin

tamouse pontiki

Jul 27, 2014, 8:00:18 AM7/27/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Rubynewbie, I'm not familiar with installing on windows, but I think your installation might still be okay. The documentation generation step is where things failed, but that happens after all the code is installed. All the documentation is online, so you don't especially need to have it on your computer (although it is nice to have).

Try creating a rails application following the instructions and see if it still works. If it doesn't, then you could seek more direct help at the places RailsInstaller suggests:

Have a look at this page as well: http://docs.railsbridge.org/installfest/windows -- it talks about setting up more things in your development environment that you may want.

Best of luck!

Tamara

Javix

Jul 28, 2014, 4:30:24 AM7/28/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Here are the steps to install the Rails environment on a Windows box:
- DO NOT use the rails Installer !
- download and install Ruby with RubyInstaller as explained here:http://rubyinstaller.org/
- check the installed Ruby version by running ruby -v in your command prompt( run Start-Run-cmd)
- download and install DevKit as explained at http://rubyinstaller.org/add-ons/devkit/ to enable the build of C-based extension gems
- check the installation of DevKit as explained here: https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit#building-the-devkit
- install rails and related gems by running in your terminal (command prompt) gem install rails. This will take some time.
- finally check the installed Rails version by running rails -v in your terminal.

That's as easy as it is.
If you have some proxy related issues, come back or (better) post it to another thread.
Hope this helps.

Colin Law

Jul 28, 2014, 6:07:49 AM7/28/14
On 28 July 2014 09:30, Javix <s.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are the steps to install the Rails environment on a Windows box:
> - DO NOT use the rails Installer !

An explanation of why not would be useful. I have heard others say it

Serguei Cambour

Jul 28, 2014, 6:14:29 AM7/28/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It was just a personal approach, i.e. I'd prefer to install the things knowing exactly what happens and and when.
Rails Installer seems to me (always personal) as a kind of 'black box'. More of that, it seems to be the preferred way to install via RubyInstaller (the easiest way), see http://rubyinstaller.org/.

Colin

Sampath Weerasinghe

Jul 29, 2014, 2:11:11 AM7/29/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

i dont mean to be rude,

but use Vagrant! for petes sake. (-:

trust me,  i have the same config (win7 32bit)

later on this year, when you give up trying to run rails nAtively on windows, i hope you rememer me,  as the guy on the mailing list who suggested vagrant.