BEST RAIL SERVER

Fahad Idrees

Nov 5, 2013, 6:03:55 AM11/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i want to deploy my website sort of chat website.
I am expecting more than 50K online users at it's peak time.
I don't want to compromise on optimization and page speed and don't want user to wait too long for page to load.

Any one suggest me best hosting for RAILS, some comparison and contrast are highly appreciated.
I have found heroku,amazon and bluehost are good to host in ROR. But which one is more stable in my scenerio?

Thank you in advance!

Carlos Mathiasen

Nov 5, 2013, 6:11:37 AM11/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I think Heroku is a good option. I worked with Heroku and Rails and the performance is excelent. The only problem is the pricing, but if you will have 50K users I think that is not a problem for your system.
Heroku is an amazon system, if you use Amazon you should set the OS too, this is an heroku benefit for me., with "git push" you have all the system online in few minutes.
I hope this help you a little :)

Matt's

Jordon Bedwell

Nov 5, 2013, 6:13:30 AM11/5/13
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Carlos Mathiasen <gunma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Heroku is a good option. I worked with Heroku and Rails and the
> performance is excelent. The only problem is the pricing, but if you will
> have 50K users I think that is not a problem for your system.

Not if you are on Heroku, unless you pay big money and even then you
are paying far more than you need to for sub-par performance.

Tamara Temple

Nov 5, 2013, 2:17:37 PM11/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
First off, there is no "best" as in it will be the best for everyone, every situation, etc., etc., etc.

Most of my experience is using AWS, and while it does work well, it can also be a major pain. Heroku is dead easy, of course, but suffers from performance issues sometimes. I’m not sure if you can throw enough money at Heroku to make it better.

Your best bet, really, is to take a step away from the decision that you must choose one and only one provider. If you develop your deployment to be disposable at the drop of a hat, immutable, and so on, then you’ll also generally be able to pick up and move hosts at a moment’s notice as well, and thus be able to respond faster to host downtimes and failures.

Fahad Idrees

Nov 5, 2013, 2:21:41 PM11/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I don't have lots of budge for hosting I want to get maximum benefits in low price.
No doubt heroku is the best but i have to pay huge amount to run my site on heroku and have to purchase additional add-ons and plugin in heroku.

Any other cheap sever in $10-30 per month range?

Walter Lee Davis

Nov 5, 2013, 2:35:48 PM11/5/13

On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Fahad Idrees wrote:

> I don't have lots of budge for hosting I want to get maximum benefits in low price.
> No doubt heroku is the best but i have to pay huge amount to run my site on heroku and have to purchase additional add-ons and plugin in heroku.
>
> Any other cheap sever in $10-30 per month range?

There's always Digital Ocean.

Walter

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Jordon Bedwell <envy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Carlos Mathiasen <gunma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think Heroku is a good option. I worked with Heroku and Rails and the
> > performance is excelent. The only problem is the pricing, but if you will
> > have 50K users I think that is not a problem for your system.
>
> Not if you are on Heroku, unless you pay big money and even then you
> are paying far more than you need to for sub-par performance.

Pandya, Amit

Nov 5, 2013, 2:44:46 PM11/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

--
Warm Regards,

mit Pandya

End is not end, In-fact E.N.D is "EFFORT NEVER DIES"
If you get NO in answer, remember N.O. is "NEXT OPPORTUNITY"
Impossible just separate the word - I M Possible

Matt Jones

Nov 6, 2013, 8:46:11 AM11/6/13

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 14:21:41 UTC-5, Fahad Idrees wrote:
I don't have lots of budge for hosting I want to get maximum benefits in low price.
No doubt heroku is the best but i have to pay huge amount to run my site on heroku and have to purchase additional add-ons and plugin in heroku.

Any other cheap sever in $10-30 per month range?

If you're worried about having to pay a "huge amount" to put your site up on Heroku, a $30/mo VPS will NOT work either.

To be honest, nobody is going to be able to make an accurate recommendation for a host given just what you've posted here - there's too much variability in what your site's code may demand to really make a decision without benchmarks. Set up a site someplace, and load test it. Repeat on more hosts until you find one that delivers enough performance to scale out to the size you need at the price you want.

--Matt Jones

S Ahmed

Nov 6, 2013, 12:13:24 PM11/6/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
50K online users won't work on a budget host with Rails.

Are you dreaming you will get 50K online users at peak or is that something you have now?  I'm guessing it a dream/projection otherwise you would know that bluehost won't get you there :)

Fahad Idrees

Nov 6, 2013, 12:56:19 PM11/6/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
@S ahmad, i am expecting 50000 users will hit the page daily. and more than 20k users will be unique.
bluehost only allow 5k user to access the site smoothly.

RVic

Nov 6, 2013, 7:07:22 PM11/6/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
The fastest server I have ever used, oddly, is the glassfish gem, using jruby, though I have not used it in quite some time.

Jordon Bedwell

Nov 7, 2013, 2:29:58 AM11/7/13

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:21:41 PM UTC-6, Fahad Idrees wrote:
I don't have lots of budge for hosting I want to get maximum benefits in low price.
No doubt heroku is the best but i have to pay huge amount to run my site on heroku and have to purchase additional add-ons and plugin in heroku.

Any other cheap sever in $10-30 per month range?

I feel the need to come in and say that I implied that Heroku was far from the best, actually I tried to imply that Heroku charges far more than they are currently worth.  With a good sysadmin or devops team you could build a far more powerful stack... What other people have implied about DigitalOcean is what we've done with a few of our really large stacks, we rebuilt them on DigitalOcean and saved tons of money.