Adding instant messaging to a rails application

bertly_the_coder

Dec 5, 2013, 5:05:56 AM12/5/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I have a membership based application and would like to add a chat/instant messaging feature for members to chat amongst each other. I'm thinking facebook chat where the chats are either chat(when both are online) or are delivered to the inbox, when offline or blocked. Any suggestions?

Paul

Dec 9, 2013, 9:07:44 AM12/9/13
to rubyonrails-talk
I'm sorry you didn't get any responses to this. I've been trying to get it working, too. If you make any progress, please let us know on this list. -- For my purposes, it was sufficient to create a once-a-minute polling loop to ping the server, but I'd much rather figure out how to do the server side event.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:05 AM, bertly_the_coder <muc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a membership based application and would like to add a chat/instant messaging feature for members to chat amongst each other. I'm thinking facebook chat where the chats are either chat(when both are online) or are delivered to the inbox, when offline or blocked. Any suggestions?

muchira k.

Dec 9, 2013, 9:09:56 AM12/9/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! It's a pretty extensive project apparently! I'm going to see how far the client want to go and then work on it.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CABceSpC%3DrCoKkqkPkHef9O4emMYX8-UN-9F7%3DwKOmwO%2BZHNx8Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Clarity is self-created. The universe is waiting on you, not the other way around - Me.

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” - G. Bernard Shaw

"Life is what happens while you are busy making plans" - John Lennon

NAMASTE!!!!! Yeah I said it!!

Sathia S

Dec 9, 2013, 11:55:13 AM12/9/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Have you heard about Faye. This is good gem for implementing chat and notification feature in Ruby on rails. Have a look into it. You can subscribe and listen to a node using faye.

http://railscasts.com/episodes/260-messaging-with-faye

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM, bertly_the_coder <muc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a membership based application and would like to add a chat/instant messaging feature for members to chat amongst each other. I'm thinking facebook chat where the chats are either chat(when both are online) or are delivered to the inbox, when offline or blocked. Any suggestions?

Regards
sathia

Here I share my experiments with open source.

tamouse pontiki

Dec 10, 2013, 9:51:54 AM12/10/13
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:05 AM, bertly_the_coder <muc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a membership based application and would like to add a chat/instant messaging feature for members to chat amongst each other. I'm thinking facebook chat where the chats are either chat(when both are online) or are delivered to the inbox, when offline or blocked. Any suggestions?

Set up a jabber service, just like facebook does?