Review Board 3.0.14 is out

Christian Hammond

Mar 19, 2019, 1:03:12 PM3/19/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Review Board 3.0.14 is out. It features a handful of bug fixes for integrations, extraneous avatar-related log warnings, hosting service hooks, and more. It also has new support for fallback avatars (for when no other avatar service is available for the user) and a whole new UI for managing integrations.

The full announcement with pretty screenshots is here:

Christian

--
Christian Hammond
President/CEO of Beanbag

Paul Mansfield

Mar 26, 2019, 1:17:34 PM3/26/19
to Review Board Community
Hi,
the installation instructions for the free version

says "Review Board 3.0.14 can be installed using yum from the EPEL repository"

however, all I can see in EPEL is 2.5.17. I have tried four different EPEL mirrors.

please can someone fix the uploads to EPEL?

thanks,
Paul

Stephen Gallagher

Mar 27, 2019, 6:12:35 AM3/27/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, I maintain the EPEL releases. I'm not sure why the doc says that EPEL supports 3.x, but it doesn't (and cannot, right now), support 3.x due to incompatibilities with the packages shipped by RHEL 7.x.

I just released Review Board 3.0.14 in Fedora 28, 29 and 30 (pre-release) via modules: `yum module install reviewboard:3.0`

Christian Hammond

Mar 27, 2019, 6:15:08 AM3/27/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
The page was written back when EPEL supported the latest versions. We might be better off just removing the EPEL reference here and specifying the yum module instructions. If there's specific instructions we should replace the existing stuff with, I'll make the change.

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Stephen Gallagher

Mar 27, 2019, 6:46:19 AM3/27/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 6:15 AM Christian Hammond <chri...@beanbaginc.com> wrote:
The page was written back when EPEL supported the latest versions. We might be better off just removing the EPEL reference here and specifying the yum module instructions. If there's specific instructions we should replace the existing stuff with, I'll make the change.

Well, the good news is that one RB 4.0 is out with python 3 support, I should be able to get that running on EPEL 7, since all of the python 3 stack is in EPEL, not RHEL.

Also, once EPEL 8 is released, I’ll be able to port the Fedora module version there as well.

Christian Hammond

Mar 27, 2019, 6:48:18 AM3/27/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
RB 4 won't have any official Python 3 support. A lot of work has been done to make RB 4 run on Python 3 with Django 1.11, but there's still many problems to solve and a lot of work for us to do to prepare customers for some breaking changes, so we won't be providing anything official until RB 5.

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Daniel

Aug 20, 2019, 11:00:03 AM8/20/19
to Review Board Community
Hi Christian and Stephen,

I just scanned the forums for possible updates concerning the version-compatilities/ version-availabilites and found this post from March.

Some time ago when i was even more unexperienced in the ways of how the system needs to be to be able to run reviewboard i asked about EPELs and RHELs for revieboard 3.x (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/reviewboard/mSQPKhkKmMw/zFkNNf3gBgAJ)

Since that time we are using RB in the Version 2.5.17 (the Version available via yum like Paul mentioned).

If i understand it correctly, than an EPEL can be configured for the RHEL7 and afterwards i can use yum to install something out of that EPEL7 repo (e.g. reviewboard)

Stephen was hoping that RB4 might be able to be delivered that way and Christian was reducing that hope as there are still other hindering factors so that the earliest maybe possible version of reviewboard available via an EPEL again might be RB5. But this still is just a possibility and not certain.

We are working with RHEL7 Machines and i personally do not have much legroom to customize that install ... so i was curious what your last messages in this thread might mean for me and my usecase.

I would be very happy if you would maybe find the time to describe the way (if there is any) in that i might be able to install a "more modern than 2.5.17"-version of RB into a RHEL7 system without manually installing too many dependencies.

TIA and cheers
Daniel

Stephen Gallagher

Aug 20, 2019, 11:03:42 AM8/20/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Short version: I probably can't provide RB 3.0+ on EPEL 7 any time
soon. However, I do expect to be able to deliver 3.0 and later on EPEL
8 within the next six months. We have support for
Modularity/AppStreams in the works there and I will be able to package
the newer versions of Review Board for RHEL/CentOS 8.1+

Daniel

Aug 21, 2019, 3:30:53 AM8/21/19
to Review Board Community
Stephen, thank you for helping me to a better understanding.

Since yesterday I read up about EPEL usage with RHEL and now i think i have a better grasp of this.

If i got it right, to do a "yum install reviewboard" with more up to date RB-versions it would be feasible to wait a bit until i can get my hands on an RHEL8 machine, get the EPEL configured (epel-release-latest-8), regularly check for good news concerning RB via EPEL and upon arrival be happily installing via yum (not that i am not happy already, having realized once more what an amount of time you pour into this!)

So thank you once more and now i am back in lurkmode :)