Reviewboard 3.0 RPM availability

se...@m2mobi.com

Apr 20, 2018, 5:10:14 AM4/20/18
to Review Board Community
For Reviewboard 2.x there's EPEL RPM packages available, I'm just wondering if Reviewboard is planning to make RPM packages available for version 3.0 as well.

Regards,
Sean Molenaar

Stephen Gallagher

Apr 20, 2018, 12:57:52 PM4/20/18
to revie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 5:10 AM <se...@m2mobi.com> wrote:
For Reviewboard 2.x there's EPEL RPM packages available, I'm just wondering if Reviewboard is planning to make RPM packages available for version 3.0 as well.

I've been working on it, but it's difficult because EPEL 7 has a lot of packages that are very old and hard to update. (Also, EPEL has a policy against replacing any package shipped by RHEL/CentOS).

However, I *do* now have packages working against Fedora 28:  https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-MODULAR-2018-d31893afa3

It can be installed on F28 Beta by running the command:
`dnf install @reviewboard:3.0`

I'm hoping to get an update out to EPEL 7 at some point, but it's slow going and my dayjob is coming down hard on me at the moment. For the time being, I'm only committing to maintaining updates on the 2.5.x line.

As always, anyone who would like to help me maintain these in Fedora/EPEL should speak up.

Stephen Gallagher

Apr 20, 2018, 12:59:36 PM4/20/18
to revie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Stephen Gallagher <ste...@gallagherhome.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 5:10 AM <se...@m2mobi.com> wrote:
For Reviewboard 2.x there's EPEL RPM packages available, I'm just wondering if Reviewboard is planning to make RPM packages available for version 3.0 as well.

I've been working on it, but it's difficult because EPEL 7 has a lot of packages that are very old and hard to update. (Also, EPEL has a policy against replacing any package shipped by RHEL/CentOS).

However, I *do* now have packages working against Fedora 28:  https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-MODULAR-2018-d31893afa3

It can be installed on F28 Beta by running the command:
`dnf install @reviewboard:3.0`

Oops, I should specify that this will only work from a Fedora 28 *Server Edition* install at the moment, due to some incompatibility to updating via PackageKit (used with Workstation).

Kirby Zhou

Jun 1, 2018, 10:21:11 AM6/1/18
to Review Board Community
Instead of EPEL RPM, maybe docker image is much more easy.
I am trying ikatson/reviewboard now, but it need some modification to use mysql.

daniel.f...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2018, 12:18:21 PM7/18/18
to Review Board Community
Hi Stephen,

would you maybe have had the possibility to look into a rpm for EPEL7? (not sure about either grammar or EPEL naming ... i think i am asking for something i can install via yum :)

I was just asking something in a different thread which got a nice and comprehensive reply by Christian Hammond ... also concerning a RB 3.x for yum ... quoting from (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/reviewboard-dev/2MuigbF_-X8/wU-aPDPKBgAJ)

For c), I'm not sure of the current status there. This is not a Review Board issue exactly, but rather a packaging issue, which I think is being solved now? Basically, we need some older versions of some modules for very good reasons I don't want to go into at the moment (various compatibility... things...) and this makes packaging a bit harder. I think that's being addressed through a new modular packaging system in Fedora. Stephen can go into details more.

This quote is about helping Reviewboard 3.x being made available for Redhat rpm yum stuff ... as he mentioned that you might comment on that, i'd like to take the opportunity to ask you about it :)

Sadly, i am just a consumer and probably not versed enough to be helpful concerning your plea for help in supporting this kind of backporting stuff that is needed to make RB 3.x available via EPEL.

I tried to install RB in a newer Version  by following the instructions using pip but that lead to just a bunch of errors that i could not comprehend ... after that unsuccessful attempt i had the machine get reverted to previous "untouched" state and afterwards installed the rpm for 2.5.17 ... and now, like stated, i am thumbing my nose at all those nice stuff that is coming in with the 3.x releases :o)

cheers
Daniel

Stephen Gallagher

Jul 18, 2018, 1:23:09 PM7/18/18
to revie...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:18 PM <daniel.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Getting this working on RHEL/CentOS 7 is something I very much want to do, but please understand that I do this in my spare time. I'm not paid to work on ReviewBoard at all. I have ReviewBoard 3.0 now available in Fedora 28 and I am looking into getting it working on EPEL 7, but I won't commit to any particular timeframe, sorry.

daniel.f...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2018, 4:53:39 AM7/19/18
to Review Board Community
Thank you for all your efforts and also that you try to keep on! You have my sympathy and understanding for not mentioning anything about something concerning the concept of a timeframe!