Choco vs choco-moose

Keith Swanson

Nov 18, 2019, 1:43:02 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can anyone speak to the practical difference riding between the choco and choco-moose bars?  I've read the description on the Rivendell site but am curious to hear from others.  I've recently switched from a drop bar Sam to a Clem L with a bosco bar and assume the choco would be somewhere in the middle (it would be for an Appaloosa).  For some reason I find the choco-moose bars to be more aesthetically pleasing than the plain choco bars.

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2019, 2:03:56 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The only differences are the Moose locks you into a 12cm stem reach and the bars in the 'flipped down' position (I've used both). The separate version gives you lots more options.

If you might be interested in a used ChocoMoose gimme a holler, I have one hanging around here without a bike to put it on.

Joe Bernard
Novato CA.

Adam Leibow

Nov 18, 2019, 2:14:17 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
IME anything "-moose" is triangulated and therefore stiffer (can equate to harsher riding); the benefit is it's more rugged for heavy duty riding and stiffer (if you are a bigger rider with a heavy pedal this can be a pro). one other benefit of "-moose" is your bars will never slip down.

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2019, 4:56:58 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oops, the ChocoMoose offer is cancelled. I just got word my custom is on the way, I may need these bars for it.

Garth

Nov 18, 2019, 4:59:16 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

   A bullmoose is great if it's the set angle downward that you prefer, if not, not so much.  Stiffness isn't everything, it depends on the rider preference. It's never as if bars bend and flex in hands like wet noodles, though some act like it does !

WETH

Nov 18, 2019, 6:46:26 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
That was fast turn around for your custom! Congrats!

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2019, 7:07:42 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not bad eh? But I don't know what the wait is at Joe Bell, it's headed there tomorrow. Which means I have to pick a color..I cant decide!

DHans

Nov 18, 2019, 7:19:57 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
I really like British Racing Green. You could accent it with the cream color Riv uses on some models.
Doug

Abcyclehank

Nov 18, 2019, 7:49:17 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
Leah is secretly wishing that you do it in her desired red metallic sparkle paint. Some day down the road your step over Custom will process to her as a non top tube bike and she will be the eventual purchaser of it after all her Clem’s are gone and she looks for a new bike to compliment her 2020 fancy Cheviot.

Contact her for a swatch or paint chip or something if you want to get it just right!

Sorry could not resist,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2019, 8:23:00 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll think of a good one. I didn't mean to hijack this guy's Choco thread, sorry about that.

David Bivins

Nov 18, 2019, 9:36:53 PM11/18/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm one of those who act like "bars bend and flex in hands like wet noodles." Well, not exactly, but I've been in two near-collisions in NYC traffic where I exerted enough force on the bars to twist them downward in the clamp. I love the stability of my boscomoose bars and I'm considering getting the chocomoose to try out someday.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Nov 18, 2019, 10:19:08 PM11/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Moose anything is great! As for NYC and their superior triangulation, the moose triangle gives a solid spot to send a cable through, protecting your bars, stem, shifters, brake levers, and bells.
David, if you're looking to test the bars you're welcome to mine for a couple weeks, they're not currently on a bike.
-Kai

David Bivins

Nov 18, 2019, 11:24:19 PM11/18/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow - thanks! I’ll be in touch.

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 10:19 PM, Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY <kaivi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Moose anything is great! As for NYC and their superior triangulation, the moose triangle gives a solid spot to send a cable through, protecting your bars, stem, shifters, brake levers, and bells.
> David, if you're looking to test the bars you're welcome to mine for a couple weeks, they're not currently on a bike.
> -Kai

tc

Nov 20, 2019, 7:18:17 PM11/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Keith,
I realize bars are a highly personal decision, but the Bullmoose I have on my Clem H is awesome.  For me, the angle, width, and reach are perfect for a bit of an athletic position (more so than Choco or Bosco), w/out being too stretched out.  There are multiple hand positions, and the stiffness is great when standing to pedal.  I have a description in my Clem H write-up with pic's here:  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/Gcwi5GrZ_sg/iPpNYq7VCQAJ

Tom