Joe's Custom

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2020, 11:54:51 PM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Who wants to see pretty Joe Bell paint on a custom Rivendell not-quite-a-mixte? You do, that's who!*

*pics sent from JB, I don't have the frame yet

34158.jpeg
34155.jpeg

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2020, 11:55:43 PM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
34156.jpeg
34157.jpeg

Eric Norris

Apr 29, 2020, 12:04:22 AM4/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
JB does amazing work.

–Eric N

> On Apr 28, 2020, at 8:55 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:54:51 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:
>> Who wants to see pretty Joe Bell paint on a custom Rivendell not-quite-a-mixte? You do, that's who!*
>>
>> *pics sent from JB, I don't have the frame yet

> <34156.jpeg>
> <34157.jpeg>

Robert Tilley

Apr 29, 2020, 12:17:32 AM4/29/20
to 'Eric Norris' via RBW Owners Bunch
Great color choice and an amazing paint job as usual. I visited Joe's shop years ago since he's local and still remember seeing all the Riv and Sachs frames there waiting for paint. I need to go back...

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device

Apr 29, 2020, 12:38:11 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"You might be the happiest person in quarantine."

I might! 🙂

MCT

Apr 29, 2020, 12:49:15 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The white outline is top notch. Great color scheme.

Enjoy
Matt in OKc

Michael Baquerizo

Apr 29, 2020, 8:55:07 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, did you spec that red yourself? How would you describe it? I'm getting a Sam painted before it comes to o me and I am trying to get a particular red that Richard Sachs used for a season recently. Your red seems a similar 'light red' leaning, aka on its way to way to pink but not quite. It could obviously just be the photos and my phone but curious to hear your input. Thanks in advance.

masmojo

Apr 29, 2020, 8:58:30 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Striking!

🤙🏼

lconley

Apr 29, 2020, 9:40:31 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful!

Laing

Collin A

Apr 29, 2020, 10:17:10 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice! It looks like a lighter colored version of the original hunqapillar color scheme. Hopefully it finds its way home to you soon!

Collin in Sac

John Hawrylak

Apr 29, 2020, 10:42:27 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe

Great out of the box choice in picking a red contrasting head tube.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Brian Campbell

Apr 29, 2020, 10:50:55 AM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can I put a bid in now for when your selling it for in 6 moths? ;-) Very nice and great color choices!I hope you thousands and thousands of happy miles from it!

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 1:53:30 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Michael: I saw a Kirk frame in the gallery at Joe Bell's site that had these colors. In discussion with JB we variously referred to it as Ferrari Red and Porsche Red, after it was painted he said the specific shade he used is called Rad Red. I believe Richard Sachs was mentioned as having used that one at some point, but my memory is a little vague on that. I'm not sure I see pink in it but it's definitely a bright red, I was specific that I wasn't going for any kind of brick-type darker shading.

Collin: Yes we discussed the Hunqapillar, or more specifically Mark @ Riv's custom on Joe's gallery page which was the predecessor to it. The idea was to do a lightened up version of that scheme with the Kirk frame's colors. Worked out nicely, don't you think?

Brian: Save your money and I'll sell it to you when I'm too old and creaky to ride. See ya in 20 years! 😂

MCT

Apr 29, 2020, 2:05:06 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
After detailed analysis, Inhave

RichS

Apr 29, 2020, 2:26:06 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

The Riv badge on the red head tube. Luscious is a word that comes to mind! Thank you for sharing the images.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 2:35:49 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Rich! The badge looks great on red, doesn't it! That was a factor I hadn't even thought about when working out the paint scheme.

I thought y'all might like to see the Kirk pic that started me down this road.
Screenshot_20200116-074005_Chrome.jpg

Toshi Takeuchi

Apr 29, 2020, 2:37:11 PM4/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's probably the most beautiful headtube I've ever seen!

Toshi

Patrick Moore

Apr 29, 2020, 2:37:16 PM4/29/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
That is a rather nice color scheme. I generally don't care for gray, but I'd make an exception for this paint job.

Patrick Moore

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 2:47:55 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick: I'm a late bloomer to gray, it's never been high on my list as a guy still heavy into his Miami Vice neons..gimme pink and turquoise! But I've grown to really like the grilver on my FJ and recently-owned Clem L, both bikes I didn't have a color choice on. I also loved the original Hunqapillar, so all the pieces started to fit when I saw the Kirk pic: It's gray AND neon!

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 3:11:10 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Btw if you want to drive yourself crazy with beautiful frames in dozens of gorgeous colors, check out the Kirk galleries at joebell.net, kirkframeworks.com and Kirk's Instagram. Cuh-RAZY!

JAS

Apr 29, 2020, 3:37:21 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a stunning paint job and choice of colors....I love the front view that shows the head tube with the tiny hearts and the down tube heart in the same shot.

Crimson and gray....Go Cougs!  (For those of you unfamiliar with that phrase, it's all about Washington State University and though the bike's "rad red" isn't quite crimson, I just had to say it as a loyal WSU grad.)

--Joyce

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 3:48:49 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joyce! Go Cougs! (I don't watch the foot ball and know nothing of Cougs, but your enthusiasm is infectious 🙂)

Michael Baquerizo

Apr 29, 2020, 3:53:03 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rad red. I mustered up some courage and asked Richard Sachs on instagram and he said Joe called his paint rad red as well. Unfortunately that doesn't translate to much for d&d (unless it does). but i'll be sure to show him your photo as well.

Thanks and the more I see your bike the more I like it. Great color.

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 4:03:50 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Thanks and the more I see your bike the more I like it. Great color."

Your bike is going to look..well..RAD! I did consider doing the whole thing Rad Red at one point, that color POPS!

Leah Peterson

Apr 29, 2020, 4:27:10 PM4/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Listen, I don’t want to say I told you so to the lot of you, but I have been singing the praises of a good, strong red paint forEVER.

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 1:03 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Thanks and the more I see your bike the more I like it. Great color."
>
> Your bike is going to look..well..RAD! I did consider doing the whole thing Rad Red at one point, that color POPS!

Roberta

Apr 29, 2020, 4:57:11 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

It's a really nice color combination and I love how the white pinstripe sets off the dark bold red from the understated and lovely dove grey.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entire bike!

Roberta

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 5:18:33 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Listen, I don’t want to say I told you so to the lot of you, but I have been singing the praises of a good, strong red paint forEVER."

It's true. I'm not saying Our Bicycle Belle also convinced me of the qualities of gray/silver, but I'm not saying she DIDN'T 😉

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 5:21:52 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"It's a really nice color combination and I love how the white pinstripe sets off the dark bold red from the understated and lovely dove grey.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entire bike!"

Thanks, Roberta! The pinstripe is amazing isn't it? I'm so excited, I can't wait to see it live in person!

Leah Peterson

Apr 29, 2020, 5:33:16 PM4/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am a fan of gray! I really do think grilver is one of the best colors RBW ever created. My teenager’s little Clem is so regal - and even more so how he’s got it adorned - monochromatically. I usually like a lot of pizazz, but the grilver stands on its own.

I also love the RBW blue that Roberta references (I have it on my Clementine), mostly because it refuses to be just one hue and is an array of sparkly blues/greens. RBW got that one right, too.

But I LOVE red, and I think it looks great put with the dove gray in this custom.

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Listen, I don’t want to say I told you so to the lot of you, but I have been singing the praises of a good, strong red paint forEVER."
>
> It's true. I'm not saying Our Bicycle Belle also convinced me of the qualities of gray/silver, but I'm not saying she DIDN'T 😉

RichS

Apr 29, 2020, 5:45:06 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

You also get to have your initials on the chainstay:-)

Rich in ATL

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 5:48:04 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"You also get to have your initials on the chainstay:-)"

YES!

Carla Waugh

Apr 29, 2020, 6:16:47 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful!!!

Abcyclehank

Apr 29, 2020, 6:16:58 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow oh Wow 🤩.

This exceeds even my high standards. This has me itching to bribe Grant to produce a 68cm custom of my own (for me) currently own a used RBW Blue one I found; if I do I am
Going to steal Joe’s color combo.
I can imaging that a Copenhagen wheel would nearly match perfectly also.
So pretty so classy so Joe 🤣

Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2020, 6:19:50 PM4/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes indeed, Ryan, a Copenhagen Wheel would I think be a perfect match. Now they just need to make a 650B version for mine!

Mark Roland

Apr 30, 2020, 7:01:21 AM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Say what?!! Need a spoiler alert--I'm only a few chapters into The Two Towers with Mack, and it's all new to me again, after half a century or so.

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 12:36:28 AM UTC-4, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
...Like Gandalf the Grey —> Gandalf the White.

Mark Roland

Apr 30, 2020, 7:11:46 AM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well that was borderline rude.Beautiful looking bicycle frameset. I look forward to seeing the build! All silver? Mix of silver and black would be my choice with this color palette. Are you planning on fenders? Black fenders would be killer on this rig.

Melanie

Apr 30, 2020, 8:51:02 AM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gorgeous. It’s a brilliant combo of subtle + exciting. So have you chosen the components yet?

Joe Bernard

Apr 30, 2020, 11:12:01 AM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
About parts. I'm starting with stuff I have around here, most of it off my recent Clem L (plus a 650B wheelset from a bigger Clem H I had). It will indeed be a black/silver mix, but this is just a starting point. I'm probably going to end up hitting up James and Candice at Analog for a fancy tubeless-compatible wheelset, which may have blingy red hubs. But I need to see it built up with non-blingy silver wheels first to decide if adding more red will be too much. The adventure soon begins!

Ann L

Apr 30, 2020, 3:24:03 PM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful.  I look forward to seeing the finished build.

Roberta

Apr 30, 2020, 8:15:19 PM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
At the very least, red spoke nipples.

Joe Bernard

Apr 30, 2020, 8:30:32 PM4/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That might work, Roberta. I just need the see it live in person and built up first..even to my "love the neons" eyes I'm a little surprised how *bright* the red looks. I don't want to overdo it with red parts, too, but we'll see. As Leah says, how can you have too much red??! 😁

Joe Bernard

May 5, 2020, 10:10:58 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's here, live and in color!
20200505_180717.jpg
20200505_180817.jpg

Joe Bernard

May 5, 2020, 10:12:15 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
20200505_180733.jpg
20200505_180724.jpg

Robert Tilley

May 5, 2020, 10:47:04 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice! Grant did say get those bars up and those are definitely up. I'm really liking that seat cluster!

Robert Tilley
San Diego's ego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device

May 5, 2020, 10:51:11 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Way up! But probably not staying that way, this was just to get bars and my repair stand post in the frame so I could take pics of it sorta looking like a ridable bicycle. The saddle will be lower for sure. Stay tuned!

Leah Peterson

May 5, 2020, 11:30:19 PM5/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
See, this bike looks modern to me...and I like that about it. Sometimes I think Riv’s bikes (though gorgeous) look a bit dated, but this is a fresh take that retains the Rivendell DNA. This could catch on!

But I drive around with overinflated tires, so what do I know...😜

Hurry up and build this bike my clothes are going out of style!

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 5, 2020, at 7:51 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Way up! But probably not staying that way, this was just to get bars and my repair stand post in the frame so I could take pics of it sorta looking like a ridable bicycle. The saddle will be lower for sure. Stay tuned!

Joe Bernard

May 5, 2020, 11:53:53 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Hurry up and build this bike my clothes are going out of style!"

Funny story about that: Grant asked me when I was going to finish the build and I said "by midnight." He laughed and shook his head 'no' and I asked when HE thought I would be finished. He said, "In a few days." Riv World knows me too well!

JAS

May 6, 2020, 12:01:32 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a beauty, Joe.  Congratulations!

Joe Bernard

May 6, 2020, 12:16:00 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joyce! 🙂

Mark Roland

May 6, 2020, 7:46:15 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The reason it looks so modern and fresh is it has the Neutron Posi-flow Hypodrive Airshaft System installed, so you don't get all that clutter of cranks, derailleurs, chain, pedals, cables, etc. Leave it to Joe to be on the Rivendell cutting edge.

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 11:30:19 PM UTC-4, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
See, this bike looks modern to me...and I like that about it. Sometimes I think Riv’s bikes (though gorgeous) look a bit dated, but this is a fresh take that retains the Rivendell DNA. This could catch on!

But I drive around with overinflated tires, so what do I know...😜

Hurry up and build this bike my clothes are going out of style!

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 5, 2020, at 7:51 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Way up! But probably not staying that way, this was just to get bars and my repair stand post in the frame so I could take pics of it sorta looking like a ridable bicycle. The saddle will be lower for sure. Stay tuned!

DHans

May 6, 2020, 8:47:08 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
That's a fine looking bike my friend. The paint colors are spot on. You need to name it!!
Doug

DHans

May 6, 2020, 8:51:02 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Regarding names, I'll make the first suggestion...The Ptubeless Pterodactyl?
Doug

Abcyclehank

May 6, 2020, 11:23:40 AM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe

Thank you for sharing you custom, builds, ebike expertise, and personal opinions on this list and privately; you are cherished for your genuineness and candor. Stay safe and enjoy your bike world it is much needed during these times.

Sincerely,
Ryan
West Michigan

Joe Bernard

May 6, 2020, 1:46:04 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark: Where we're going, we don't NEED drivetrains.

Doug: Hehe, I've never named a bike. Maybe I should ask Grant for one of his names he comes up with to see what this one would be called.

Ryan: Thanks man, much appreciated.

Here's an interesting aside: Last night my daughter said the paint "looks like a vintage Formula One racer." This morning a friend (also a ladyperson) said "It looks like it belongs to someone who likes cars." I feel seen!

Roberta

May 6, 2020, 6:43:52 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

You know I love the look of your bike and I appreciate the photos you've shared.  Cannot wait to see the final build and hear about your maiden ride.

I know you are a car lover from way back; was it conscious or unconscious that you choose those colors?

Roberta

Joe Bernard

May 6, 2020, 7:21:33 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta: Completely unconscious. It started as the idea from Mark @ Riv's custom, which later became the original Hunqapillar scheme. Then I brightened it up based on the Kirk frame I saw. I like cars and car racing, but had no idea that connection would be made by people who know me and looked at the bike. Pretty cool!

Mark Roland

May 6, 2020, 9:16:58 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

So I guess that would make you...

Roberta

May 6, 2020, 9:21:14 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Subconscious.  Whether you realize it or not, you made those choices based on your likes.

Joe Bernard

May 6, 2020, 10:42:28 PM5/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark: Yes, Tom Cruise and I have a lot in common, we like fast cars and are the same age. Too bad about his looks, though...

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 1:12:37 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's done! Grant was right, it took me most of the week 😬
Well it's starter done, you know how that goes. Cables are too long because I might swap the Loscos for the intended Boscos, but this felt really good today. Still need a fd and another chainring or two, but I'm not in a hurry for that.

It's perfect. Comfortable, beautiful, with a nice springy ride..basically it's a Rivendell. But a Rivendell built to my size and riding style, with my CRAZY-good-looking choice of Joe Bell paint. I'm so glad I finally did this, I love it!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/48n9n7QNsrJRZBns6

John Hawrylak

May 8, 2020, 1:56:39 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe

Beautiful frame/fork and very nice build.

Do you know the upslope angle of the Top Tube???  Looks fairly steep, almost as much as a mixte.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 2:02:30 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
John: I don't know but the plan was for it to be a smidge higher than, say, a 55cm Cheviot. So it's almost-a-mixte, or as a mixte-fan-friend put it today, "It's a mixte, Joe, I don't care what you say." 😁

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 2:28:25 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A few of you will notice the unconventional shifter placement. I have basal arthritis which is (so far) confined to my right hand. I shift the lotta-gears with my left hand, if I use a fd I put that shifter on the right because I'm not shifting the front very often. Looks kinda wonky, but I can ride my bike!

Roberta

May 8, 2020, 3:56:47 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's SO nice. I bet you had a most fun week building that. I hope you have an equally fun weekend riding it. Post pics of the lake or wherever else you go.

in Dallas nick

May 8, 2020, 9:07:18 AM5/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done Joe!

The many little details all over the frame are remarkably beautiful.

It's like a voyage of discovery in itself to check them all out.

Enjoy thousands of miles of great rides on it.

Paul in Dallas

(I once had a 1999 Riv Custom Road bike, I referred to as the triple Joe.)

Bill Schairer

May 8, 2020, 9:13:35 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
“ It's perfect. Comfortable, beautiful, with a nice springy ride..basically it's a Rivendell. But a Rivendell built to my size and riding style, with my CRAZY-good-looking choice of Joe Bell paint. I'm so glad I finally did this, I love it!”

Joe,

I had a custom touring bike built for me in 1978 and it is still the bike I ride the most. 42 years plus what you expressed is what makes it so so worth it. Congratulations. That is YOUR bike and nobody else has one.

Bill S

j.schwartz

May 8, 2020, 10:23:35 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What are the approximate sizes for the tubes here?
Did you spec the wheel size or did GP ?
Plans for racks? Looks great.

Pancake

May 8, 2020, 11:34:59 AM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks fantastic Joe! How do you like those DXR MX70 brakes?

I read about you having the rear shifter on the British side, but does the cable on the down tube touch or run the frame at all? Looks so close in the photos and wouldn’t want that Joe Bell paint to see a scuff.

Clem wheels and tires on it too?

Love those Losco bars, shows lots of stem but the bars look ideal.

Leah Peterson

May 8, 2020, 12:11:42 PM5/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow, it looks great, even if a bit too pristine. Worry not, I’m sure you’ll ding that Joe Bell paint soon, and then it will really be perfect! 😜

Oh, I kid. It looks really good and I love that saddle. Now you can go get to know it; that part always takes some time but it’s so fun building a relationship with your bike. As much as I love my Clementine, I don’t have the trust with it that I had with my old Betty Foy. Old bikes are like old friends; you can enjoy them with no surprises.

Enjoy it and ride the wheels off.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 7, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's done! Grant was right, it took me most of the week 😬
> Well it's starter done, you know how that goes. Cables are too long because I might swap the Loscos for the intended Boscos, but this felt really good today. Still need a fd and another chainring or two, but I'm not in a hurry for that.
>
> It's perfect. Comfortable, beautiful, with a nice springy ride..basically it's a Rivendell. But a Rivendell built to my size and riding style, with my CRAZY-good-looking choice of Joe Bell paint. I'm so glad I finally did this, I love it!
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/48n9n7QNsrJRZBns6

Jesse

May 8, 2020, 1:22:00 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joe. Lot of stem! May I ask why not a longer head tube (and/or toptube)?

Either way, that thing is tremendous and you have very fine taste in bicycles.

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 1:52:26 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
J: I've never been good at retaining the common numbers for tube diameters, but they look to my eye like what was on my Appaloosa. I suspect the tubes are a lighter spec than that touring frame, though, it felt lighter in my hand.

No racks or fenders for now, my current somewhat limited riding situation doesn't have use for them so I'm just going to ride it as is with bar and seat bags. One thing I need is a kickstand, I forgot to order it!

Pancake: The DXR brakes work great (like every Shimano v-brake ever made), and look swanky. I actually had a note expensive brake set aside for this (Bombshell) but they're black and I got suckered into the chrome w/black on the DXR brakes and levers so here we are. Chrome, baby!

The shifter cable isn't rubbing the toptube, but will certainly wear on the headtube over time. I'm kinda in Leah's camp (and Grant's) on this one: pretty (and pricey) paint is nice, but the reality is it's just cover over tubes for a product you use outdoors for fun and exercise. I'm notoriously OCD about scratches and am learning from those two folks that it's no way to live! So the cable will get shortened - it looks ridiculous right now - and that will pull it away a bit, but cable rub happens.

Yep, Clem 650B wheels with terrible Kenda Kwick tires because I had them around. I'll get fancy wheels befitting a custom frame later, but honestly these are fine. Only vanity prevents me from just leaving them there 😬

Pancake and Jesse: I didn't spec the headtube height, I just told Grant what I needed out of a bike - the toptube placement is my spec - and let him do his thing. The headtube is high enough I think without having that "it's way higher that the seattube" look..I like the symmetry there. The plan (which Grant knew) was for Boscos, which would drop that stem some. But I grabbed these Loscos recently and don't mind the long stem so I plopped them on the custom to see how it goes because they're cool!

Thanks for all the nice thoughts and compliments, everybody! Even Leah's, although she thinks it's too pretty and I should go lean it on a pole 😂

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 4:27:21 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a thing I'd like y'all to notice, with the disclaimer that I got the idea from another Riv custom so not my original thought: Check out the heart lug and RBW decal rising above the toptube. This is an intentional look; I wanted the low stepover, but also that section of the frame to be exposed. I like that the decal and heart "announce" themselves when you walk up to the bike.
20200507_155909.jpg

Abcyclehank

May 8, 2020, 4:46:56 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

I like the triple heart ❤️ ❤️ ❤️alignment on the seat tube. Nicely imitated and passed along to others as well.

I have seen many of your bikes with similar stem exposure and think it is fine and obviously serves your needs. However since so many observers think you should switch to Boscos to reduce the visual effect for observers not riding the bike, send me the Loscos and I will ship you the lugged custom stem for Frank.

JK but not really.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 4:58:04 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Holy crap there's hearts in the RBW decal. I didn't even notice that!

I confess I'm surprised anyone noticed a tall stem. Don't ALL Rivs have a tall stem??

Ann L

May 8, 2020, 7:46:27 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe:

I really like how the bike turned out.  The colors are striking and remind me of vintage 70's bikes (in a good way).  How do the Losco's compare to other handlebars?  I had either them or Billie bars in mind for my next bike.  I really like the comfort of my Bosco's on my Appaloosa and would like something in that range.  Also, what pedals are those?

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 8:06:19 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Ann!

I think the Loscos compare favorably to Albatross and Choco, which are in the Billie range. Not so much Bosco because even though they're derived from that shape, they're cut down so much as to be a very different bar. Which is a fact I mentioned to Will @ Riv when I first saw them, Nitto took a bar designed for big height and knocked the big height out of it!

Pedals are Deity Black Kat, which is all I use. I get them from James and Candice at Analog Cycles.

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 8:18:52 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also should add - pursuant to my comment to Will - the Loscos really don't have a reason to exist that can't be accomplished with a slammed stem and a Bosco. I like them because they look COOL.

Joe Bernard

May 8, 2020, 10:05:24 PM5/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update! Your complaints have been answered - ok, I just wanted shorter reach - and now we have less quill showing AND higher bars. Neat trick, eh? I trimmed that derailer cable back a bit, too.
20200508_184536.jpg
20200508_184553.jpg

Ray Varella

May 9, 2020, 1:14:22 PM5/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That’s really nice Joe.

It looks like it will clear a pretty fat tire.
It’s got comfort written all over it.

Ray

Hetchins52

May 9, 2020, 5:58:06 PM5/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Crisp, clean and quite beautiful!
Yes, that stem works better with the Losco bars.

David Lipsky
Berkeley, CA

Joe Bernard

May 9, 2020, 6:13:17 PM5/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Ray and David, I'm over the moon about it. SUPER comfy!

Evan E.

May 10, 2020, 3:13:26 PM5/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike, Joe! Love the paint and everything else. The gray and red reminds me of the darker gray and vermillion colors that Miyata used on its 310 model circa 1986 (attached pics pulled from the web). But your bike is even better, of course, because it's a Riv and because it's yours.
IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg

Joe Bernard

May 10, 2020, 3:25:06 PM5/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ooh, that's gorgeous. Melanie Yolles mentioned that my paint reminded her of vintage road bikes, now I see it!

Joe Bernard

May 14, 2020, 2:30:23 PM5/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update: Hey Pancake, remember you were concerned about the shifter cable being too close to the downtube (which I inexplicably called a toptube in my response)? Whelp, you meant the cable wire when I thought you meant the housing that always rubs on headtubes. I'm in the process of swapping things around to have two shifters and holy crap the wire was right on the paint! I really should have looked closer when you mentioned this. Fortunately Joe Bell paint is pretty tough and I haven't shifted much yet so I didn't scratch anything. Sheesh!

Steve Palincsar

May 14, 2020, 2:40:17 PM5/14/20

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Hetchins52

May 14, 2020, 2:58:00 PM5/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
If you set this up to have two shifters and you keep the rear shifter on the left, cross the housings in front of the head tube and keep the wires on their respective sides of the down tube. They won't interfere with the paint or the 3rd water bottle bosses and the routing will keep the housings away from the head tube. It's an ideal situation for that configuration! (If they don't fight the brake cables, interfere with a bag, etc.)
I use Steve's rubber sleeves, too, on head tubes. They have a slit for installation and can go on anywhere without disconnecting cables. (JagWire?)
Also, get some helicopter tape for places where there may be some occasional rubbing and as a chain slap guard.

David Lipsky

Joseph Bernard

May 14, 2020, 3:03:44 PM5/14/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Indeed David, this is happening as we speak. The cables/housing are on their normal sides, then they cross over in front of the headtube (with room to spare, I cut the housing long) to reach the swapped shifters. All good 👍

Joe Bernard

May 16, 2020, 4:05:00 AM5/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My frame is in the new Blahg with lots of cool notes about the incredible Joe Bell paint. If you've ever wondered if it would be cool to get a custom Rivendell then have it featured on the Blahg, the answer is it's very cool!

DHans

May 16, 2020, 9:17:53 AM5/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
That was a fun read about your custom. A $1,200 paint job, wow! It does look to be meticulously done and such a nice color combination.
Doug

Joe Bernard

May 16, 2020, 3:43:38 PM5/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dude I know, the $1200 estimate kinda freaked me out. What if I scratch it?! (That's an inside shoutout to a friend who knows how OCD I am about scratches and mocks me mercilessly for it).

I don't actually know the price either - I just paid the full frame-with-paint cost - but every dollar is visible. The attention to detail on those cream lines in and around the lugs will make your eyes water. Pure art, Joe Bell is the master. I waited 30 years to get one of his masterpieces since first discovering him in Bicycle Guide, and I don't recommend the wait. You got a bike that needs paint? Send it to Joe, pay whatever he asks!

eddietheflay

May 16, 2020, 8:25:30 PM5/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello Joe,

What a beauty. My hands ache but I can still ride electronic shifting bikes and still love to ride drop bars. I know this won't happen...probably, but was thinking about what your bike might look like with drop bars. My bet unique and gorgeous.

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:54:51 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:
Who wants to see pretty Joe Bell paint on a custom Rivendell not-quite-a-mixte? You do, that's who!*

*pics sent from JB, I don't have the frame yet

Joe Bernard

May 16, 2020, 9:02:22 PM5/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My hands wouldn't tolerate drops either, and this long front end would need an Analog Cycles 0° stem to do it, but it would look so cool!

ascpgh

May 17, 2020, 6:42:51 AM5/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
After my Rambouillet's brake bridge broke loose and I had it repaired locally, I investigated respray of the sparkly candy orange and cream color scheme with the same ($1200-ish) response. Having had the bike since new, replacing the drive side dropout and then rebrazing the brake bridge I thought I'd aim that sum toward a down payment on a new frame. There's still enough of the Joe Bell finish to amaze and it has projected Grant's "beausage" to my "beausavage".

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Eric Floden

May 17, 2020, 10:43:24 AM5/17/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ooooo, beausavage!

Love it, thanks

EricF
Vancouver-The-Rainy

Joe Bernard

Aug 13, 2020, 7:19:51 PM8/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
New pics! Of my still pristine custom which Grant would be appalled by but these COVID times have not been good for my riding opportunities, whaddyagonna 🤷

Some changes, I went on a bit of a Shimano NOS spending spree. The chrome-look brakes ended up looking odd to me against the flat gray frame so they were replaced by black (silver lever handle) XT. The Deore rd also got an XT upgrade, and check out those nifty NOS XTR skewers!

Ergons swapped for Jones Grips, and that's my sweet new ti-rail Gilles Berthoud Vars saddle.

Here's a neat thing I recently discovered: I was wiping chain grease off the chainstay and pondering sticking a guard on there when I realized Joe Bell already did. It wraps most of the tube, then if you look real close you can see a cut line where a second clear guard fits behind the chainrings. Cool!

Next up, I grabbed the "lost and found" Bosco Bullmoose on the Riv site. This frame was designed with Boscos in mind so they're going on, and the Losco setup will end up on the Bombadil I just bought. Enjoy the pics!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J5yBt1KKFCZvJxzy5

Joe Bernard

Joseph Bernard

Aug 13, 2020, 7:23:01 PM8/13/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
20200813_155418.jpg
20200813_155610.jpg

Joe Bernard

Aug 13, 2020, 7:24:32 PM8/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

James Valiensi

Aug 13, 2020, 7:49:39 PM8/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is a nice bike. Looks weird but wonderful!

> On Aug 13, 2020, at 4:24 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let's try that again.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/WLqTM6tYGtkHsB4V6

Joe Bernard

Aug 13, 2020, 7:56:53 PM8/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"That is a nice bike. Looks weird but wonderful!"

Hehe, weird but wonderful is my jam! Earlier in this thread Leah (our Bicycle Belle Ding Ding) said "It’s lovely and so very different from the norm, which makes me like it extra." I accept these appraisals! 🙂
It is loading more messages.