Nitto M18 vs Mini Front for carrying a basket

jandrews

May 11, 2019, 1:46:43 PM5/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know the Mini Front is somewhat suspect for carrying a loaded basket on , but is an M18 with the 4 struts (i.,e. 2 to the top of the fork mounts, and 2 to the mid fork braze ons) PLUS the diving board (or not) any better?

Mark Schneider

May 12, 2019, 12:36:47 AM5/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
J. I've used baskets with both, but I tend to use front baskets on these racks for light bulky items. They feel about the same, and I've never ad an issue with them at all. Grant has always rated them at 4 pounds capacity for each. My MUSA Atlantis and Homer don't like more than 2-3 pounds up front IMO. I prefer to hang my generator lights off racks so that's at least 50% of my motivation for running a front rack (on my Riv's). I have a low trail fork with a Rawland Demiporteur rack on an old Litespeed conversion, that rack is rated to 22 pounds, and the bike handles best with 5 pounds up front (or more). These are heavier and less finished, but they work well and I have run them close to capacity (chainsaw).

Mark

John Phillips

May 12, 2019, 1:08:45 PM5/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
There was this RBW Owners Bunch thread from 8/14/18:

Grant is asking us to not run baskets on Nitto Racks

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rbw-owners-bunch/m3Y3EdRhxv4%5B1-25%5D

John

Fullylugged

May 13, 2019, 7:02:25 AM5/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Nitto site still says no baskets on these racks. it's not just the weight, it's the down force on bumps too. There are sturdy racks intended for baskets which are the better choice.

hugh flynn

May 13, 2019, 7:28:12 AM5/13/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As a minor clarification, the direction is not to use baskets with M12 or similar mini racks designed to support a front rando-style bag (which would presumably also be supported by a decaleur).

I do not believe Nitto or anyone else has stated that baskets can not be used with ANY Nitto front rack. The 34F or other full-sized front racks should be fine with a basket.

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, MA

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 7:02 AM Fullylugged <bruce.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Nitto site still says no baskets on these racks.  it's not just the weight, it's the down force on bumps too.  There are sturdy racks intended for baskets which are the better choice.

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, MA

Adam Leibow

May 13, 2019, 12:51:08 PM5/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i have the mark's rack with struts mounted to the mids, struts mounted to the fork dropout eyelets, plus the diving board fork crown hole mount, AND the irish strap through the tombstone and over the bars. I have the large/huge wald 139 ziptied on there, and use the large shopsack. with a huge load (20+lbs) it does become shaky and precarious but nothing i worry about for short trips to the grocery store. it's a solid setup and i've used it for years like this with no issue. if you want more support than this, get a pass & stow!!!

Image-1.jpeg