Bike rack

katherine Evanskbe

Jul 29, 2022, 9:30:39 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looking for recommendations to haul my Cheviot?

Sent from my iPhone

Bruce Baker

Jul 29, 2022, 9:35:48 AM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
1 up usa best rack going tried them all yakima, kuat, thule...1 up usa hands down

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 9:30 AM katherine Evanskbe <kbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking for recommendations to haul my Cheviot?

Sent from my iPhone

lucky...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2022, 9:37:38 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m always going to recommend the 1-up rack. Yes it’s very expensive. I finally gave in and bought one because we have such a variety of bike sizes in my household My only gripe is that it’s very heavy. (We do have the heavy duty version because some of the bikes are quite large/long). But I’m very happy with it (once it’s installed on the car).

> On Jul 29, 2022, at 06:30, katherine Evanskbe <kbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Looking for recommendations to haul my Cheviot?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Jon Dukeman

Jul 29, 2022, 9:38:42 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Depending on your vehicle
Siris. Freedom 2 .
It's a hitch rack.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022, 7:30 AM katherine Evanskbe <kbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking for recommendations to haul my Cheviot?

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Dukeman

Jul 29, 2022, 9:42:30 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Siris is good if you have fenders.
Only weighs 25lb

Colville

Jul 29, 2022, 10:11:07 AM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hollywood Racks make excellent racks that fit all types of bicycles, vintage to modern to everything in between.

Brian Turner

Jul 29, 2022, 10:48:01 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If I was starting from scratch, I would probably go for the 1-Up racks that so many folks here recommend. Yeah, they look heavy a bit clunky, but they really do seem the best fit for all variety of bikes, especially the larger, longer wheelbase bikes and bikes adorned with racks, fenders, baskets, etc.

I really love my Kuat NV 2.0 Base, but there are limitations to it. If your wheelbase is over 50", they won't fit on a Kuat. That would immediately exclude the L-XL Susie / Gus bikes. My medium Gus fits, but just barely.

Chris L

Jul 29, 2022, 11:28:32 AM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the 1-UP heavy duty (I think...at least it's the one with the larger hitch insert) and it was well worth the price I paid for it.  For the first time since 1995, I can carry a bike on the back of my vehicle without giving a second thought to whether it's flapping in the wind or going to somehow come unattached and fall off.  Also, mounting and dismounting a bike literally takes seconds.

I think mine weighs 28 lbs, but because of it's size and shape, it feels much heavier than that.  Still, I could probably unlock it, loosen it and remove it from my car in a couple of minutes.  Most of that time would be from having to get on the ground to access the lock securing it to the hitch.

Jan O.

Jul 29, 2022, 11:44:59 AM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 1UP USA rack as well and love it. I have used it with a long wheelbase MIT Atlantis and now with an Hunqapillar and it works perfectly.

Joe Mullins

Jul 29, 2022, 11:48:09 AM7/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
1up all the way. But if you live in Los Angeles don’t trust the lock and special Allen key that come with them. We have thieves here who can get them off your hitch without leaving a mark. I had a U-lock around mine andthe hitch for years and two weeks with it only locked up with the stock lock and it was gone. I’ve read stories about them getting stolen at trail heads (not sure where) and that’s what originally prompted me to lock them up more.

peec...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2022, 1:24:21 PM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree.  Hollywood racks are quite good and reasonably priced.  Tim Petersen

Colville

Jul 29, 2022, 2:37:48 PM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I highly agree, I love the options to fit many different wheelbases and sizes and types, fenders too!

They also have a simple classic look, nothing fancy, just work well.  If you get the big 4 bike one like I have, i recommend the floor dolly for that sucker to store it, its a bit heavy.

You can go to their website, get the model numbers and what not, amazon has them mostly all in stock.

David Person

Jul 29, 2022, 4:59:21 PM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hollywood Sports Rider SE works will for me.  Bike with and without fenders.  But all my bikes have a normal top tube.  A step thru requires their Bike Frame Adapter Bar to create a fake top tube.

Roberta

Jul 30, 2022, 7:02:22 PM7/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fenders? Racks? Wheelbase?  They could impact your options. I have long wheelbased Platy with fenders and racks. If you have a 60cm Chev it would be in that long territory.

Other things to consider— weight of rack, storage.  Do you need to lock your bike to rack?  For me , typically traveling alone, this was important. Nothing is 100% guaranteed but I’d never leave my bike not locked if I’d need to leave it on rack while I left it for a bio break or bite to eat. And, I’m not taking about the built in Lock, I ’m talking about u lock or chain lock bike to carrier.  I cannot  lift one-up and didn’t trust the fender option.

I had the Kuat Beta and thought a terrific rack, best hanging rack out there. Being a hanging rack, it checked all the boxes for me except it took awhile to load bike with pipe insulation on the frame contact pints and Irish straps to lessens the sway.  I use rack a lot and was ok with the time issue until I found Saris freedom I’d wanted on Craig’s list.

 If I had to buy new, it would be saris freedom. I also think saris superclamp is worth a look although superclamp doesn’t tick the “lock bike” I saw it on another RBW’s car and he loved it.

It’s fun finding new places to ride.

Roberta

lucky...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2022, 7:09:26 PM7/30/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love my 1-Up but it weighs so much. I have two add-ons so we can carry four bikes, and I absolutely can’t keep it all assembled all the time...too heavy and awkward. Also, on my son’s very large bike with rear Blackburn rack, the rack “arm” can’t lock to the wheel on that end. I use a strap in addition to the rack on that bike.
I think maybe no rack is perfect though and this one is the best of the many I have tried. YMMV.

On Jul 30, 2022, at 16:02, Roberta <rcha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fenders? Racks? Wheelbase?  They could impact your options. I have long wheelbased Platy with fenders and racks. If you have a 60cm Chev it would be in that long territory.

Roberta

Jul 30, 2022, 7:17:07 PM7/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do you keep your one up base on your car all the time?

lucky...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2022, 7:22:10 PM7/30/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No I don’t. I have the 2” heavy duty double with two single add ons. I also have a minivan. So in the rare occasion the van is full and I can’t put two bikes inside I need all four trays. In that case I put on the double onto the car and then mount each add on separately.
But I don’t leave it on because it was a huge investment and I’m afraid it will get swiped, so I wrassle that sucker inside for storage.