Bombadil

John McBurney

Oct 6, 2019, 8:54:00 PM10/6/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m considering sellingBombadil. What do you think a reasonable price would be?  It’s a Waterford frame, Joe Bell paint. Nitto, Sun XCD, SON, Bush and Mueller,  Honjo, Brooks, Compass. Nicer than any 10 year old bike has a right to be.

It’s just too short for me and I’m not riding it.

John

Abcyclehank

Oct 6, 2019, 9:07:12 PM10/6/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
John,
What size is it. Supply and demand plays a huge factor. Also a big variable is full build or f/f/hs/bb etc. if you are looking to replace this bike with a larger frame of some kind the parts/build could be kept and meet your needs better than whoever may be purchasing the full bike.
That said I have a Bombadil that I will never part with because it fits me like a glove. I biasedly believe it is one of the greatest most beautiful bikes Grant and Rivendell ever produced. It also is more versatile than many believe.
Good luck with your sale.
Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

John McBurney

Oct 6, 2019, 9:14:55 PM10/6/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s a 52.

John

John McBurney

Oct 6, 2019, 9:25:45 PM10/6/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would want to sell a complete build.

I’ve built up a Rohloff Gates belt bike that covers the same riding spectrum as ol’ Tom but fits me better.

I can provide a complete build description to anyone interested on request. It’s typical Riv. No corner cut but no money wasted.

John

David Bivins

Oct 6, 2019, 9:45:45 PM10/6/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is a beautiful bike. I wish I had a budget right now.

John McBurney

Oct 6, 2019, 9:47:24 PM10/6/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Details include a Sun XCD crank with removable spider, 2 set ups. A mountain double pictured with TA rings, and a second compact road double.

Sun XCD derailleurs Paul thumbies, dura ace bar cons, new 8 speed cassette and chain. Paul Motolites and levers. Nitto bull moose painted  to match, campy HS, Shimano XT square taper bb. Compass extralight 48 x 650b tires minimal wear. SON front hub. Bush and Mueller IQ Tec Senso light and rear light. Nitto S83 post, Brooks B67 honey.

John

Joe Bernard

Oct 6, 2019, 11:19:05 PM10/6/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey John, what's the toptube length? I know my Rivs pretty well, but I confess I haven't a clue about Bombadil sizing.

Garth

Oct 7, 2019, 4:12:40 AM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
  Joe, the Bombadil frame specs are still included in the current Riv geo charts, at the bottom in gray.

John McBurney

Oct 7, 2019, 7:21:09 AM10/7/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The TT is 22” center to Center

John

Joe Bernard

Oct 7, 2019, 12:29:23 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
So no one has any idea what this should go for? I know *I* don't, and I consider myself sorta expertly at Riv values 🤷

Bill Lindsay

Oct 7, 2019, 12:52:33 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’d ballpark the frame fork headset and bars at like $1600. To replicate the build you buyer would need to budget around $4500 but most buyers prefer to do their own thing. If you insist on selling it complete you’ll be in the $2600 to $3000 range I suspect.

If it were me I would sell bags and racks separately to maximize my return.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca

Garth

Oct 7, 2019, 2:01:30 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

  John, although the bike doesn't fit you, it doesn't sound like you really want to sell it, or at least go through "the process" of sale and all that may include.  Who says you have to sell it and for what cost , and what makes them some sort of authority over your own sense ?   Hell, you can do anything you want with it, sell it or give it away.  I've had many things that I once enjoyed, or thought I did, that I have even given away to people who had use for them.  Seeing or hearing the joy of someone using those "things" is priceless.  I'm not telling you to do anything or not, you already know exactly what that is.

  Really it's not going to make any difference regardless of what you do with the bike.

Patrick Moore

Oct 7, 2019, 2:22:18 PM10/7/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
The OP isn't riding it because it's too small, and he wants to sell it but isn't sure how much to ask; obviously, he wants to get a good price for it. Answering his question will sure as hell will make a different to his wallet! And, just possibly, increase his options for a replacement, no small thing.

As to an answer to the OP's question, I can't say since I've not really paid attention to the Bombadil as I have to, say, the Ram and the Sam. But I will emphasize the truth of what others have pointed out, that purchase options can increase your liklihood of sale; and also, that demand fluctuates: you may have no takers for a quarter, and then find that next quarter you get half a dozen inquiries, and sometimes patience can maximize your return.

Nick Ybarra

Oct 7, 2019, 2:45:48 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd answer, but I kind of want to buy it, so I feel like that presents a conflict of interest.

-Nick in ATX

John McBurney

Oct 7, 2019, 2:59:53 PM10/7/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

John

Joe Bernard

Oct 7, 2019, 3:53:33 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dearest Garth, the OP came here in search of a possible price to ask for a bike he wants to sell. He's not giving it away. Thank you.

Garth

Oct 7, 2019, 4:57:38 PM10/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

     You're welcome for missing the point.

John McBurney

Oct 7, 2019, 5:05:14 PM10/7/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Garth

It’s not a bad idea. I do get more joy from giving things away than the cash brings. In the past few months I’ve given my Scott Sub 10 belt drive bike to a young couple and that makes me very happy.

However in this instance I need to raise some money to fund another bike project without pissing my wife of 40 years off too much. I did offer it at roughly half of what it has been valued here to a local friend but he was unable to take advantage of the opportunity In this instance the joy will come not from maximizing profit but rather in the knowledge that someone who really loves these bikes will be able to enjoy it.

It truly is special and I know someone will be very happy with it.

John

George Rosselle

Joe Bernard

Oct 8, 2019, 6:19:26 PM10/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
"You're welcome for missing the point."

I have been informed by a nicer person than myself that you are correct. I retract what I said. Whatever it was I said.

Abcyclehank

Oct 8, 2019, 6:25:04 PM10/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wish there were more guys willing to man up and apologize after potentially being corrected on the list. Many tend to dig in and keep firing volleys. Usually each or both are correct from the perspective they are examining the topic from; but wrong from the perspective of the opposition.
Lots of room for interpretation usually within the lines and words.

Ryan Hankinson

Dan McNamara

Oct 8, 2019, 8:55:47 PM10/8/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I sold a 52 Bomba with the clear coat treatment (complete with racks) in 2015 for $1950. It was a good build (Rich built wheels etc) but no dyno and no bags.

Dan

Abcyclehank

Oct 8, 2019, 10:36:47 PM10/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would value it between $2500-$3000 also. Only problem being a lot of individuals who want to spend that kind of money want something new (even if not better). The biggest hit would be the beautiful build (full builds) just don’t hold values well. I would say the frame etc is worth $1500+.
Also not needing to sell can allow you to name a fair price and wait for the right future owner to surface. If you had an upset wife or something other motivating reason to dump and cash out. $1800-$2000 would send this list into a tizzy and people would be scrambling to dump one of their bikes to upgrade to your beautifully painted and decked out Bombadil.
Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan
P. S. Took my wife single tracking today and road my 64cm Bombadil at one point she asked, “why are you even riding that, it is not even a mountain bike”.

Joe Bernard

Oct 8, 2019, 11:18:04 PM10/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ryan, if this bike gets under $2000 I'm going to have a BIG quandary on my hands!