When to Replace a Helmet?

Matthew Williams

Jun 15, 2023, 2:25:32 PM6/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Back in October, I was turning onto a path via a curb cut, but I was going too fast and my front wheel slid out from under me. I scraped my hand and chin, and my knee was bruised and swollen. As I landed on my shoulder, my head flopped to the side and gently *tapped* the concrete.

If I hadn’t been wearing a helmet, my head would not have touched the ground. The force with which my head and helmet touched the ground felt equivalent to bumping your head on a desk as you bend down to pick up a pencil: you’re surprised, but not hurt. I didn’t lose consciousness or have neck pain, and my helmet has no visible scratches or scuffs.

I’ve heard and read helmets should be replaced after a crash--but what’s the degree of severity? Are there any rules-of-thumb e.g. if the helmet was scuffed from the impact, get a new helmet? The force with which my head touched the ground didn’t feel hard or severe, but is that because the helmet absorbed the impact? Do I need a new helmet?

Brian Turner

Jun 15, 2023, 2:32:19 PM6/15/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’ve often wondered about this, especially every time I drop my helmet… which happens A LOT. So many little dents and scuff because of simply dropping it from 3-4 ft. Somehow, I doubt it’s compromised its safety.

- Brian

> On Jun 15, 2023, at 2:25 PM, Matthew Williams <matthewwil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Back in October, I was turning onto a path via a curb cut, but I was going too fast and my front wheel slid out from under me. I scraped my hand and chin, and my knee was bruised and swollen. As I landed on my shoulder, my head flopped to the side and gently *tapped* the concrete.
>
> If I hadn’t been wearing a helmet, my head would not have touched the ground. The force with which my head and helmet touched the ground felt equivalent to bumping your head on a desk as you bend down to pick up a pencil: you’re surprised, but not hurt. I didn’t lose consciousness or have neck pain, and my helmet has no visible scratches or scuffs.
>
> I’ve heard and read helmets should be replaced after a crash--but what’s the degree of severity? Are there any rules-of-thumb e.g. if the helmet was scuffed from the impact, get a new helmet? The force with which my head touched the ground didn’t feel hard or severe, but is that because the helmet absorbed the impact? Do I need a new helmet?

Joe Bernard

Jun 15, 2023, 2:46:20 PM6/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
These seem like reasonable guidelines. My helmet is at least three years old, I'm not super motivated to replace it yet but I would if it took a knock on the ground today.

Joe Bernard

Brian Forsee

Jun 15, 2023, 3:47:55 PM6/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is always a tough call. My opinion is if you are on the fence and the cost of replacing is not a large barrier for you replacing is the way to go. The foam on a helmet will yield when it has seen an impact past its design. Often times the foam will yield on the inside face (head side) of the foam in the form a small crack. Pressing from the outside perpendicular to the helmet can help to see the cracks easier. Check your helmet carefully for any cracks. Any crack in the foam necessitates replacement in my opinion. Also good to check the outside face for any deformities. If there are any dips or deformed spots from the impact, I would replace.

Brian