long shot: looking to test ride a 60cm Cheviot in the DC area

Paul Richardson

Nov 11, 2019, 1:23:10 PM11/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i'm looking to buy a Cheviot for my wife, who with an 83cm PBH is right on the line between the 55cm and the 60cm Cheviot.

I'd like to get a 60cm for several reasons (such as...me being able to ride it, too) but am concerned that it could be too big and she'll be riding with the saddle jammed all the way down.

if anyone in the DC area has a 60cm Cheviot, I'd love to meet up and take it for a spin.  I'll buy you a cider afterward.

thanks
paul
takoma park, md.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Nov 11, 2019, 1:31:20 PM11/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
So, if you can’t get your hands on a 60 to try, my story may help.

If I remember right (I’m about 95% sure), MY PBH is 83. I rode Grant’s 60 cm Cheviot last April and when I jumped off it I got more acquainted with that tube than I wanted to. I did not expect THAT on a mixte frame. I remember thinking 55 was the only way to go for me.

WETH

Nov 11, 2019, 1:43:26 PM11/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Paul,
My PBH is 86.5 and my seat height as pictured is 75.5
https://flic.kr/p/YN2Hgd
I’ve since sold the 60cm Cheviot to a list member far from here. I hope you’ll find a local one to test ride. It’s a great bike!
Best wishes,
Erl
Kensington, MD

Dorothy C

Nov 11, 2019, 2:57:20 PM11/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am an 81 pbh, and I have a 55 Cheviot. Earlier this year my wife and took a ride with Grant with a Hubbuh Hubbuh and his 60cm Cheviot. I got scared on the back of the tandem, and tried to ride to 60cm Cheviot. I couldn’t get my behind on the saddle - between the height of the seatpost lug and the curve of the seatpost itself, the saddle wouldn’t go down to a ridable height for me.
Worth noting too, is the Cheviot is a long bike - a couple inches more and it would probably not fit on our Thule rack. I am fine on the 55 Cheviot - I have Choconorm bars on it.

Howard Hatten

Nov 11, 2019, 5:25:48 PM11/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul , I have an 89 pbh and ride a 60 Cheviot. My seat post has 3.5cm showing. My cranks are 175.
I think the 60 will be to big for your wife.
Nice try on the dual ownership.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CUi633Pc6KzDDRJ88

Howard
Livonia Mi

Paul Richardson

Nov 12, 2019, 9:29:07 AM11/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thank you all for dashing my dreams of a non-tandem bicycle built for two riders of drastically different heights.  i retract my desire for a test ride.  sounds like we definitely need a 55cm!

happy riding

paul
takoma park, md.

Tom Wyland

Nov 13, 2019, 8:18:20 AM11/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
This thread is super helpful to me as I have been looking for a used Cheviot. In the DC area no less.  With a 86-ish PBH and 75cm saddle height I always wondered how much seatpost would be showing.  So thanks for the help, Weth!

Tom
Reston, VA

Pam Bikes

Dec 27, 2019, 12:13:41 AM12/27/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you want to ride a Cheviot, I'm in Charlotte and have a 55 and a 60.  Try both and see which is better.  Email me as I'm not on here much.

A. Nostuh

Dec 27, 2019, 12:47:11 AM12/27/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul, riding my big cheviot feels so good sometimes I have to pinch myself to be sure I’m not dreaming. Or as one list member once said: it’s like floating on a cloud, eating ice cream while wearing a Snuggie

Big Al

Mike Ahern

Dec 27, 2019, 11:44:28 AM12/27/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 60 Cheviot.  It's the best bike i ever owned.  I'm 6' and my pbh is 87.  I looked for that for a long time.  If you didnt like it, I feel its resale value would be high.

Paul Richardson

Dec 28, 2019, 11:22:09 AM12/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i've got a wolbis on the way to meet my long wheelbase needs.  it's my wife who's in need of a new bicycle.  grant convinced me to wait 'til april(ish) when the new cheviot comes out.  i'm trusting whatever changes they make, and colors they offer, will be compelling.

paul
takoma park, md.0

Tom Wyland

Jan 8, 2020, 4:45:37 PM1/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What's this about the "new" Cheviot?  Anyone have details?

Tom

Paul Richardson

Jan 9, 2020, 10:27:08 AM1/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
per will, via joe, I believe all we know at this point is that it will be "more rad"

paul