Random sudden RX gain jump

Fl Pohl

Oct 3, 2021, 8:34:57 AM10/3/21
to Radioberry
Hi there!

Has anyone experienced this problem?
It happens whenever I change the VFO very quickly, the spectrum RF screen
jumps from -100 db, this is where my noise floor is, to almost maximum,
the waterfall gets pink. It happens if I change the band too.
Stopping the radioberry service and loading it back again does not solve the problem
I have to reboot the Raspberry PI.
I have used Linhpsdr, SdrConsole and PowerSDR OpenHDSDR, the problem happens with all of them.
Raspberry PI is 4 and using the development release because I'm building a preamp.
I have included the screenshots

Thank you in advance

Flavio VE2ZFP

before.jpeg
after.jpeg

pa3gsb

Oct 3, 2021, 11:32:44 AM10/3/21
to Radioberry
Flavio,

Please use the register option; so i can view your settings:

Which version of RPI linux are you running??

Do you switch of the SPI ?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Fl Pohl

Oct 3, 2021, 11:38:45 AM10/3/21
to Radioberry
I'll do that.

Thank you

Fl Pohl

Oct 3, 2021, 11:44:38 AM10/3/21
to Radioberry
Sorry clicked on post message by accident.

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

SPI? no, I did not, to be honest with you I don't know what that is.

Thank you

Fl Pohl

Oct 3, 2021, 11:59:56 AM10/3/21
to Radioberry
My Radioberry has been registered just now and its online.

Thank you Johan

VE2ZFP

Radioberry

Oct 3, 2021, 1:19:53 PM10/3/21
to Radioberry

For SPI:

You have not installed the latest version:

Please give it a try?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Fl Pohl

Oct 3, 2021, 2:59:22 PM10/3/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

I'll give it a try

Thank you so much for you help

73 Flavio

Ronald Nicholson

Oct 3, 2021, 4:54:12 PM10/3/21
to Radioberry
Yes.  I have seen it, but I was running an older dev release:
(echo " Gateware version 72.5" , echo " Driver version 0.8" , echo " Firmware version 2021.01.17")
Setting the VFO twice seemed to corrupt the sample rate being delivered by the Protocol 1 UDP.
Haven't checked yet to see if it's been fixed in newer releases.

73,
Ron
n6ywu

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

Oct 4, 2021, 4:04:30 AM10/4/21
to radio...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have SPI disabled and I still get these random gain jumps
especially at higher sample rates.

Another (probably unrelated) way to corrupt Rx Gain setting is the first
time press of PTT. At that point, the Rx Gain values are corrupted and
then touching the slider restores it.

This has been the case with the last stable release too.

73
Ram VU3RDD

--
Ramakrishnan

Fl Pohl

Oct 5, 2021, 1:50:29 AM10/5/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

I'm installing the new firmware right now, it's asking the following:
Install CL016 or CL025 radioberry version: 1 = CL016 or 2 = CL025?
I think its 2 but let me know.
By the way the SPI was already disabled.
Testing the new firmware now, I haven't noticed the problem yet but what I
have noticed is the CPU load is much lower than before and I forgot to mention that
before that was some RX audio cutoffs or stuttering at times, still here but it seems better than before.
Does it use one core at the time? I'm getting only 40 % now and it was   75 %
with the previous firmware.

Thanks

Radioberry

Oct 5, 2021, 1:54:58 AM10/5/21
to Radioberry
Hi  Flavio

Tnx for reporting.

Yes the latest dev will perform beter; using 8 bits for RX and TX is done via SPI; giving some nice perf improvement; nice you noticed it.

The RB is capable of using 2 types of FPGA ; CL016 , a little smaller / cheaper (when starting RB; i do not know if this is still valid?) and the CL025 .

Depending on your FPGA you have to select the right one.... if you had selected the wrong  version your RB would not work... so good choice.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Fl Pohl

Oct 6, 2021, 3:28:54 PM10/6/21
to Radioberry
Hi Ron,

Thank you

Flavio

Fl Pohl

Oct 8, 2021, 3:33:01 AM10/8/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

I've tested yesterday with the new firmware, the cutouts are gone and the RX level jumps too.
Everything seemed to be fine now.

One last thing,  Did you buy the QRP Labs 10 watt amplifier right,? does it work out of the box, I mean, does the Radioberry have enough
output power to drive the amplifier?

Thank you very much.

Flavio

pa3gsb

Oct 8, 2021, 3:36:05 AM10/8/21
to Radioberry
Flavio,

Good to hear that it is working for you.

The 10W of QRP labs is a nice kit to build... see the group messages... there are others who did the build.

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

s.hi...@gmx.net

Nov 15, 2021, 5:37:31 AM11/15/21
to Radioberry
Hi all,

the seems to be the same affect I had, and posted in a previous topic:

=> Same steps to run into the problem, same effect, and same recovery action needed...

I will update my Radioberry also to latest version, and check if it is solved for my setup too.

Thank you!

73's Best Regards Sven

Brad Jeffries

May 29, 2023, 9:39:45 AM5/29/23
to Radioberry
Had similar issues.  Turned out it was power integrity.  The supply rail on the Radioberry was dropping well below 5V DC never put a scope on to observe the transient behavior.

G0UIL  pointed me to the power integrity at the Radioberry.  I grabbed the same regulator he was using XY-3606.  I use the USB port to power the PI and the screw terminals to jump a direct connection at the point where 5V enters the Radioberry.   This made the setup rock solid.   One thing I noticed was IC201 the upstream LDO for the FPGA gets quite warm.  I put a stick on heatsink on this LDO.

73
Brad