Racket v7.4

'John Clements' via users-redirect

Aug 9, 2019, 1:16:38 AM8/9/19
to Racket Users
Racket version 7.4 is now available from

https://racket-lang.org/

With this 7.4 release, we are making Racket CS available, a beta version
of the Racket on Chez Scheme implementation. Racket CS is "beta"
quality for the v7.4 release. It works well enough to be worth trying,
but there are likely too many lingering problems for a project to switch
to Racket CS for production use at this time. We encourage you to kick
the tires of the new CS releases, and to help push this project forward
by reporting any problems that you find.

- Racket CS is available as a download option. To download Racket CS,
select "CS" instead of "regular" from the "Variant" popup menu.

- Single-precision floating-point literals, a.k.a. single-flonums, are
no longer supported by default.

This is a backward-incompatible change, but the use of single-flonums
appears to be rare. Since Racket CS does not support single-flonums,
disabling single-flonums by default smooths the transition from regular
Racket and Racket CS.

The `read-single-flonum` parameter can be set to #t to enable reading
single-flonum literals, but a better strategy in most cases is to use
`real->single-flonum` when `single-flonum-available?` reports #t or
when `single-flonum?` reports #t for a value (which implies that
single-flonums must be supported). Where single-flonums are supported,
Racket's compiler will fold a call of `real->single-flonum` on a
literal number to a constant single-flonum value.

- New compilation flags including --disable-generations and --enable-ubsan
provide better support for alternative
architectures.

- The 2htdp/universe teachpack supports an event log window for big-bang.
With this option, students can inspect the events that big-bang handled,
plus their payload. The event log includes messages from external
sources.

The following people contributed to this release: Alex Knauth, Alexander
B. McLin, Alexis King, Andreas Düring, Asumu Takikawa, Atharva Raykar,
Ben Greenman, Benjamin Yeung, Dmitry Moskowski, Fred Fu, Gustavo
Massaccesi, Ilnar Salimzianov, Jason Hemann, Jay McCarthy, Jesse A. Tov,
Jesse Alama, John Clements, Leif Andersen, Lukas Lazarek, Matthew Flatt,
Matthias Felleisen, Mike Sperber, Morgan Lemmer-Webber, Noah W M, Paulo
Matos, Philip McGrath, Robby Findler, Rodrigo, Roman Klochkov, Ryan
Culpepper, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Simon 'Sze' L. Schlee, Sorawee
Porncharoenwase, Spencer Florence, Stephan Renatus, Stephen Chang,
Stephen De Gabrielle, Thomas Dickerson, Vincent St-Amour, and yjqww6

Feedback Welcome

Bruce O'Neel

Aug 9, 2019, 10:29:18 AM8/9/19
to John Clements, Racket Users
Hi,

Fantastic!

It looks as if the CS builds are only x86-64, right?  Are there plans to add others, say arm32 and arm64?

Thanks very much.

cheers

bruce

Joel Dueck

Aug 9, 2019, 12:04:17 PM8/9/19
to Racket Users
On Win10 / Firefox the "variant" selector does not appear for me, I'm not sure why yet. I don't have any errors in the console.

I can see it just fine on Win10 / Chrome, macOS / Safari, and macOS / Firefox.

Asumu Takikawa

Aug 10, 2019, 4:34:26 PM8/10/19
to Racket Users
On 2019-08-09 01:16:35 -0400, 'John Clements' via users-redirect wrote:
> Racket version 7.4 is now available from

For folks using Ubuntu, the PPA is now updated to 7.4 as well.

https://launchpad.net/~plt/+archive/ubuntu/racket

It supports disco (19.04), bionic (18.04), xenial (16.04), and trusty
(14.04).

Racket CS packages are not available yet, but will be uploaded in the
future here:

https://launchpad.net/~plt/+archive/ubuntu/racket-cs

Please report any issues on github:

https://github.com/takikawa/racket-ppa

Cheers,
Asumu

John Clements

Aug 14, 2019, 8:24:25 AM8/14/19
to Joel Dueck, Racket Users
What distribution and platform do you have selected? The “variant” menu will only appear for certain choices of distribution and platform.

John

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 12:04, 'Joel Dueck' via Racket Users <racket...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> On Win10 / Firefox the "variant" selector does not appear for me, I'm not sure why yet. I don't have any errors in the console.
>
> I can see it just fine on Win10 / Chrome, macOS / Safari, and macOS / Firefox.

Joel Dueck

Aug 14, 2019, 12:41:00 PM8/14/19
to Racket Users
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 7:24:25 AM UTC-5, johnbclements wrote:
What distribution and platform do you have selected? The “variant” menu will only appear for certain choices of distribution and platform.

That was it…In Win/FF the platform selector defaults to the Windows x86_32 (despite my OS being x86_64). In Win/Chrome it correctly defaults to x86_64. Missed that somehow.

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Aug 14, 2019, 12:52:12 PM8/14/19
to Joel Dueck, Racket Users
I believe Firefox decided to remove 64/32 bit information in the user
agent. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/firefox$20user$20agent$2064/mozilla.dev.platform/vEMIqgnMxRw/ODlignEQAQAJ

I think this suggests that we should serve the Variant information in
more cases.

Sam

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Aug 14, 2019, 12:54:03 PM8/14/19
to Joel Dueck, Racket Users
Just to confirm this, what does
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent report
for both of your browsers?

Sam

Joel Dueck

Aug 14, 2019, 1:08:39 PM8/14/19
to Racket Users
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 11:54:03 AM UTC-5, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
Just to confirm this, what does
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent report
for both of your browsers?

On Win10 / FF that website says: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
On Win10 / Chrome it says: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.100 Safari/537.36

I notice the website adds "This page shows you what your web browser is sending in the "User-Agent" header for your HTTP requests."
I don't think the Racket download page is looking at actual HTTP headers.

But I think you are onto something because...

If I fetch navigator.platform manually on Win 10 / Firefox's Javascript console:

    > navigator.platform
    "Win32"
    > navigator.appVersion
    "5.0 (Windows)"

On Chrome console I get:

    > navigator.platform
    "Win32"
    > navigator.appVersion
    "5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.100 Safari/537.36"

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Aug 14, 2019, 1:18:30 PM8/14/19
to Joel Dueck, Racket Users
Thanks, that's helpful. Looking at the source, it seems that
`navigator.appVersion` is what's being looked at. What does
`navigator.userAgent` return for your two browsers?

Sam

Joel Dueck

Aug 14, 2019, 1:23:16 PM8/14/19
to Racket Users
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:18:30 PM UTC-5, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
Thanks, that's helpful. Looking at the source, it seems that
`navigator.appVersion` is what's being looked at. What does
`navigator.userAgent` return for your two browsers?

Win10 / Firefox:

  > navigator.userAgent
  "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0"

Win10 / Chrome:

  > navigator.userAgent

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Aug 14, 2019, 1:40:08 PM8/14/19