HTML rendering

James Platt

Jun 21, 2019, 3:10:59 PM6/21/19
to Racket Users
I've been looking at HTML rendering in Racket and the Browser package looks interesting, especially since it can execute Racket code from a special HTML tag.

https://docs.racket-lang.org/browser/index.html

The problem is that the rendering it does is too simple. It's about on the level of Lynx and doesn't even render tables. Is there another option that I am missing, like something implementing Gecko or KHTML/Webkit? If not is there much interest in creating such a thing? The idea would be to be able to have a Racket GUI with a component implemented in HTML + CSS.

James

Jay McCarthy

Jun 21, 2019, 3:18:54 PM6/21/19
to James Platt, Racket Users
As far as I can tell, it has been 16 years since that code has been touched for anything other than reformatting.

https://github.com/racket/drracket/commit/55dc93d01f6a8113dae46302812debddc1e7d2d8

You should not consider it as a real HTML renderer in Racket.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy
Associate Professor @ CS @ UMass Lowell

Jens Axel Søgaard

Jun 21, 2019, 3:22:00 PM6/21/19
to James Platt, Racket Users
Den fre. 21. jun. 2019 kl. 21.10 skrev James Platt <j...@biomantica.com>:
I've been looking at HTML rendering in Racket and the Browser package looks interesting, especially since it can execute Racket code from a special HTML tag.

https://docs.racket-lang.org/browser/index.html

The problem is that the rendering it does is too simple.  It's about on the level of Lynx and doesn't even render tables.

The browser package is mostly historical. It was used to browse documentation inside DrRacket, but at some point
it made more sense to use an external web-browser.

Is there another option that I am missing, like something implementing Gecko or KHTML/Webkit?
If not is there much interest in creating such a thing? The idea would be to be able to have a Racket GUI with a component implemented in HTML + CSS.

Using Webkit from within DrRacket would indeed be interesting.
Dobson made bindings for webkit at some point - but time flies by.

     https://github.com/endobson/racket-webkit

I know of no newer packages.

/Jens Axel

David Storrs

Jun 21, 2019, 5:34:47 PM6/21/19
to Jens Axel Søgaard, James Platt, Racket Users
Does anyone on the list have the skills to create such a thing, were there sufficient motivation? (coughmoneycough)