Racket on Corporate Desktop Windows

Bruce O'Neel

Feb 15, 2021, 2:45:26 AM2/15/21
to Racket Users
Hi,

So for quite some while I have been running a minimal racket on my locked down windows desktop.   Go to More Installers and Checksums and I grab the Windows 64bit x86-64 tar ball, untar it, and everyone is happy.

But no GUI of course.

Well I had been building on MacOS for years following the instructions to build a Minimal Racket and then run

raco pkg install -i main-distribution

and it finally clicked that the instructions were almost identical for Windows.

raco pkg update --auto racket-lib
raco pkg install -i main-distribution

just like the instructions said.  In my mind I thought "I don't have a build toolchain on Windows, so that won't work."  And I was wrong.  It works just fine on my locked down desktop and now I have a GUI Dr Racket as well.

cheers

bruce

Wayne Harris

Mar 30, 2021, 6:51:37 AM3/30/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
"Bruce O'Neel" <bruce...@pckswarms.ch>
writes:

[...]

> But no GUI of course.
>
> Well I had been building on MacOS for years following the instructions
> to build a Minimal Racket and then run
>
> raco pkg install -i main-distribution
>
> and it finally clicked that the instructions were almost identical for
> Windows.
>
> raco pkg update --auto racket-lib raco pkg install -i
> main-distribution
>
> just like the instructions said.  In my mind I thought "I don't have a
> build toolchain on Windows, so that won't work."  And I was wrong.  It
> works just fine on my locked down desktop and now I have a GUI Dr
> Racket as well.

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

David Storrs

Mar 30, 2021, 11:18:12 AM3/30/21
to Wayne Harris, Racket Users
Slightly offtopic, but I wanted to point out that when GMail sees a conversation happening it collapses all the emails into one line and displays the first names of the first two posters side-by-side with the subject.  I am tickled to have a thread from Bruce O'Neel and Wayne Harris in my email.