Do I need to explicitly enable readline support for the REPL?

Tim Lee

Mar 7, 2021, 12:42:44 PM3/7/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
When I was using Racket v6, I had to add (require readline/rep) to my
~/.racketrc to enable readline support in the REPL. I have recently
upgraded to Racket v7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04. It seems that readline support
is automatically enabled even if I remove (require readline/rep) from
my ~/.racketrc.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Did something in Racket change?

Tim Lee

Mar 13, 2021, 2:39:41 AM3/13/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible that the documentation is outdated?

According to https://docs.racket-lang.org/readline/index.html#%28part._.Normal_.Use_of_.Readline%29:

> You can also put (require readline) in your "~/.racketrc", so that Racket
> automatically loads Readline support in interactive mode.

Is this unnecessary now?

Ryan Culpepper

Mar 13, 2021, 12:30:30 PM3/13/21
to Racket Users
Yes, since version 6.7 Racket automatically loads xrepl, which automatically loads readline support (or libedit support, if readline-gpl is not installed).

Ryan