Racket compiler and runtime status report

Matthew Flatt

Jan 24, 2021, 12:25:25 PM1/24/21
to Racket Users
In anticipation of the v8.0 release with Racket CS as the default,
here's this year's update on Racket's compiler and runtime system:

https://blog.racket-lang.org/2021/01/racket-status.html

Matthew

Linus Björnstam

Jan 25, 2021, 9:48:24 AM1/25/21
to Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
Great blog post! I decided to finally dip my toes into racket CS, so I tried some old code I had lying around. All programs are at least a little bit faster, which is always nice to see. None are very big apps though, most are just automation of boring tasks an run for less than one minute.

I do however have a small port of SRFI-171 (my own srfi; more or less a scheme version of clojure's transducers, implemented in much the same way) where the difference was more pronounced.

I imagine procedure calls have gotten cheaper, because the overhead almost split in half!

So from my point of view everything just got faster, which is like a second Christmas!

Best regards
Linus Björnstam