Racket v8.0 (!)

John Clements

Feb 13, 2021, 9:17:31 PM2/13/21
to Racket Users
*** Racket 8.0 is here! ***

Racket version 8.0 is now available from

https://racket-lang.org/

Racket 8.0 marks the first release where Racket CS is the default
implementation. Creating, polishing, and adopting Racket CS has been a
4-year effort involving the entire Racket community. At this point,
Racket CS is faster, easier to maintain and develop, and compatible
with existing Racket programs. Racket CS will continue to improve, but
at this point it is ready to be the primary variant of Racket for all
Racketeers. More details about the current state of Racket CS are
available in the recent blog post (https://blog.racket-lang.org/).

Other notable changes:

* Racket CS has better parallel garbage collection, a 10%-30% reduction
in the size of generated code, and various targeted optimizations.

* A rewrite of the test-engine package allows the `#lang` versions of
teaching languages to produce linked test-failure messages.

* The release comes with a new mark-up DSL for composing text to
appear in the REPL (simple-tree-text-markup).

* Redex has an added `define-overriding-judgment` form and improved
error source location reporting.

* Windows scrolling speed reflects the system preference.

* The db package uses the utf8mb4 charset for MySQL connections.

The following people contributed to this release:

Alex Harsányi, Alex Knauth, Alexander Shopov, Alexis King, Bert De
Ketelaere, Bogdan Popa, Cameron Moy, David Van Horn, Davis Silverman,
Dominik Pantůček, Florian Weimer, Fred Fu, Gustavo Massaccesi, Jack
Firth, James Wilcox, Joel Dueck, John Clements, Jonathan Chan, Lîm
Tsú-thuàn, Mark, Matthew Flatt, Matthias Felleisen, Michael Ballantyne,
Mike Sperber, Paulo Matos, Pavel Panchekha, Peter Zhong, Phil Nguyen,
Philip McGrath, Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt,
Sergiu Ivanov, Shu-Hung You, Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Stefan Schwarzer,
Stephen Chang, Stephen De Gabrielle, Walter H. Yang, WarGrey Gyoudmon
Ju, kurinoku, xxyzz, and yjqww6

*** Windows users should note that as of this release date (2021-02-13),
Windows SmartScreen is observed to flag the Racket download bundles
as potentially malicious, based on the low number of times this
bundle has been downloaded and installed. Clicking a label with the
text “more info” appears to be necessary to install Racket
8.0. We’re hopeful that this issue will go away … soon? ***

Sage Gerard

Feb 16, 2021, 7:19:26 AM2/16/21
to Racket Users
So exciting! A massive thank you to everyone making Racket even better. :)

~slg

> Racket version 8.0 is now available from
>
> https://racket-lang.org/
>
> Racket 8.0 marks the first release where Racket CS is the default
> implementation. Creating, polishing, and adopting Racket CS has been a
> 4-year effort involving the entire Racket community. At this point,
> Racket CS is faster, easier to maintain and develop, and compatible
> with existing Racket programs. Racket CS will continue to improve, but
> at this point it is ready to be the primary variant of Racket for all
> Racketeers. More details about the current state of Racket CS are
> available in the recent blog post (https://blog.racket-lang.org/).
>
> Other notable changes:
>
> - Racket CS has better parallel garbage collection, a 10%-30% reduction
> in the size of generated code, and various targeted optimizations.
>
> - A rewrite of the test-engine package allows the `#lang` versions of
> teaching languages to produce linked test-failure messages.
>
> - The release comes with a new mark-up DSL for composing text to
> appear in the REPL (simple-tree-text-markup).
>
> - Redex has an added `define-overriding-judgment` form and improved
> error source location reporting.
>
> - Windows scrolling speed reflects the system preference.
> - The db package uses the utf8mb4 charset for MySQL connections.
>
> The following people contributed to this release:
>
> Alex Harsányi, Alex Knauth, Alexander Shopov, Alexis King, Bert De
> Ketelaere, Bogdan Popa, Cameron Moy, David Van Horn, Davis Silverman,
> Dominik Pantůček, Florian Weimer, Fred Fu, Gustavo Massaccesi, Jack
> Firth, James Wilcox, Joel Dueck, John Clements, Jonathan Chan, Lîm
> Tsú-thuàn, Mark, Matthew Flatt, Matthias Felleisen, Michael Ballantyne,
> Mike Sperber, Paulo Matos, Pavel Panchekha, Peter Zhong, Phil Nguyen,
> Philip McGrath, Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt,
> Sergiu Ivanov, Shu-Hung You, Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Stefan Schwarzer,
> Stephen Chang, Stephen De Gabrielle, Walter H. Yang, WarGrey Gyoudmon
> Ju, kurinoku, xxyzz, and yjqww6
>

> *** Windows users should note that as of this release date (2021-02-13),
> Windows SmartScreen is observed to flag the Racket download bundles
> as potentially malicious, based on the low number of times this
> bundle has been downloaded and installed. Clicking a label with the
> text “more info” appears to be necessary to install Racket
> 8.0. We’re hopeful that this issue will go away … soon? ***

Hendrik Boom

Feb 16, 2021, 11:10:19 AM2/16/21
to Racket Users
On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 09:17:26PM -0500, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> *** Racket 8.0 is here! ***
>
> Racket version 8.0 is now available from
>
> https://racket-lang.org/

Are there no 32-bit intel binaries available?
Or did I just look too soon?

-- hendrik

John Clements

Feb 16, 2021, 12:26:52 PM2/16/21
to Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
Help me out: which platform are you referring to?

John

Hendrik Boom

Feb 16, 2021, 6:27:50 PM2/16/21
to Racket Users
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:26:50PM -0500, John Clements wrote:
> Help me out: which platform are you referring to?

The Linux one that was on everybody's PC before PC's went 64-bit.
I still use that old computer now and then with a stable
Devuan release, especially when I'm on the move.
(though normally at home I have a 64-bit one).

-- hendrik

John Clements

Feb 16, 2021, 9:25:01 PM2/16/21
to Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
I think your 32-bit options at this point are these:

1) Use one of the nightly builds, e.g. https://plt.cs.northwestern.edu/snapshots/
2) Compile it yourself, using the source bundle.
3) (Of course, you could use an older version. Looks ilke 7.3 is the last one released in a 32-bit Linux build.)

Let me know if I’ve forgotten any other options!

John
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/20210216232741.fnc7dabmw65niisa%40topoi.pooq.com.

Hendrik Boom

Feb 17, 2021, 5:31:09 PM2/17/21
to Racket Users
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:24:59PM -0500, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> I think your 32-bit options at this point are these:
>
> 1) Use one of the nightly builds, e.g. https://plt.cs.northwestern.edu/snapshots/
> 2) Compile it yourself, using the source bundle.
> 3) (Of course, you could use an older version. Looks ilke 7.3 is the last one released in a 32-bit Linux build.)
>
> Let me know if I’ve forgotten any other options!

It looks as if there's no Racket on Chez for 32-bit Linux, though there does
seem to be one on Windows.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/63554058-a655-441b-b6f3-dbd7471b519d%40mtasv.net.

Asumu Takikawa

Feb 19, 2021, 12:44:34 AM2/19/21
to Racket Users
On 2021-02-13 21:17:26 -0500, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> Racket version 8.0 is now available from
>
> https://racket-lang.org/

The Ubuntu PPA is now updated for version 8.0 as well, and available on
current Ubuntu versions (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases):

https://launchpad.net/~plt/+archive/ubuntu/racket

Due to changes in how the new CS compiler works, some files have been
moved between the three .deb packages that are in the distribution.

(details: pre-compiled .zo and .dep files are now in the architecture
dependent "racket" package instead of the "racket-common" package)

There might be a higher chance than usual of breakage because of the
major version change. Please do report any packaging bugs on github:

https://github.com/takikawa/racket-ppa

Cheers,
Asumu

Matthew Flatt

Feb 19, 2021, 1:07:15 PM2/19/21
At Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:31:04 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> It looks as if there's no Racket on Chez for 32-bit Linux, though there does
> seem to be one on Windows.

I've added 32-bit i386 Linux CS to the set of snapshots at Utah:

https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/snapshots/

https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/snapshots/current/installers/racket-current-i386-linux-precise.sh

A 32-bit Linux build makes sense as part of the snapshot service, since
part of the job of the service is to make sure things keep working on
various platforms.

Asumu Takikawa

Feb 22, 2021, 1:56:52 PM2/22/21
to Racket Users
On 2021-02-18 21:44:30 -0800, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> Due to changes in how the new CS compiler works, some files have been
> moved between the three .deb packages that are in the distribution.

It looks like this change broke package upgrades. I should be able to
fix the packages later by adjusting the dependency flags.

In the meantime, if you get an error on upgrade you should be able to
work around it by just uninstalling the racket packages and
re-installing the latest ones.

Cheers,
Asumu

Dominik Pantůček

Feb 22, 2021, 2:08:37 PM2/22/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Actually `apt-get -f install` fixed that without having to manually
uninstall/install anything.

D.

Asumu Takikawa

Feb 22, 2021, 4:56:29 PM2/22/21
to Racket Users
On 2021-02-22 10:56:48 -0800, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> It looks like this change broke package upgrades. I should be able to
> fix the packages later by adjusting the dependency flags.

I believe this issue with broken upgrades should be fixed now with
version 8.0+ppa1-6 of the package. If anyone still has any upgrade
issues with this version please let me know (you can comment on the
github issue https://github.com/takikawa/racket-ppa/issues/10).

Cheers,
Asumu