Release Announcement for v6.2

Ryan Culpepper

Jun 5, 2015, 9:47:08 AM6/5/15
to d...@racket-lang.org
The release announcement sketch that I have so far is below. Please
mail me new items and/or edits.

** The items below are from the main repository only. Please
review your package repositories for items after the split.

- split repository (samth 29873382)

mflatt:
- git pkg support (babd4202, bbf154ba, fbdfa365)
- impersonator protocol changes (0b71b848)
- logging changes (65e323d2, 83b45957, 83b45957, 58eb8024)
- restore Cygwin support (cceda783)
- "raco pkg {install,update} --clone" (6379aadd)
- Unicode 7.0 (9c7d0b87)
- iOS? (af6c3961)

robby:
- avoid redundant instanceof/c contracts (e589f591)

ryanc:
- openssl: use TLS by default (933a71ce)

samth:
- avoid requiring contracts when not used (8ea8c54e)

asumu:
- type tooltips (c2abbc70)

jay:
- data/enumerate (981a68bb)

Matthew Flatt

Jun 5, 2015, 10:07:46 AM6/5/15
to Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
At Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:46:53 -0400, Ryan Culpepper wrote:
> mflatt:
> - git pkg support (babd4202, bbf154ba, fbdfa365)
> - impersonator protocol changes (0b71b848)
> - logging changes (65e323d2, 83b45957, 83b45957, 58eb8024)
> - restore Cygwin support (cceda783)
> - "raco pkg {install,update} --clone" (6379aadd)
> - Unicode 7.0 (9c7d0b87)
> - iOS? (af6c3961)

I think only the package manager changes for Git are worth mentioning:

* The package manager supports a direct references to Git repositories
via "git://[...]", "http://[...].git", and "https://[...].git" URLs.
(Previously, only references to GitHub were supported.)

* A `--clone` option for `raco pkg install` or `raco pkg update`
further facilitates Git-based package development. For example, if a
package X has a Git repository source, then installing and updating
the package pulls from the repository, but in a read-only mode by
default. Using `raco pkg update --clone X` switches the local
installation to a repository checkout that is suitable for modifying
the package implementation, pushing changes, issuing pull requests,
and so on. Using `raco pkg update --lookup X` switches the package
back to the default installation mode.

Robby Findler

Jun 5, 2015, 11:03:55 AM6/5/15
to Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
* Added data/enumerate: a library that supports efficient enumeration
of data structures

* DrRacket's online check syntax works with images and other non-text content

* DrRacket's blueboxes are available more often and contain methods
and constructor information

* DrRacket's "Open Require Path" menu item supports ".." in relative pathnames

* Redex's redex-check uses enumeration to try to find counter-examples
(in addition to using random generation, as before)

* Redex's generate-term accepts additional arguments to return the
"i"-th member of a pattern using data/enumerate (meaning it
efficiently supports very large values of "i").

* Redex's examples include Launchbury's 1993 big-step lazy semantics

* 2htdp/image: allow "polygons" to be built out of bezier curves
instead of just straight lines (see the docs for "pulled-point").

Robby

Matthias Felleisen

Jun 5, 2015, 12:07:52 PM6/5/15
to Ryan Culpepper, dev@racket-lang.org List

* The teaching languages come with a new teachpack, 2htdp/abstraction,
which allows instructors and students to use a number of abstractions
in ISL: for/* loops, match, define-type and type-cases.

* The 2htdp/universe again allows the creation of executables from drracket
(and they behave properly when run independently of drracket).
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-dev/CAL3TdOPooPfTj3m%3D3a8z%3DOZObubyMjnEeuo2zjZwJWJ3Zgdgng%40mail.gmail.com.

Robby Findler

Jun 5, 2015, 1:12:57 PM6/5/15
to Matthias Felleisen, Ryan Culpepper, dev@racket-lang.org List
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matt...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> * The teaching languages come with a new teachpack, 2htdp/abstraction,
> which allows instructors and students to use a number of abstractions
> in ISL: for/* loops, match, define-type and type-cases.
>
> * The 2htdp/universe again allows the creation of executables from drracket
> (and they behave properly when run independently of drracket).

Maybe for the second:

* DrRacket's executable creation mechanism works with 2htdp/universe programs

or something like that?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-dev/96680804-B6CB-49D2-8DD6-9EA9A98A3D3C%40ccs.neu.edu.

Matthias Felleisen

Jun 5, 2015, 1:15:49 PM6/5/15
to Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, dev@racket-lang.org List

Sounds good to me.

Asumu Takikawa

Jun 9, 2015, 11:40:03 PM6/9/15
On 2015-06-05 09:46:53 -0400, Ryan Culpepper wrote:
> asumu:
> - type tooltips (c2abbc70)

- Typed Racket now displays tooltips in DrRacket that show the
types of expressions. Tooltips are also displayed for type errors.

For TR in general, here are some potential additions we could mention:

* Support for prefab structs (no contracts)
* Support for FSemaphores
* Let-aliasing
* #:implements/inits in Class types
* Type aliases allowed in class bodies
* Occurrence typing for private fields in classes
* Improvements in libraries like typed/rackunit, typed/net/url, others
* for/set, for*/set added
* contracts for Async-Channelof

Cheers,
Asumu