Can't use settings in fedora 28 vm.

Michael MENG

Aug 13, 2018, 6:58:42 AM8/13/18
to qubes-users
Actually i need to add chinese input method in appvm, but there's nothing in settings, i can't found Region & Language/Input Sources. How can i open the gnome settings in qubes?

Ivan Mitev

Aug 13, 2018, 7:48:37 AM8/13/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 08/13/2018 01:58 PM, Michael MENG wrote:
> Actually i need to add chinese input method in appvm, but there's nothing in settings, i can't found Region & Language/Input Sources. How can i open the gnome settings in qubes?

The following doc might help:

https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/localization/keyboard-multiple-layouts.md

No idea if Chinese input packages are installed by default on your appVM
template though, you might want to check that if something doesn't work.

Michael MENG

Aug 13, 2018, 8:28:05 AM8/13/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:58:42 PM UTC+8, Michael MENG wrote:
> Actually i need to add chinese input method in appvm, but there's nothing in settings, i can't found Region & Language/Input Sources. How can i open the gnome settings in qubes?

Attached photo for reference, how to get back the settings?

20180813_202303.jpg

Michael MENG

Aug 14, 2018, 8:13:23 PM8/14/18
to qubes-users
Any luck? I idid reinstall fedora 28 template, and install "fedora workstation", but still the same.

Ryan Tate

Aug 14, 2018, 8:19:04 PM8/14/18
to Michael MENG, qubes-users
This happened to me, too, I Googled around and found setting an environment variable would make the Settings panel/app work:

[user@fedora28vm ~] env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

(I re-typed the above while looking at another machine rather than copy/paste hopefully no typos!)

This issue, plus the weird long list of apps on the Qubes menu submenu for fedora-28 templatevm scared me off using this template VM, which I created following the docs on the site (but I went from 26->28 directly, which docs say should work). So I still use fedora-26 for all but 1 appVM.

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 8:13 PM, Michael MENG <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any luck? I idid reinstall fedora 28 template, and install "fedora workstation", but still the same.

signature.asc