Installing Qubes 4.0 on a Dell XPS 9570 i9

Ole

Aug 17, 2018, 11:01:51 AM8/17/18
to qubes-users
Hi everyone,

I have a new XPS 9570 i9 laptop and I'm trying to install Qubes 4.0 on it.

I have the installer on a USB stick and when I boot from it, briefly some text shows up in the upper left corner, then screen goes blank and the system reboots some seconds later.

Debian live isn't working either, it hangs with a black screen and fan noise.

Ubuntu live is working though.

Is there anything I could try?

Is there anyway to give a prognosis whether this will work eventually?

Thanks in advance!
Ole

awokd

Aug 17, 2018, 5:10:09 PM8/17/18
to Ole, qubes-users
On Fri, August 17, 2018 3:01 pm, Ole wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I have a new XPS 9570 i9 laptop and I'm trying to install Qubes 4.0 on
> it.
>
> I have the installer on a USB stick and when I boot from it, briefly some
> text shows up in the upper left corner, then screen goes blank and the
> system reboots some seconds later.
>
> Debian live isn't working either, it hangs with a black screen and fan
> noise.
>
> Ubuntu live is working though.
>

> Is there anything I could try?

Easiest thing to try might be to install in Legacy mode vs. UEFI.
Otherwise, check
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#installation-freezes-before-getting-to-anaconda-qubes-40.

Wael M. Nasreddine

Aug 19, 2018, 12:12:25 PM8/19/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, Ole, qubes-users
try appending the kernel param nouveau.modeset=0

I purchased and returned this laptop because it does not fully work with Linux, I have a Precision 7530 now, much better. See my notes at https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/44284

m...@paulapplegate.com

Mar 12, 2019, 1:53:10 PM3/12/19
to qubes-users
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:12:25 PM UTC-4, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> try appending the kernel param nouveau.modeset=0
>
> I purchased and returned this laptop because it does not fully work with Linux, I have a Precision 7530 now, much better. See my notes at https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/44284

Hi Wael,
I am having trouble installing Qubes 4.0.1 on a Dell Precision 7530.
How did you get yours setup? Legacy mode? Any tips or tricks you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

qubesth...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2020, 6:24:39 PM8/28/20
to qubes-users
Looking at a Precision 7530 now for Qubes.  Were you able to get it up and going?  Any known issues with it if so?

Paul Applegate

Aug 28, 2020, 6:28:23 PM8/28/20
to qubes-users
I was not able to get it installed. I gave up. I was going to try with a ThinkPad Carbon X1, but life got in the way.