Another newbie question related to TemplateVMs

viktor....@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 7:53:04 AM5/29/20
to qubes-users
Hello community,

I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.

I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.

All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:

What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?

I do know, that this is not a Qubes OS specific question - but - it seems to be a Qubes OS/ Minimal TemplateVM related question.

I tried several options recommended to me, when I searched the Internet for "copy text from xterm [fedora]". - Unfortunately w/o success :-(

Additional information, just for the record:

I created a qube, which I called 'f31-min-test-vm' based on the template 'fedora-31-minimal'

I start the xterm - and - would like to retrieve the content of all all installed packages, i.e. 'rpm -qa | sort', to start adding necessary packages for my use-case(s) ...

Again for information only:

When I execute 'rpm -qa | wc - l' in an xterm, it reports only

* 431 for 'f31-min-test-vm' - but -
* 1142 for 'f31-test-vm' ...

Any suggestions to my initial question?

With kind regards,

VR

Frédéric Pierret

May 29, 2020, 8:01:46 AM5/29/20
to viktor....@gmail.com, qubes-users

On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello community,
>
> I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
>
> I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
>
> All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
>
> *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
> *

Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).

> I do know, that this is not a Qubes OS specific question - but - it seems to be a Qubes OS/ Minimal TemplateVM related question.
>
> I tried several options recommended to me, when I searched the Internet for "copy text from xterm [fedora]". - Unfortunately w/o success :-(
>
> Additional information, just for the record:
>
> I created a qube, which I called 'f31-min-test-vm' based on the template 'fedora-31-minimal'
>
> I start the xterm - and - would like to retrieve the content of all all installed packages, i.e. 'rpm -qa | sort', to start adding necessary packages for my use-case(s) ...
>
> Again for information only:
>
> When I execute 'rpm -qa | wc - l' in an xterm, it reports only
>
> * 431 for 'f31-min-test-vm' - but -
> * 1142 for 'f31-test-vm' ...
>
> *Any suggestions to my initial question?

What is 'f31-test-vm'? You only spoke about f31-min-test-vm.

> With kind regards,
>
> VR

signature.asc

viktor....@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 12:26:46 PM5/29/20
to qubes-users
Hello Frederic,

On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
>
> I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
>
> All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
>
> *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
> *

Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).

It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...

I searched for 'middle mouse clic' & I was told that on a regular two button mouse, this maps / translates to pressing both left & right mouse at the same time.

However in the xterm started from the qube 'f31-min-test-vm' this does not create any result :-(

Whenever I try to perform a Control+Shift+C operation afterwards, it reports ZERO bytes ...

What am I missing?

> I do know, that this is not a Qubes OS specific question - but - it seems to be a Qubes OS/ Minimal TemplateVM related question.
>
> I tried several options recommended to me, when I searched the Internet for "copy text from xterm [fedora]". - Unfortunately w/o success :-(
>
> Additional information, just for the record:
>
> I created a qube, which I called 'f31-min-test-vm' based on the template 'fedora-31-minimal'
>
> I start the xterm - and - would like to retrieve the content of all all installed packages, i.e. 'rpm -qa | sort', to start adding necessary packages for my use-case(s) ...
>
> Again for information only:
>
> When I execute 'rpm -qa | wc - l' in an xterm, it reports only
>
> * 431 for 'f31-min-test-vm' - but -
> * 1142 for 'f31-test-vm' ...
>
> *Any suggestions to my initial question?

What is 'f31-test-vm'? You only spoke about f31-min-test-vm.

You are right, I should have mentioned 'f31-test-vm' explicitly as well.

I created this qube fresh from the 'fedora-31' template, simply to get the number of packages which are installed, if I would base any cloned template on it.

I just mentioned it as an argument, why *I* want to start from the smaller - and not - from the larger template.

With kind regards,

VR

Frédéric Pierret

May 29, 2020, 1:00:55 PM5/29/20

On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Frederic,
>
> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
>
> On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
> >
> > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
> >
> > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
> >
> > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
> > *
>
> Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
>

> It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...

The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.

> I searched for 'middle mouse clic' & I was told that on a regular two button mouse, this maps / translates to pressing both left & right mouse at the same time.
>
> However in the xterm started from the qube 'f31-min-test-vm' this does not create any result :-(
>
> Whenever I try to perform a Control+Shift+C operation afterwards, it reports ZERO bytes ...
>
> What am I missing?
>

> > I do know, that this is not a Qubes OS specific question - but - it seems to be a Qubes OS/ Minimal TemplateVM related question.
> >
> > I tried several options recommended to me, when I searched the Internet for "copy text from xterm [fedora]". - Unfortunately w/o success :-(
> >
> > Additional information, just for the record:
> >
> > I created a qube, which I called 'f31-min-test-vm' based on the template 'fedora-31-minimal'
> >
> > I start the xterm - and - would like to retrieve the content of all all installed packages, i.e. 'rpm -qa | sort', to start adding necessary packages for my use-case(s) ...
> >
> > Again for information only:
> >
> > When I execute 'rpm -qa | wc - l' in an xterm, it reports only
> >
> > * 431 for 'f31-min-test-vm' - but -
> > * 1142 for 'f31-test-vm' ...
> >
> > *Any suggestions to my initial question?
>
> What is 'f31-test-vm'? You only spoke about f31-min-test-vm.
>

> You are right, I should have mentioned 'f31-test-vm' explicitly as well.
>
> I created this qube fresh from the 'fedora-31' template, simply to get the number of packages which are installed, if I would base any cloned template on it.
>
> I just mentioned it as an argument, why *I* want to start from the smaller - and not - from the larger template.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> VR

signature.asc

Jackie

May 29, 2020, 6:49:01 PM5/29/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Frédéric Pierret:

> On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello Frederic,
>>
>> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
>>
>> On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
>> >
>> > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
>> >
>> > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
>> >
>> > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
>> > *
>>
>> Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
>>

>> It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...
>
> The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.

For what it's worth i can't get this to work on xterm either. I use
gnome-terminal which lets you right click -> copy (or edit -> copy),
then qubes copy/paste shortcuts work like normal.

WillyPillow

May 30, 2020, 1:00:50 AM5/30/20
to Jackie, qubes...@googlegroups.com
To enable simulating middle clicks that way, I had to follow
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9973/configuring-mouse-for-rightleft-button-simulating-middle-click-for-copy-paste>.

Alternatively, you should be able to add `XTerm.vt100.selectToClipboard: 1`
to `~/.Xresources` and run `xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources` to enable the
Select to Clipboard feature by default.

> https://blog.nerde.pw/
>
> PGP fingerprint = 6CCF 3FC7 32AC 9D83 D154 217F 1C16 C70E E7C3 1C84
>
> Protonmail PGP = D02D CEFF ACE5 5A7B FF5D 871E 4004 1CB1 F52B 127E
publickey - wp@nerde.pw - 0xD02DCEFF.asc
signature.asc

viktor....@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 5:30:33 AM5/30/20
to qubes-users
Hello Frederic,

On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
>
>     On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>     >
>     > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
>     >
>     > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
>     >
>     > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
>     >
>     > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
>     > *
>
>     Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
>

> It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...

The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.

Which version of Qubes OS - and - of Fedora are you using?

Have you made any changes to the 'default' X environment coming with the Fedora template?

The reason why I ask, is that I re-tried your suggestion in both qubes, i.e. 'f31-min-test-vm' and in 'f31-test-vm'.

In 'f31-min-test-vm' a not so small menu is opening up ("Main Options") but it does not contain a 'Select to Clipboard' option!

And if I try the same on 'f31-test-vm', i.e. a fresh AppVM created from the default 'Fedora-31' template I get no menu at all ...

With kind regards,

VR

Frédéric Pierret

May 30, 2020, 5:36:08 AM5/30/20

On 2020-05-30 11:30, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Frederic,
>
> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 19:00:55 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
>
> On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
> >
> >     On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> >     >
> >     > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
> >     >
> >     > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
> >     >
> >     > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
> >     >
> >     > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
> >     > *
> >
> >     Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
> >

> > It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...
>
> The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.
>

> Which version of Qubes OS - and - of Fedora are you using?

QubesOS version does not matter (4.0) and it's Fedora 31 (does not matter either). It's mostly a problem related to xterm interpreting mouse buttons not Qubes/Templates at first. The menu you have is the same I have with only left click button. The menu with clipboard option is called 'VT Options'. I suggest you to search for how to enable 'VT Options' without middle click button.

> Have you made any changes to the 'default' X environment coming with the Fedora template?
>
> The reason why I ask, is that I re-tried your suggestion in both qubes, i.e. 'f31-min-test-vm' and in 'f31-test-vm'.
>
> In 'f31-min-test-vm' a not so small menu is opening up ("Main Options") but it does not contain a 'Select to Clipboard' option!
>
> And if I try the same on 'f31-test-vm', i.e. a fresh AppVM created from the default 'Fedora-31' template I get no menu at all ...
>
> With kind regards,
>
> VR

signature.asc

viktor....@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 5:45:48 AM5/30/20
to qubes-users
Hello Jackie,
Thanks for sending a confirmation, that I'm not the only one having a problem with the approach described & recommended by Frederic.

Concerning your mention of gnome-terminal. - I'm aware of it, I'm using it in my 'regular' Qubes - but - in this specific case I don't want to start with including the whole Gnome Desktop up front.

As I said in my first message: I'l like to start with as few packages as possible for some qubes ...

With kind regards,

VR

viktor....@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 7:13:10 AM5/30/20
to qubes-users
Hello WillyPillow,

Am Samstag, 30. Mai 2020 07:00:50 UTC+2 schrieb WillyPillow:
On Saturday, May 30, 2020 6:48 AM, 'Jackie' via qubes-users <qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> > On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
> > >      On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > >      >
> > >      > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
> > >      >
> > >      > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
> > >      >
> > >      > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
> > >      >
> > >      > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy / paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
> > >
> > >      Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
> > >
> > >  It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...
> >
> > The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.
>
> For what it's worth i can't get this to work on xterm either. I use
> gnome-terminal which lets you right click -> copy (or edit -> copy),
>
> then qubes copy/paste shortcuts work like normal.

To enable simulating middle clicks that way, I had to follow
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9973/configuring-mouse-for-rightleft-button-simulating-middle-click-for-copy-paste>.

Alternatively, you should be able to add `XTerm.vt100.selectToClipboard: 1`
to `~/.Xresources` and run `xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources` to enable the
Select to Clipboard feature by default.

Your second recommendation worked out fine for me.

When I ran the `xrdb` command it returned the warning "/home/user/.Xresources:0: warning: Unknown encoding: C.UTF-8"

However when I opened a new xterm and tried to copy with `ctrl-c`  & the rest of the Qubes-specific copy/paste commands b/w VMs it worked w/o any issue ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

With kind regards,

VR

Jackie

May 30, 2020, 5:52:55 PM5/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
viktor....@gmail.com:
> Hello Jackie,
>
> Am Samstag, 30. Mai 2020 00:49:01 UTC+2 schrieb Jackie:

Actually it only wasn't working for me because i missed something. My
mouse has a middle button, but i wasn't pressing control. Now that i'm
doing it the right way the menu comes up and i can enable select to
clipboard.

The tricky part is simulating middle click without a middle button but
it looks like you got it working. :)

Ulrich Windl

Jun 5, 2020, 7:20:56 PM6/5/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/29/20 7:00 PM, Frédéric Pierret wrote:

>> Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
>>

>> It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world - it is not really clear ...
>
> The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to Clipboard' option.
>
>> I searched for 'middle mouse clic' & I was told that on a regular two button mouse, this maps / translates to pressing both left & right mouse at the same time.

I don't want to make any advertising, but maybe it's time to get a
three-button mouse. Some time ago I saw some mouse in a shop, held it in
my hand, and immediately felt I must have that mouse! I don't know it
still is available, but the model is "Speedlink Descano Ergonomic
Vertical Mouse - USB" (SL-6168RRBK). Actually it's a 5-button mouse with
scroll wheel and a button to switch between different resolutions (in
case you have little space for movement the high resolution is very nice).

BTW: Just checking it, I found that it's much cheaper now (I paid more
than two times that price):
https://geizhals.de/speedlink-descano-ergonomic-vertical-mouse-schwarz-sl-6168-rrbk-a1162507.html
(German, for 18€)

Ulrich

[...]

Ulrich Windl

Jun 5, 2020, 7:31:17 PM6/5/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/30/20 12:48 AM, 'Jackie' via qubes-users wrote:
> Frédéric Pierret:
>>
>> On 2020-05-29 18:26, viktor....@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello Frederic,
>>>
>>> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 14:01:46 UTC+2 schrieb Frédéric Pierret:
>>>
>>>      On 2020-05-29 13:53, viktor....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      > I'm trying to continue my journey into the various Qubes OS
>>> options from the smaller - and not - from the larger template POV.
>>>      >
>>>      > I'm not asking for any additions to the provided packages
>>> available for example in 'fedora-31-minimal'.
>>>      >
>>>      > All I'm asking for is help to resolve the following question:
>>>      >
>>>      > *What do I need to do in order to activate / enable the copy /
>>> paste pattern via copy-c/v for xterm?
>>>      > *
>>>
>>>      Control+Middle mouse clic -> Select to Clipboard. Then, you can
>>> you QubesOS clipboard shortcut (Control+Shift+C).
>>>

>>> It may be obvious to you, but for me - coming from the Windows world
>>> - it is not really clear ...
>>
>> The middle click simply the wheel click but indeed, with only left and
>> right buttons it's both at the same time. Here when hold Control in
>> addition to left and right mouse button (keep holding) on xterm, it
>> makes appearing a little menu where the selection is made by unholding
>> mouse buttons. On this little menu you would see the 'Select to
>> Clipboard' option.
>
> For what it's worth i can't get this to work on xterm either. I use
> gnome-terminal which lets you right click -> copy (or edit -> copy),
> then qubes copy/paste shortcuts work like normal.

I had pointed out that problem some time ago. It seems there are two
different kinds of clipboard (later Emacsen do treat them differently),
but QubesOS seems to support only one of them. So while you can mark
text with the mouse locally and paste it, you cannot copy that
"selection" to another VM...