Anyone ran a cryptocurrency mining software on qubes?

Ro...@tuta.io

Dec 10, 2017, 7:52:08 AM12/10/17
to qubes-users
Curious if anyones gotten this to work.

Ted Brenner

Dec 10, 2017, 9:44:25 AM12/10/17
to Ro...@tuta.io, qubes-users
I've run a cpu miner for monero but only gotten ~100H/s. Was also curious if it would be possible to use VTd to use gpus.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:52 AM, <Ro...@tuta.io> wrote:
Curious if anyones gotten this to work.

Sent from my Desktop

Matty South

Dec 11, 2017, 10:05:53 AM12/11/17
to qubes-users
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:44:25 AM UTC-6, Ted Brenner wrote:
> I've run a cpu miner for monero but only gotten ~100H/s. Was also curious if it would be possible to use VTd to use gpus.
>

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:52 AM, <Ro...@tuta.io> wrote:
> Curious if anyones gotten this to work.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c34b7bc2-4ee6-40e1-867c-895105ef6a69%40googlegroups.com.

> Sent from my Desktop

Disclaimer: I've never done this.

Sounds like you'd have to set up "GPU Passthrough" for mining to be worthwhile on Qubes. Here is a little info https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/passthrough/qubes-users/cmPRMOkxkdA/gIV68O0-CQAJ

I could be mistaken, but the reason Qubes has trouble with GPU is because it breaks some of the trust provided by the VM separation. If you've got to weaken your secure OS to mine coins, then why not just use another machine to do it and keep your secure OS secure?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about GPU passthrough weakening overall security.