How to connect to internet by using a mobile broadband USB modem ?

Jan 28, 2020, 11:29:06 PM1/28/20
to qubes-users
How to connect to internet by using a mobile broadband USB modem ?

I have tried to set up a new network connection by clicking on Network Connection -> Add. and following the guide. At the end I can’t click on save as it says: “No polkit authorization to perform the action”. And I have tried it both when I was logged in as user and as root - with the same result.

The modem is: Huawei E3372 - the version with onboard drivers for both Linux, Windows and Mac.

Jan 29, 2020, 6:45:33 AM1/29/20
to qubes-users
In the meantime I have tried to add intel USB controller to the list of devices in sys-net VM under Devices.

And when I clicked on the settings of the Whonix VM, Qubes OS somehow cleared the settings of the USB controller so that I now can’t use my mouse or keyboard.

I have also tried to restart the pc. But there doesn’t seem to be any connection to the USB mouse and keyboard as they doesn’t light.

How can I get them to work again... ?

unman

Jan 29, 2020, 7:36:09 AM1/29/20
to qubes-users
On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 08:29:06PM -0800, M wrote:
> How to connect to internet by using a mobile broadband USB modem ?
>
> I have tried to set up a new network connection by clicking on Network Connection -> Add. and following the guide. At the end I can???t click on save as it says: ???No polkit authorization to perform the action???. And I have tried it both when I was logged in as user and as root - with the same result.
>
> The modem is: Huawei E3372 - the version with onboard drivers for both Linux, Windows and Mac.

You will probably get better results by opening just one thread per
issue, and being clear about what the issue is.
In this case, where did you perform the action (clicking on Network
Connection -> Add)?

Jan 29, 2020, 8:04:53 AM1/29/20
to qubes-users
Okay, I’ll try. But sometimes I first find it appropriate afterwards.

I clicked on the Qubes-icon on the far left in the menu line in top of the screen -> System Tools -> Network Connection -> Add. Followed the guide.

But after searching the net, it seems that this guide only works in other Linux OS’s and not in Qubes OS.

Instead I have to go into the sys-net settings... I have tried to follow the following guide, bit it seems that this method can’t bee used in 4.0.3 as sys-net settings looks very differently and without the same guide to manage internet connections.

Link to viewed guide: https://bytefreaks.net/gnulinux/qubes-os-connect-to-wi-fi-or-ethernet-or-another-network

Image of sys-net settings: https://bytefreaks.net/gnulinux/qubes-os-connect-to-wi-fi-or-ethernet-or-another-network/attachment/06-qubes-dom0-settings-application-for-sys-net

Image of the window to manage internet connections: https://bytefreaks.net/gnulinux/qubes-os-connect-to-wi-fi-or-ethernet-or-another-network/attachment/07-qubes-dom0-wi-fi-and-ethernet-settings-for-sys-net

Jan 29, 2020, 10:25:13 AM1/29/20
to qubes-users
After reinstalling Qubes OS 4.0.3 I tried to insert the USB modem after the first restart and let it be in the pc while doing the last configurations.

When I afterwards logged into Qubes OS as user, a red network icon was visible in the menu in the upper right corner of the screen with the text: “No network connection”.

By right clicking on it and choosing “Edit connection”, it is possible to add the new mobile broadband connection. Just follow the guide, it’s quite intuitive.

But now I’m stuck again...

Hope someone will help me further...

Jan 29, 2020, 5:26:21 PM1/29/20
to qubes-users
After restarting the pc and login a new window appear about connection to the Tor network. I have tried both a direct connection and by using one of the bridges. They all stops after loading 2 or 5 %.

Isn’t it possible to use Qubes OS to connect to the internet without a VPN, and if so how ?

I’m totally stuck.

And I have wasted several hours searching the web trying to find some guidance on how to connect to the internet with a USB modem in Qubes OS without any luck.

I suggest some more guidance on this in Qubes OS or at least on Qubes OS’s documentation page.

Jan 30, 2020, 6:49:20 AM1/30/20
to qubes-users
On github.com 0spinboson wrote to me: “assuming you have a USB qube (sys-usb) configured, you'll first need to click on the qubes devices systray icon, then connect the USB modem to your sys-net qube, before it'll be able to talk to it.”

As I use a USB keybord and mouse, I think the installer told me that the sys-usb and the sys-net was combined in one qube. But I’m not certain.

I have tried to connect the USB modem to the sys-net qube by clicking on devices, then on the USB modems storage device and click on the sum sign to the left of sys-net. But the result seemed to be the same. And I have also tried to add the mobile broadband connection afterwards. But there’s still no network.

I have also tried open the sys-net Qube Settings. Here it says:
Under Basic -> Networking: None
Under Devices -> Selected: None is shown
Under Services: Only clocksync is shown with a tick

Shall I connect the USB modem to the sys-net qube in another way, and if so how ?

Or does anyone have any other ideas on how I can get Qubes OS connected to the internet by using the USB modem (Huawei E3372 with also Linux drivers on it) ?

Jan 30, 2020, 6:57:20 AM1/30/20
to qubes-users
I should properly also mention that under devices only one other device besides the microphone is listed when the USB modem is plugged in. And that is: “dom0: sda - TF_CARD_Storage () (sys-net)”.

When the USB modem isn’t plugged in, only the microphone is listed here.

awokd

Jan 30, 2020, 9:21:32 AM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M:
Try a dom0 terminal instead. Qvm-ls will list your VMs. Use it to
determine if you have a separate sys-usb. Next, use qvm-usb with your
modem plugged in to see if Qubes recognizes it. If you don't have a
separate sys-usb, it should be connected to sys-net automatically. Use a
terminal in sys-net to troubleshoot further.

Please also include the portion of this email you are replying to, if a
reply is needed. If you are using the Google web interface, I think you
have to specify "reply inline". In your posts to the list, I can only
see what you typed and not what you're responding to, which makes
putting it into context challenging and harder to assist you.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Jan 30, 2020, 10:09:44 AM1/30/20
to qubes-users
Yes, I use the Google interface as I find it easier to work with.

Could you elaborate on >>specify "reply inline"<<. Sorry I don’t understand what you would like me to do. Although I understand that I somehow should get Google to send the other post in the thread with every message that is being sent. But I don’t know how to do that. Shall I instead just reply to the received mail, or... ?

I have used qvm-ls in a dom0 terminal to list all VM’s. No sys-usb found.

I have used qvm-usb in a dom0 terminal: No USB devices is shown. Neither USB modem, USB keyboard or USB mouse. Just mentioned in case they also should be shown here.

“If you don't have a separate sys-usb, it [the USB modem] should be connected to sys-net automatically. Use a terminal in sys-net to troubleshoot further.”
How shall I use the sys-net terminal to troubleshoot further ?

awokd

Jan 30, 2020, 10:39:41 AM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M:
> Yes, I use the Google interface as I find it easier to work with.
>
> Could you elaborate on >>specify "reply inline"<<. Sorry I don’t understand what you would like me to do. Although I understand that I somehow should get Google to send the other post in the thread with every message that is being sent. But I don’t know how to do that. Shall I instead just reply to the received mail, or... ?

I'm subscribed to the list through email, so don't know exactly how
their web interface works. Replying might work better.

> I have used qvm-ls in a dom0 terminal to list all VM’s. No sys-usb found.
>
> I have used qvm-usb in a dom0 terminal: No USB devices is shown. Neither USB modem, USB keyboard or USB mouse. Just mentioned in case they also should be shown here.
>
> “If you don't have a separate sys-usb, it [the USB modem] should be connected to sys-net automatically. Use a terminal in sys-net to troubleshoot further.”
> How shall I use the sys-net terminal to troubleshoot further ?

The same way you would troubleshoot USB modem problems in any Linux
distribution (Fedora if you're using the default template). If USB
controller passthrough is working, and it's to sys-net, it's most likely
not a Qubes issue. Another way to confirm your USB controller is in the
VM you need is with qvm-pci. This should show your USB controller(s)
assigned to sys-net.

To start troubleshooting sys-net, unplug and plug in your USB modem. Go
to a terminal window in it and enter "sudo journalctl -b". Hold down
space until you get to the end. See if you have any related error
messages, then put them in a search engine along with "Fedora" and look
for suggestions. Is there some package you need to install to support
your modem?

Foppe de Haan

Jan 30, 2020, 11:52:18 AM1/30/20
to qubes-users
I searched a little because the whole TF_Card_reader seemed a really strange identifier to me for a wifi dongle, and I found https://gist.github.com/jfstenuit/13becfe728046074f5aaa0cb7f899ab9 . is for a different model, but the same principle may well apply. If so, you'll need to tell the dongle to switch to wifi connection mode before it'll work. To make triaging easier, it may be handy to use a fedora live boot USB.

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 3:02:44 PM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I’m new to both Linux and Qubes OS. I have only experience with windows and mac. So the way to troubleshoot here in Linux is totally new for me.

qvm-pci in sys-net terminal returns “command not found” some text and “Curl error (6)”.

The modem works both with PartedMagic Linux, Trails 4.2.2 and Windows 10. And I have read that it also works with Fedora .

The USB modem has both drivers for Win 10, OSX and Linux on it.

I have tried to write “lsusb” in the dom0 user terminal. Here it recognizes the USB modem:

ID 12d1:14dc Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

But when i run the same command in sys-net, there is only two devices listed - even after I have mounted the storage drive to sys-net: “Adomax Technology QEMU USB”  and  “Linux foundation 2.0 root hub”.

How shall I proceed... ?

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 3:05:09 PM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have also found something here:

Here it says that it should work well with kernel higher than 4.7:

Maybe this is more helpful, but I probably need som help if I’m going to do this:

I will take a closer look on the last one as it seems to fit better with what I’m experiencing although Qubes OS behave a little bit different...

I hope you will help me configure it correctly...

tor. 30. jan. 2020 kl. 17.52 skrev Foppe de Haan <0spin...@gmail.com>:
I searched a little because the whole TF_Card_reader seemed a really strange identifier to me for a wifi dongle, and I found https://gist.github.com/jfstenuit/13becfe728046074f5aaa0cb7f899ab9 . is for a different model, but the same principle may well apply. If so, you'll need to tell the dongle to switch to wifi connection mode before it'll work. To make triaging easier, it may be handy to use a fedora live boot USB.

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 3:06:44 PM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
In the last link I send, it says:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:14dc Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

There are two ID numbers separated by colons 12d1 & 14dc
These are your two original ID numbers and you are going to need them later on in the same order, so write them down.
Next you need to be able to manually put your device into the correct mode i.e get it working as a modem. The command for this will be:

$ sudo usb_modeswitch -J -v 0x12d1 -p 0x14dc

In which terminal shall I write this ?

tor. 30. jan. 2020 kl. 18.09 skrev M E <annee...@gmail.com>:
[...]

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 3:09:50 PM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
In the sys-net terminal, the result is “No devices in default mode.”

In the dom0 terminal the result is:

So it seems that didn’t work...

I’ll try to read the link further...

tor. 30. jan. 2020 kl. 18.19 skrev Foppe de Haan <0spin...@gmail.com>:

in the terminal of the qube that the modem is connected to, so presumably sys-net.

On 1/30/20 6:18 PM, M E wrote:
[...]

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 3:12:26 PM1/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I’ll try to do the following which is my short and edited version of the last link:

Create a file with a text editor of any kind and insert the following:

#!/bin/bash

sudo usb_modeswitch -J -v 0x12d1 -p 0x14dc

Be sure to include YOUR numbers.

Then save the file with a relevant name and save it in a place (remember the path to the directory) that you will not delete it by accident for as long as you will need to use your Huawei modem.

The next step is to get Fedora to know how you want this script to be dealt with, to run it as a script and not open it to view the file.

To execute the following command you should be in the target directory where you saved the file to, so for example Desktop if that is where you did save it:

$ sudo chmod +x {your file name}

This will let the system know to run this as a script.

The next step is to create a rule file in the same place as all the other rules. So go to /lib/udev/rules.d/
give yourself Super User rights by typing command:

$ su

You will be prompted for password and then you should see the # key appear.

Name this rule anything you want, perhaps 99-myhuaweimodem.rules.
I do recommend however to use the number 99 so we can find the rules easily and also to give it a .rules ending so that it fits in with the rest.

When I was in the path /lib/udev/rules.d/ I opened a terminal there and then used the command

$ nano

This should open up a text editor in the terminal where you will paste the following being sure to use your device numbers where you see them in this line:

ACTION==“add”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“12d1”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“14dc”, RUN+="/home/{your-user-name}/Desktop/{your-file-name}"

Please ensure that you use your numbers and that the path
/home/{your-user-name}/Desktop/{your-file-name} corresponds to where you saved the file(script) you created earlier and the user name etc is yours obviously and do not include the { } signs! Then save this file.

I’m uncertain about if I shall replace {idVendor} and {idProduct} with something different (don’t know what) or they shall be left as such.

The last and final step:

The user (yourself) needs the authorization to run a command such as sudo without a password. So that is done by adding an exception to the sudoers file which can be found in /etc/sudoers

However, this monkey won’t let us make any changes to this file unless we are are sudo and admin ourselves, so you need to edit this text file as root (sudo or su) and do it using nano, the terminal text editor like we did earlier using the command:

$ sudo nano sudoers

At the very end of this file once we have opened it we need to add the line at the bottom:

{your-user-name} ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch

Be sure to insert your system user name where I wrote {your-user-name} without the { } signs.

Now save the changes you made and restart your machine.

The changes should take effect and now when you insert your modem, it will work as a modem automatically.

I searched a little because the whole TF_Card_reader seemed a really strange identifier to me for a wifi dongle, and I found https://gist.github.com/jfstenuit/13becfe728046074f5aaa0cb7f899ab9 . is for a different model, but the same principle may well apply. If so, you'll need to tell the dongle to switch to wifi connection mode before it'll work. To make triaging easier, it may be handy to use a fedora live boot USB.

Jan 30, 2020, 4:35:22 PM1/30/20
to qubes-users
For a guide to use the text editor “Nano”, see here: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-nano-text-editor/

M E

Jan 30, 2020, 7:18:20 PM1/30/20
to qubes-users
This method didn’t change the result. The USB modem is still recognized by Qubes OS as a USB storage device instead of a modem. All though it is recognized as a modem by Tails 4.2.2 and by PartedMagic - both Linux live OS’s.

And I have checked if I have written anything wrongly.

So I still can’t get any network connection.

So it would be nice to hear how others who use the same USB modem has managed to get Qubes connected to the internet.

tor. 30. jan. 2020 kl. 22.35 skrev M <annee...@gmail.com>:
For a guide to use the text editor “Nano”, see here: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-nano-text-editor/

M E

Jan 31, 2020, 6:54:25 AM1/31/20
to qubes-users

New method tried that didn’t work

I have tried another method which seems to work in Ubuntu and which I’ve found here, but it didn’t work either:

The method

Add a new network connection using Network Manager panel. The connection type is 'Ethernet'. In Device Mac Address, select the mac address of your modem and click 'Save'. This new connection should come up in your Network Manager now. I hope this answer helps others.

I’ve found the USB modem’s MAC address by running a Linux Live OS (PartedMagic), and looked under System profiles -> Network -> Devices, and wrote it down.

I then logged into Qubes OS, right clicked on the red network icon in the menu -> Edit connections -> Add -> Ethernet.

Writing the MAC address in the input field beside “Device”, pressed Enter and pressed Save.

And I have tried it both before and after I have connected the USB device to sys-net VM.

The problem

Of course the problem is that the USB modem’s MAC address doesn’t exist in the OS as long as the device isn’t recognized as a modem. So by entering the MAC address in the Network Manager, there is just being entered an address to a device which doesn’t match the MAC address of any device according to the OS.

So somehow Qubes OS needs to recognize the device as a USB modem.

Questions

So the question remains: How can I get Qubes OS to recognize the USB device as a modem... ?

And as some other Linux distros (Fedora ( see link: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/309370/4g-modem-works-only-on-livecd-in-fedora ), Ubunto, Arch, Tails 4.2.2 and PartedMagic) is able to recognize the USB device as a modem, it seems that Qubes OS miss something that makes it possible for the OS to recognize the device as a modem.

For example in this forum the users said from dec. 2017 and onwards that the modem Huawei E3372 is recognized and work with other Linux distros.

An obvious question is then: What does these distros have which Qubes OS doesn’t have, that makes them being able to recognize the device as a modem ?

And is it something that can be downloaded an added to Qubes OS to make it recognize the device as a modem ?

If so, I would appreciate a download-link.

M E

Jan 31, 2020, 7:24:14 AM1/31/20
to qubes-users
Maybe I should have investigated Foppe’s suggestion further before I looked into the other methods I found...

On this page there is a link to this page:

where some packages are offered for download.

I’ll try the method described above and get back afterwards...

Some days will probably pass before I’ll return with an update...

Jan 31, 2020, 11:11:56 AM1/31/20
to qubes-users

awokd

Feb 1, 2020, 2:09:08 PM2/1/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M E:
> I’m new to both Linux and Qubes OS. I have only experience with windows and
> mac. So the way to troubleshoot here in Linux is totally new for me.
>
> qvm-pci in sys-net terminal returns “command not found” some text and “Curl
> error (6)”.
>
> The modem works both with PartedMagic Linux, Trails 4.2.2 and Windows 10.
> And I have read that it also works with Fedora .
>
> The USB modem has both drivers for Win 10, OSX and Linux on it.
>
> I have tried to write “lsusb” in the dom0 user terminal. Here it recognizes
> the USB modem:
> ID 12d1:14dc Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
>
> But when i run the same command in sys-net, there is only two devices
> listed - even after I have mounted the storage drive to sys-net: “Adomax
> Technology QEMU USB” and “Linux foundation 2.0 root hub”.
>
> How shall I proceed... ?

Qvm-pci only works in a dom0 terminal.

Feb 4, 2020, 4:06:04 PM2/4/20
to qubes-users