qubes vpn autostart

botaniga

May 12, 2019, 12:32:43 PM5/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
im new to qubes, and currently struggling with a new setup.
Key among the functions i need is a proxy-vm for vpn. Unfortunately, i find the instructions in the docs very confusing.I found the qubes-tunnel and the qubes-vpn-support project, i wasnt able to to get qubes-tunnel to work at all since the instructions are very vage and unclear, however, i managed to setup qubes-vpn-support, and as far as i can tell the anti-leak rules do work.
Now, my Questions:
- Whats the difference  between them, and which one is safer/ leakproof?
- How do i setup an autoconnect via nmcli /Networkmanager?
The instructions in the docs clearly do not work at all.
I added the connection in the Network-manager, it does connect just fine when i select in the gui, but no autoconnect on proxy-vm-boot.
My vpn-provider doesnt require a passwd file, so i tried the following :
nmcli connection up "file-vpn-conn" eth0
nmcli c up "file-vpn-conn" eth0

What did i do wrong? Im using a fedora-29 template.
thanks in advance.

Daniil Travnikov

May 12, 2019, 5:25:20 PM5/12/19
to qubes-users
Are you talking about this doc: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/#set-up-a-proxyvm-as-a-vpn-gateway-using-iptables-and-cli-scripts ?

If yes, did you try this doc from "Set up a ProxyVM as a VPN gateway using iptables and CLI scripts" ?

botaniga

May 13, 2019, 6:53:45 AM5/13/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, loadcorp@gmail.com>
No, i followed the instructions with from https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support, and also tried "Set up a ProxyVM as a VPN gateway using NetworkManager" from the docs, in particular the autoconnect function, since the antileakfeatures from qubes-vpn-support seem a lot mot sophisticated to me.
The "Set up a ProxyVM as a VPN gateway using iptables and CLI scripts" instructions are way to complicated for me.Im confident using a shell and follow instructions, but im not a computer-expert nor programmer.
Also, as i understand, one doesnt have a graphical interface to quickly switch vpn-server (which i need) and i really like the Network-manager gui with the lock as kind of a doublecheck feature.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On 5/12/19 12:32 PM, 'botaniga' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello,
> im new to qubes, and currently struggling with a new setup.
> Key among the functions i need is a proxy-vm for vpn. Unfortunately, i
> find the instructions in the docs very confusing.I found the
> qubes-tunnel and the qubes-vpn-support project, i wasnt able to to get
> qubes-tunnel to work at all since the instructions are very vage and
> unclear, however, i managed to setup qubes-vpn-support, and as far as i
> can tell the anti-leak rules do work.

The qubes-tunnel project is a renamed clone of Qubes-vpn-support. The
only difference is that the former requires a template installation, and
the docs for it are in a draft state (although, if you clicked through
to the draft vpn.md page they are not really vague).

FWIW, I wrote the current Qubes vpn doc CLI section, then created
Qubes-vpn-support to simplify setup and enhance link reliability.

> Now, my Questions:
> - Whats the difference  between them, and which one is safer/ leakproof?

Qubes-vpn-support will eventually acquire some new features, while
qubes-tunnel is in a holding pattern for inclusion in Qubes 4.1.

> - How do i setup an autoconnect via nmcli /Networkmanager?
> The instructions in the docs clearly do not work at all.
> I added the connection in the Network-manager, it does connect just fine
> when i select in the gui, but no autoconnect on proxy-vm-boot.
> My vpn-provider doesnt require a passwd file, so i tried the following :

Network Manager is a separate way to connect a vpn. Do not mix a NM vpn
setup with Qubes-vpn-support or qubes-tunnel (or the CLI instructions
from the Qubes vpn doc).

> |nmcli connection up "file-vpn-conn" eth0|
>
> |nmcli c up "file-vpn-conn" eth0|
>
> |What did i do wrong? Im using a fedora-29 template.|
>
> |thanks in advance.|

At this point I'd suggest using Fedora 28 with Qubes-vpn-support, as a
bug has been logged about a problem with Fedora 29. OTOH, you could try
using NM with Fedora 29 to see if that works.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

botaniga

May 13, 2019, 8:40:35 AM5/13/19
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.
Well, NM works with my fed 29 template, so does qubes-vpn-support. The only thing i just cant get to work is the autoconnect at boot, anti-leak features do work.
Are there any mistakes in the nmcli-line i wrote?
Im sure the qubes-tunnel instructions make sense for somebody who knows what he is doing, but all i can do is follow step by step instructions :(.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

May 14, 2019, 10:03:27 AM5/14/19
to Daniil Travnikov, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I will try the cli way, but as i understand, i wont have the networkmanager option of switching the vpn servers, which is a dealbreaker for me, i need to be able to easily switch vpn servers, see my current connections etc.

The gui way is the way ive done it, works great, so do the qubes-vpn-support anti-leak features, the only thing i cant get to work is the autoconnect.

Switching vpn servers in the shell just isnt an option for me at all, i have to have a setup which is usable for my family, and that means no shell.
Maybe its a bit early to switch to qubes os for endusers?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.