Make xfce4-netload-plugin display next to netvm icon?

Haw...@bitmessage.ch

Feb 14, 2017, 5:09:18 PM2/14/17
to qubes-users
The network monitor plugin displays nicely colorized current network
traffic rate on the XFCE panel. I would like to get this displaying
the netVM's traffic rate, next to the red netvm in Dom0's panel.
However, typically it doesn't run in the "notification area", and I'm
not sure how to get it displayed in Dom0 (as the netvm icon is).

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Haw...@bitmessage.ch

Feb 17, 2017, 4:06:25 PM2/17/17
to qubes-users
As a generalization of my previous question:

I've seen screenshots (Joanna's:
https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/10212863/16384754/7e131672-3c8a-11e6-8fc7-62bf9a1d90bf.png)
where a section of the panel seems to be showing the XFCE menubar from
another VM, such as sys-firewall. Perhaps I'm interpreting the colors
wrong, but I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this. Does
anyone have any tips?

Andrew David Wong

Feb 20, 2017, 5:05:51 AM2/20/17
to Haw...@bitmessage.ch, qubes-users

Haw...@bitmessage.ch

Feb 20, 2017, 1:02:31 PM2/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 02:05:41 -0800
Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> On 2017-02-17 13:06, Haw...@bitmessage.ch wrote:
> > As a generalization of my previous question:
> >
> > I've seen screenshots (Joanna's:
> > https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/10212863/16384754/7e131672-3c8a-11e6-8fc7-62bf9a1d90bf.png)
> > where a section of the panel seems to be showing the XFCE menubar
> > from another VM, such as sys-firewall. Perhaps I'm interpreting the
> > colors wrong, but I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish
> > this. Does anyone have any tips?
> >

> I actually don't see what you describe in that screenshot. Can you
> explain in more detail what you mean?
>
> P.S. - Please don't top-post.

It looks to me like the little green monitor bars and green text in
the upper right might be displaying sys-firewall data. I could be
wrong, but am curious either way.

> > On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:09:10 -0600
> > <Haw...@bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> >
> >> The network monitor plugin displays nicely colorized current
> >> network traffic rate on the XFCE panel. I would like to get this
> >> displaying the netVM's traffic rate, next to the red netvm in
> >> Dom0's panel. However, typically it doesn't run in the
> >> "notification area", and I'm not sure how to get it displayed in
> >> Dom0 (as the netvm icon is).
> >>
> >> Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I've attached a screenshot of the XFCE network monitor (in a normal
XFCE install) that I was hoping to display in dom0, but with
real-time data from netvm or firewall. The goal is to see all
current network traffic easily.

Thanks!

Haw...@bitmessage.ch

Feb 20, 2017, 1:06:42 PM2/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
and the screenshot is attached...

> > - --
> > Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> > Community Manager, Qubes OS
> > https://www.qubes-os.org

> web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/D048C965-4D5F-464F-ACC5-CC56A0AB02EC%40mail.bitmessage.ch.
Screenshot.png

Unman

Feb 20, 2017, 5:27:24 PM2/20/17
to Haw...@bitmessage.ch, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It seems to me that the issue here is that you want to attach a panel
applet from sys-net to the dom0 panel. I don't think this can be easily
done.

You can, of course, open a xfce-panel and run the applet in that, but
this wont be locked to the dom0 panel, and will be a freefloating
window.

An alternative would be to choose a monitor that uses the system tray
because Qubes will automatically incorporate this in to the dom0 system
tray, (like the nm-applet).
For example, you could install indicator-multiload and have it
automatically start configured to show network traffic - this should
appear in the system tray. I think that shows graphs so it isn't exactly
what you are looking for.
I'm probably missing something obvious but this solution will work as you
want.

Another approach might be to run conky configured semi-transparent so
you retain the output but don't lose screen space.

unman

Haw...@bitmessage.ch

Feb 20, 2017, 6:37:12 PM2/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
So install XFCE in the fedora template, restart, run "xfce4-panel
--preferences" in the netvm, and add a new panel via the panel gui,
followed by the applet?

> An alternative would be to choose a monitor that uses the system tray
> because Qubes will automatically incorporate this in to the dom0
> system tray, (like the nm-applet).
> For example, you could install indicator-multiload and have it
> automatically start configured to show network traffic - this should
> appear in the system tray. I think that shows graphs so it isn't
> exactly what you are looking for.
> I'm probably missing something obvious but this solution will work as
> you want.
>
> Another approach might be to run conky configured semi-transparent so
> you retain the output but don't lose screen space.
>
> unman

I thought that indicator-multiload was debian/ubuntu only? I think it's
on the wish-list for the Fedora repos.

I guess Conky might be a good way to go.

Thanks!

Andrew David Wong

Feb 21, 2017, 5:30:06 PM2/21/17
to Haw...@bitmessage.ch, qubes...@googlegroups.com