(Qubes 4.0) FileNotFoundError in qubes-manager, now Qubes isn't working

Andreas Rasmussen

May 3, 2018, 7:14:05 PM5/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes crashed a few hours ago, probably due to me trying to open way to many images in GIMP at once.

After a reboot I cannot open any VM's or the Qube Manager. The network manager and the tray icon for mounting external disks is also gone.

Trying to open Qube Manager gives an error regarding line 9 in /usr/bin/qubes-manager. Upon a few hours of googling I found the errormessage in this thread https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/_D9ioTm8EnU/discussion to be similar and my qubes.xml is empty as well.

However; every time I overwrite qubes.xml with the newest (non-empty) backup-file, the file is empty again after a reboot. The shutdown procedure takes forever and stalls at "Reached target Shutdown". I then forcibly shut the computer off using the power button. When rebooting, qubes.xml is empty again.

Any help is really appreciated.

Andreas

donoban

May 3, 2018, 8:08:26 PM5/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

flowh...@gmail.com

May 3, 2018, 10:04:15 PM5/3/18
to qubes-users
What a coincidence..

I have exactly the same issue - my qubes.xml has corrupted (and I have no backup unlike you).
qubes-create generates a fresh qubes.xml file but I'm still having underlying issues. This is most certainly related to:

I could use a bit of help here.

I can't add my old VMs to qubes.xml (did it manually), as it results in the following error when I run "sudo service qubesd start" (journalctl):
Buffer I/O error on device dm-4 block 21590016

I tried running a fsck on /dev/dm-4 but it's has qubes-dom0-root mounted so it gives a scary warning.

I am unable to unmount /dev/dm-4 and thus unable to run any VM or _even_ move VMs to my secondary drive (which has everything setten up LVM wise).

flowh...@gmail.com

May 3, 2018, 11:05:52 PM5/3/18
to qubes-users
To the original poster, I suggest upgrading to a larger HDD. You most likely user up all of your space.

Can someone please post a sample of their qubes.xml? I'm missing my templates, I can't create new AppVMs, and thus I can't manually reconstruct my existing VMs :(

I need a copy of one file in an AppVM, then I'm wiping the drives and most likely starting from fresh.

Andreas Rasmussen

May 4, 2018, 3:43:00 AM5/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com