HCL: HP Spectre X360 - 15" i7-8550u 16GB / 512GB / GeForce MX150 /Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi

162 vues

mons...@gmail.com

non lue,
28 août 2018, 13:18:3428/08/2018
à qubes-users
Hello,
I've successfully installed Qubes OS R4.0 on an HP Spectre x360 with the following specs:

CPU: 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-8550U (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5 RAM); Intel UHD Graphics 620
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Screen: 15.6-inch 4K UHD (3,840 x 2,160) IPS WLED backlit
Storage: 512GB SSD (PCIe NVMe M.2)
Ports: 1 x Thunderbolt 3, 1 x USB-C 3.1, 1 x USB 3.1 Type-A, 1 x HDMI, 1 x 3.5mm audio jack, 1 x SD card reader
Connectivity: Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (2x2), Bluetooth 4.2
Camera: FHD webcam

Enabled virtualization in the BIOS and that was it.

Qubes OS works out of the box, everything I tested so far including the touch screen.

Martin

pieter lems

non lue,
29 août 2018, 15:50:0929/08/2018
à mons...@gmail.com,qubes-users

thank you for that i have the same laptop. when running multiple vm's the fan spins up pretty hard tho.

David Schissler

non lue,
31 août 2018, 21:00:3831/08/2018
à qubes-users
I was looking at this model a lot a month ago and wondering about this. Now I'm looking at the Matebook X Pro and the just barely released Thinkpad X1 Extreme. This is pretty good for the $1500 on Amazon US but it doesn't have a 3/2 screen like the Matebook X Pro and also the MXP seems to have a large Linux following. Also if the reviews of the X1 Extreme continue to come out good then for $600 more the X1 Extreme seems to just be much better and with 0.7lbs less (mmm minus the higher res screen).

I'll be in the market for a new machine in about 6 weeks. Does anyone know what the latest root host kernel is? For once during a new purchase I'll not be scrambling to replace a broken or stolen machine and so I'll be able to spend the time to adjust into using Qubes

Also what about Qubes 4.1? I don't want to have to deal with a messy upgrade soon after getting everything setup to be productive.

David Schissler

non lue,
31 août 2018, 21:08:2631/08/2018
à qubes-users
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 2:50:09 PM UTC-5, pieter lems wrote:
> thank you for that i have the same laptop. when running multiple vm's the fan spins up pretty hard tho.
>

> On Aug 28, 2018 7:18 PM, <mons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've successfully installed Qubes OS R4.0 on an HP Spectre x360 with the following specs:
>

> CPU: 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-8550U (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost)
>
> Graphics: Nvidia GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5 RAM); Intel UHD Graphics 620
>
> RAM: 16GB DDR4
>
> Screen: 15.6-inch 4K UHD (3,840 x 2,160) IPS WLED backlit
>
> Storage: 512GB SSD (PCIe NVMe M.2)
>
> Ports: 1 x Thunderbolt 3, 1 x USB-C 3.1, 1 x USB 3.1 Type-A, 1 x HDMI, 1 x 3.5mm audio jack, 1 x SD card reader
>
> Connectivity: Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (2x2), Bluetooth 4.2
>
> Camera: FHD webcam
>

> Enabled virtualization in the BIOS and that was it.
>

> Qubes OS works out of the box, everything I tested so far including the touch screen.
>

> Martin

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/5ca20ce1-88ec-4e10-ac1e-17c5ef5b3e87%40googlegroups.com.

Pieter have you considered undervolting the notebook? I bet that it runs Qubes a lot smoother afterwards. I've accepted that I'm going to have to learn a few new tricks to get the most out of a 2018 ultrabook with a stock overheating setup.

Try the links in this repo as they appear to be more current and with better docs.
https://github.com/mihic/linux-intel-undervolt

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer