Windows HVM has network access, but claims there isn't

Franz

Sep 9, 2017, 10:18:56 AM9/9/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

some strange behavior. on Windows HVM template as well as dependent VMs. In all of them internet is working. I am sure of that because:
1. on cmd pinging google or amazon works
2. a banking application is able to connect and operate

but the icon on the system tray states: identifying... no network access

worse amazon Kindle for PC believes that and is unable to connect.

So I wonder if there is a way to tell the system tray that internet is already connected. Maybe that after that also Kindle will understand that.

If I click on the system tray there are lots of options, but all seem directed to create a new connection: wireless, dial-up, router etc, not to join an existing connection.

Hope there is an easy answer... Thanks
Best
Fran

Hugo Costa

Sep 10, 2017, 11:42:45 AM9/10/17
to qubes-users

Make sure to configure everything by hand. So, go to the properties of your ethernet connection in Windows, IPv4 and make sure to use the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway you can find in the settings of the VM. Restart and it should work.

Franz

Sep 10, 2017, 6:57:10 PM9/10/17
to Hugo Costa, qubes-users
Tried that, and it works. Many thanks,  but it does not keep the new settings. After reboot  all fields are empty and again no network.

Hugo Costa

Sep 11, 2017, 5:53:49 AM9/11/17
to Franz, qubes-users
That's odd. You have already installed Qubes Tools too, correct? I remember doing that once and having the profile resetted, but still working.
--
Hugo Costa

Franz

Sep 11, 2017, 6:00:11 AM9/11/17
to Hugo Costa, qubes-users
On 10 September 2017 at 23:57, Franz <169...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Hugo Costa <hugon...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's odd. You have already installed Qubes Tools too, correct? I remember doing that once and having the profile resetted, but still working.

Thanks, it does not work in the template, but still works in dependent applVMs. That is enough.

anguil...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2017, 1:24:37 PM9/11/17
to qubes-users

If I recall, the current release notes for windows-tools says that the system tray icon will show no network even tho there is and it works. It is like this for me and I just accept it.

If someone works out a workaround, cool. But currently, this is expected behaviour.

wordsw...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2017, 10:42:49 PM10/20/17
to qubes-users

I've had this issue for a long time, and it prevented me from activating Office 365 (which I have to do at every boot for some reason).

I solve it by changing the IP in Windows settings to match the DNS IP - so eg 10.137.10.1 instead of 10.137.10.28.

This does not *actually* have to be DNS IP. I'm not sure exactly what's happening, but I'm assuming that when DHCP service is selected in networking settings Windows attempts to verify the internet connection using that information. Obviously QubesNetworkService will override the information, and a conflict occurs.

I think as long as you set a static IP, you are fine. For example, if you set your Windows 7 TemplateVM to its DNS IP, your AppVM network connection should still work properly even though it may be on a different firewall.

You can verify via ipconfig that even though you have selected the DNS IP in network settings, you are still connected on the proper IP for Qubes networking.

[799]

Oct 21, 2017, 8:35:58 AM10/21/17
to wordsw...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hello,

>> but the icon on the system tray states: identifying... no network access

I have the same problem with Qubes 3.2 and my Windows 7 HVM.
As I had some time, I tried to troubleshoot this and found a solution which at least seems to work for me:

What brought the solution to me, after doing some reading:
- Go to network settings and open the properties for your LAN-card.
- click on "Properties" which will bring you to the window where you can configure IP settings.
- do not configure something here yet! Click on "configure" which will bring you to the hardware settings screen.
- there choose the 2nd Tab ("Advanced") and go to "IP4 Checksum Offload" and change it to "disabled", then click OK.
- return to your LAN-properties screen and disable IPv6 and change IPv4 to static IP
  (in my case: 10.137.2.13, DNS and Gateway: 10.137.2.1, gateway: 255.255.255.0)
- Click ok, close all windows and reboot

On next reboot the yellow warning sign should be gone.
I tried this and verified it with 3 reboots ... yippiyayoo :-)

Further reading

Can you try this out and give a feedback, if this fixes the problem?
If so, this info should go into the documentation.
Unfortunately adding documentation to the official Qubes site seems to be very complicated and it takes a long time until it is approved.
That's why I don't invest time there, but prefer to throw the information into this mailinglist (and hopefully others will add it).

[799]