R4.0, Ubuntu, and Qt4/Qt5, and Salt

rysiek

Nov 18, 2017, 1:36:44 PM11/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I am playing with R4.0 rc2, and with a Kubuntu Zesty VM in it. My idea is to
use this Kubuntu VM as a stepping stone (my current main system is Kubuntu
Zesty), letting me move to Qubes gradually, by mounting /home in the VM. This
will let me have access to all my files and setup while I move it between the
VMs.

So far so good, there were some hurdles -- for instance, gpg-agent refuses to
work properly with pinentry unless I manually start gpg-agent with a shell:
gpg-agent --daemon /bin/bash

Two issues I was thus far not able to debug, though:

One annoying thing that happens is that while Qt4 applications in the VM are
using my color, icon, and widget settings (as defined in Kubuntu $HOME), Qt5
uses a weird mix of *some* parts of the color scheme, and *some* of the icons.

This is not only annoying and an eye-sore, but also the particular mix of
colors makes some parts of the interface simply unusable. Tried switching the
color settings, widget theme, tried figuring out if I am missing any (KDE/Qt
theme/icon/etc) packages, but am at a loss. I am starting to think Qubes
somehow messes with the Qt style settings.

Anybody any ideas?

Also, started playing with Salt, wrote a nice sls file to install all the
stuff I need in the Kubuntu VM, but... each time I run it I get an "ERROR". I
am guessing this is related to the less-than-stellar support for Ubuntu
templates in Qubes R4.0.

I'd love to know where I could start digging to perhaps help fix that. Any
pointers welcome!

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147
GPG Key Transition :: http://rys.io/en/147
signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 18, 2017, 4:30:56 PM11/18/17
to rysiek, qubes...@googlegroups.com

rysiek

Nov 19, 2017, 4:27:32 PM11/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:30:49 PM UTC Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 06:36:17PM +0000, rysiek wrote:
> > Also, started playing with Salt, wrote a nice sls file to install all the
> > stuff I need in the Kubuntu VM, but... each time I run it I get an
> > "ERROR". I am guessing this is related to the less-than-stellar support
> > for Ubuntu templates in Qubes R4.0.
>
> Run qubesctl with --show-output, or check /var/log/qubes/mgmt-*.log for
> details.

Thanks. This only gives me this error:
2017-11-19 22:06:19,000 calling 'state.highstate'...
2017-11-19 22:06:55,812 output: qubuntu:
2017-11-19 22:06:55,813 output: ----------
2017-11-19 22:06:55,813 output: _error:
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 output: Failed to return clean data
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 output: retcode:
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 output: 1
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 output: stderr:
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 output: stdout:
2017-11-19 22:06:55,814 exit code: 20

is tehre any way to enable more debug output?
signature.asc

viq

Nov 22, 2017, 2:20:41 AM11/22/17
to Michał Woźniak, qubes...@googlegroups.com