Thinkpad T440s i7 and Qubes 4.0 compatibility

Eivind K. Dovik

Apr 27, 2018, 12:04:08 PM4/27/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been offered a great deal on a used Lenovo Thinkpad T440s
(secondhand, but I trust the current owner). I am currently on a Macbook
Air running Debian and would like to make the switch to Thinkpad and
Qubes.

Does anyone have experience running Qubes 4.0 on a T440s? The T440s I am being offered has
a 512gb ssd and an i7 CPU.

Best,
Eivind

Matthew Wyenandt

Apr 27, 2018, 4:35:21 PM4/27/18
to qubes-users

I run Qubes 4.0 on T440p and it runs great. 500gb hdd and an i5 vPro CPU

Eivind K. Dovik

Apr 28, 2018, 5:22:47 PM4/28/18
to Matthew Wyenandt, qubes-users
I went and got the T440s today. I had prepared two USB drives: one with
Qubes 3.2 and another with Qubes 4.0. I tried installing Qubes 4.0 first. After setting
boot to UEFI, I was able to install Qubes 4.0. After installing, I ran
into problems when booting - ended up in a boot loop, never getting to the
grub-screen (this occured no matter what boot settings I set in the BIOS).

After playing around with the different boot settings, I tried installing
Qubes 3.2. This time, I had to do Legacy boot to get to the installer.
Installing was a breeze, and I'm currently running Qubes 3.2. Wouldn't
mind upgrading to 4.0. If anyone has a solution to my
boot-loop-problem, I'd be thankful.

Eivind

john

Apr 29, 2018, 3:10:58 AM4/29/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
maybe, I am missing something, did you try installing 4.0 in legacy mode?

it seems with the older thinkpads this is the way to avoid the dreaded
black screen EFI thing.

Eivind K. Dovik

Apr 29, 2018, 9:26:44 AM4/29/18
to john, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I tried installing Qubes 4.0 in legacy mode at first. I was presented with
the legacy-installer, and after hitting "Return" the screen went black.
UEFI-installer worked like charm, but booting after install did not (stuck
in boot-loop, no grub-menu).

Eivind

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0243fee9-9cff-8919-629a-5ba035fdd234%40riseup.net.

Fernando

Apr 30, 2018, 8:13:29 AM4/30/18
to qubes-users

I'm using a Thinkpad w530 and I had to play a little bit with BIOS settings, since virtualization does not play well with graphic card.

So I had to enable virtualization in BIOS (it's disabled by default) and then use integrated graphics (if no external monitor is connected) or optimus (if I have a external monitor).

After finding the right combination of these settings, I could boot without issues.

Hope this helps.

john

Apr 30, 2018, 1:43:41 PM4/30/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/30/18 02:13, Fernando wrote:
> On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 10:26:44 AM UTC-3, Eivind K. Dovik wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2018, john wrote:
>>
>>> maybe, I am missing something, did you try installing 4.0 in legacy mode?
>>>
>>> it seems with the older thinkpads this is the way to avoid the dreaded black
>>> screen EFI thing.
>>>
>> I tried installing Qubes 4.0 in legacy mode at first. I was presented with
>> the legacy-installer, and after hitting "Return" the screen went black.
>> UEFI-installer worked like charm, but booting after install did not (stuck
>> in boot-loop, no grub-menu).
>>

>> Eivind
>>

>>> --
>>>

> I'm using a Thinkpad w530 and I had to play a little bit with BIOS settings, since virtualization does not play well with graphic card.
>
> So I had to enable virtualization in BIOS (it's disabled by default) and then use integrated graphics (if no external monitor is connected) or optimus (if I have a external monitor).
>
> After finding the right combination of these settings, I could boot without issues.
>
> Hope this helps.

I noticed on the HCL that some TPad users had to change the Bios
graphics as well, My 530 didn't have that setting , "discrete graphics"