puppet environments not working

Chantal Rosmuller

Dec 17, 2013, 8:02:23 AM12/17/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On our puppet server the puppet environments do not seem to work. This is our puppet.conf:

[main]
logdir=/var/log/puppet
vardir=/var/lib/puppet
ssldir=/var/lib/puppet/ssl
rundir=/var/run/puppet
factpath=$vardir/lib/facter
confdir=/etc/puppet
templatedir=$confdir/templates
modulepath=$confdir/modules
manifest=$confdir/manifests/site.pp
manifestsdir=$confdir/manifests
hiera_config=/etc/puppet/hiera.yaml
pluginsync = true

[master]
certname= puppet3.domain.com
hostprivkey = /var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys/puppet3.domain.com.pem {mode = 640}
ssl_client_header = HTTP_X_CLIENT_DN
ssl_client_verify_header = HTTP_X_CLIENT_VERIFY
# ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN
# ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY
reports = store,tagmail
#reports = store,tagmail,puppetdb
storeconfigs = true
storeconfigs_backend = puppetdb

[dev]
modulepath=$confdir/environments/dev/modules
manifest=$confdir/environments/dev/manifests/site.pp

When i try

puppet agent --environment dev --no-daemonize --verbose --onetime

The changes in dev are not applied. Can it have anything to do with puppetdb?

The servers seems to recognize the puppet environment:

puppet module list --environment 'dev'

returns:

/etc/puppet/environments/dev/modules
├── aliases (???)
├── apt (???)
 etc

versions on the server:

ii  puppet                             3.3.1-1puppetlabs1            all          Centralized configuration management - agent startup and compatibility scripts
ii  puppet-common                      3.3.1-1puppetlabs1            all          Centralized configuration management
ii  puppetdb                           1.5.0-1puppetlabs1            all          PuppetDB Centralized Storage.
ii  puppetdb-terminus                  1.5.0-1puppetlabs1            all          Connect Puppet to PuppetDB by setting up a terminus for PuppetDB.
ii  puppetmaster                       3.3.1-1puppetlabs1            all          Centralized configuration management - master startup and compatibility scripts
ii  puppetmaster-common                3.3.1-1puppetlabs1            all          Puppet master common scripts

John Pyeatt

Dec 17, 2013, 9:08:41 AM12/17/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Not certain if this is the issue or not, but there seems to be a bug in the master regarding when the configuration file is read to override the default settings. Try doing this:
1) start up your puppet master
2) after it is up and running try running this from the command line   touch /etc/puppet/puppet.conf   this will force the puppet master to reparse the configuration settings.

I had a similar problem reading modulepath=.  There is apparently a fix for this in 3.4

John Pyeatt
Singlewire Software, LLC
www.singlewire.com
------------------
608.661.1184
john....@singlewire.com

Chantal Rosmuller

Dec 17, 2013, 9:18:06 AM12/17/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thnaks, i tried but it didn't work. We do not start puppetmaster as a standalone service so I stopped and started apache. (can that have anything to do with the problem ?)

Jeff Bachtel

Dec 17, 2013, 4:49:24 PM12/17/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
There is a problem with variable hooks in puppet.conf that is fixed in the latest 3.4 release candidates (or so sayeth the bugreps).

Can you try explicitly specifying your directories instead of using $confdir in that puppet.conf, at least to test?

Jeff

Chantal Rosmuller

Dec 19, 2013, 8:21:48 AM12/19/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jeff,

I changed $confdir to /etc/puppet/  but it did not fix the issue.

Chantal Rosmuller

Dec 19, 2013, 8:30:26 AM12/19/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your input, the problem is solved. The environments worked but I was testing with a file in a module that was not (yet) used. Sorry for wasting your time.