Announce: Puppet Platform 5.5.6 is now available!

Molly Waggett

Aug 22, 2018, 2:43:15 PM8/22/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Puppet Platform 5.5.6 is a bug-fix, feature, and deprecations release that includes updates for Puppet 5.5.6, Facter 3.11.4, and Puppet agent 5.5.6. For details, see the PuppetFacter, and puppet-agent release notes.

Puppet Server 5.3.5, also going out with this release, includes a new command line tool for interacting with the Puppet CA. For details, see Puppet Server release notes.

--
Molly Waggett
she/her/hers

Peter Meier

Aug 23, 2018, 4:43:00 AM8/23/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, Molly Waggett
On 08/22/2018 08:42 PM, Molly Waggett wrote:
> Puppet Platform 5.5.6 is a bug-fix, feature, and deprecations release
> that includes updates for Puppet 5.5.6, Facter 3.11.4, and Puppet agent
> 5.5.6. For details, see the Puppet
> <https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/5.5/release_notes.html>, Facter
> <https://puppet.com/docs/facter/3.11/release_notes.html>,
> and puppet-agent
> <https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/5.5/release_notes_agent.html>release notes.

So this release deprecates autosign:

Warning: Setting autosign is deprecated.
(location:
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/settings.rb:1169:in
`issue_deprecation_warning')

But to what should this configuration option now be migrated so there is
no deprecation warning anymore?

From what I see when scanning through docs and jira, the new options are
not yet implemented. So we just have to live with the deprecation
warnings? Or what am I missing?

best

~pete

signature.asc

Justin Stoller

Aug 24, 2018, 1:13:58 AM8/24/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Yeah, we wanted to get the deprecations in sooner rather than later, but unfortunately the Puppet Server side config work didn't land in time for this release.

For what it's worth, the transformations from Puppet's puppet.conf settings to Puppet Server's conf.d should be mechanical (if its still a supported setting then the same values will be honored; they should simply be translated from ini to hocon in the Puppet Server's config).

We hope to have another release relatively soon that allows you update the settings (and resolve the deprecation warnings).

HTH,
Justin

best

~pete

Peter Meier

Aug 24, 2018, 2:43:03 AM8/24/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, Justin Stoller
Hi

thanks for the answer.

> We hope to have another release relatively soon that allows you update
> the settings (and resolve the deprecation warnings).

Yeah would make sense to have that rather sooner than later. While I
understand why you want to get deprecation warnings in as early as
possible, there must be an alternative to migrate to (if the feature is
not to be dropped at all).

With deprecation warnings you want to signalize folks that they have to
act and adjust their configuration. But at the moment they just can't do
anything other than ignoring it, which defeats the whole purpose of that
warning. And eventually will make them also ignoring other warnings.

best pete

signature.asc