Puppet Fundamentals training - how "fundamental" is it?

David Taylor

Jan 17, 2014, 12:35:30 PM1/17/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been playing around with Puppet with a view to implementing it at my workplace. I've already run through the "Learning Puppet" tutorial on docs.puppetlabs.com and the quizzes in the Puppet Learn Library, and now I'm looking into more formal training to try and get everything nailed down in my head and to get an idea of best practices for module design, environments etc. I was wondering if anyone could advise on whether the Puppet Fundamentals course is the right course to go for, or is it aimed at the complete Puppet novice - i.e. will I find that it just retreads things I already know?

Dave Taylor

Andrey Kozichev

Jan 17, 2014, 1:12:44 PM1/17/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Best training you can get: define a task and then try to solve it.

Patrick Lesher

Jan 17, 2014, 1:19:13 PM1/17/14
to <puppet-users@googlegroups.com>
Hi Dave,
  I had a good amount of experience using puppet before taking the course and while there were somethings that were repetitive I definitely got a lot out of the class.  I would say you set yourself up perfectly to take the class already and will be able to solidify those skills and learn new things.  Our instructor was very willing to answer questions and help with "what if I wanted..." types of things.

  Good luck with the class and enjoy!

--Patrick

Nathan Valentine

Jan 17, 2014, 1:30:36 PM1/17/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hey, David.

I'm a trainer for Puppet Labs and just finished teaching my bazillionth Fundamentals class yesterday. ;)

The class is appropriate for those with at least a little bit of Ops or Dev experience and it helps greatly if you are at least minimally comfortable with VMWare/Virtualbox and things like SSH and Unix-y text editors (vi or nano). That said of my my most impressive students was an MBA and had been out of pure tech for 5 or 6 years. The classes assume no previous Puppet experience but scripting experience certainly won't hurt you.

The class covers Puppet agent + master workflow, some basic version control, Puppet modules, Defines, Parameterized Classes, Hiera and a few other bits specific to Puppet Enterprise. I've had students who have been doing Puppet for a couple of years come to the Fundamentals class and say afterwards they were surprised how much they learned. One particular student who expressed that view was maintaining a Puppet codebase of nearly 10k lines and thought he had seen it all before coming to class.

I will warn you that most people how decide to skip Fundamentals and go straight to Advanced often regret it. It is quite a step up.

You might want to check the training schedule on our site. I think we list "Puppet Introduction" classes there. They are a one-day very accelerated and stripped down version of the Fundamentals class. They are almost always taught at industry conferences as opposed to a public training center. Sitting through one of those would give you a very good idea what to expect in Fundamentals.

Feel free to email my offlist if you have other questions.

Nathan Valentine, Puppet Labs Professional Services

Johan De Wit

Jan 17, 2014, 5:05:25 PM1/17/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On 01/17/2014 07:30 PM, Nathan Valentine wrote:
[...]

I can confirm this.  I gave an advanced training recently to some people skipping the fundamentals.  And they were missing some stuff  we teach in the fundamentals on which advanced is building upon.

Not a general rule, but ...    even experienced puppet people are positive about the fundamentals, because the still learn a lot.

And even I still learn while teaching those courses.  Puppetlabs put a lot of effort in them to keep them accurate and up to date.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM, David Taylor <david.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been playing around with Puppet with a view to implementing it at my workplace. I've already run through the "Learning Puppet" tutorial on docs.puppetlabs.com and the quizzes in the Puppet Learn Library, and now I'm looking into more formal training to try and get everything nailed down in my head and to get an idea of best practices for module design, environments etc. I was wondering if anyone could advise on whether the Puppet Fundamentals course is the right course to go for, or is it aimed at the complete Puppet novice - i.e. will I find that it just retreads things I already know?

Dave Taylor

Nathan Valentine, Puppet Labs Professional Services

Johan De Wit

Open Source Consultant

Red Hat Certified Engineer         (805008667232363)
Puppet Certified Professional 2013 (PCP0000006)

Open-Future                 Phone     +32 (0)2/255 70 70
Zavelstraat 72              Fax       +32 (0)2/255 70 71
3071 KORTENBERG             Mobile    +32 (0)474/42 40 73
BELGIUM                     http://www.open-future.be

Upcoming Events:

Puppet Fundamentals Training | http://www.open-future.be/puppet-fundamentals-training-4-till-6th-february

Puppet Introduction Course | http://www.open-future.be/puppet-introduction-course-7th-february