What types of Information Can Puppet Automate?

Angelika Modawal

Dec 11, 2013, 1:14:25 PM12/11/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We are considering using Puppet Enterprise to help us automate data about our Linux, Unix and Windows Servers.

What kinds of automated hardware data can we get from Puppet? Is there a straightforward list available of hardware specs available?

Thanks,

Dan White

Dec 11, 2013, 3:02:19 PM12/11/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Are you road-testing Puppet Open Source ?
The list of default facts that come out of facter is impressive

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

Dec 11, 2013, 4:48:24 PM12/11/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
In the process.

I need at least a generic list of fields it can automate to understand if it is a viable solution for us. Do you know how I would get such list without downloading Puppet?

I can't due to admin rights restrictions.

Dan White

Dec 11, 2013, 4:56:41 PM12/11/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Here's a list of fact names (no values) from one of my systems with (I hope) all the custom facts removed

architecture
augeasversion
bios_release_date
bios_vendor
bios_version
blockdevices
broadcast_ip
domain
facterversion
filesystems
fqdn
hardwareisa
hardwaremodel
hostname
id
interfaces
ipaddress
ipaddress_eth0
ipaddress_lo
is_pe
is_virtual
kernel
kernelmajversion
kernelrelease
kernelversion
lsbdistcodename
lsbdistdescription
lsbdistid
lsbdistrelease
lsbmajdistrelease
lsbrelease
macaddress
macaddress_eth0
manufacturer
memoryfree
memoryfree_mb
memorysize
memorysize_mb
memorytotal
mtu_eth0
mtu_lo
mtu_sit0
netmask
netmask_eth0
netmask_lo
network_eth0
network_lo
operatingsystem
operatingsystemmajrelease
operatingsystemrelease
osfamily
path
physicalprocessorcount
processor0
processorcount
productname
ps
puppetversion
rubysitedir
rubyversion
selinux
serialnumber
sshdsakey
sshfp_dsa
SSHFP
sshfp_rsa
SSHFP
sshrsakey
swapfree
swapfree_mb
swapsize
swapsize_mb
timezone
type
uniqueid
uptime
uptime_days
uptime_hours
uptime_seconds
uuid
virtual

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

You can 'gem install puppet' as a regular user (from your rvm'ed gem) and then run facter as yourself. I've used gem-installed facter while testing 'puppet device' against a load balancer and everything puppet worked just fine.