Combining Stitched Panoramas

Bruce Gerhardt

Sep 15, 2021, 8:07:28 AM9/15/21
to PTGui Support
I am new to PTGUI, but I understand that it is possible to combine several PTGUI projects into one pano using the  File->Append other project function.

I know this sounds silly, but does this mean that the already stitched/processed panos in question can be combined together to form one large pano?

The reason I ask is, that I have looked at what Matterport has to offer, and actually used Cupix's SaaS. They work well, but everything must be processed and viewed on line. I need a "stand alone" image that I can use off line. I plan to use 3DVista as the virtual tour software using the one, combined panoramic image.

So, my thinking is that combining projects  into one pano is fundamentally the same thing that Matterport and Cupix do.  From what I have experienced so far, PTGUI has a  simpler work flow, better control/quality, and is considerably less expensive.

Am I correct in with my assumptions?

If this is the case, it's the holy grail for me! Thanks in advance for your assistance.

PTGui Support

Sep 15, 2021, 8:29:37 AM9/15/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

No I'm sorry, this is not the case. All images in a project must be
taken from the same viewpoint. The 'Append other project' function is
intended for example to combine two projects taken at the same place but
at different resolutions.

You cannot use this to create a virtual tour or a 3d model of a building.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3cd2b2a0-d114-4a52-b7d3-96ffe4e0ecefn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3cd2b2a0-d114-4a52-b7d3-96ffe4e0ecefn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bruce Gerhardt

Sep 16, 2021, 11:54:18 AM9/16/21
to PTGui Support
Thank you for your response. Does this mean that I cannot combine several panoramas that have a similar frame/reference?

Thank you for your time.

PTGui Support

Sep 16, 2021, 1:51:57 PM9/16/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Similar is not good enough; the panoramas must have been taken from the
exact same camera viewpoint.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com