Back after a huge huge hiatus.

1 vue

Christopher Gilland

non lue,
10 juin 2022, 08:37:3810/06/2022
à ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, I'm sure a lot of you remember me, and if nothing else,
probably know me from the Komplete Kontrol Access list, and also the VO
Logic users group.

I won't bore you all with much intro since most of you already do know
me, but I do wanna catch all of you, especially people like Kevin, Slau,
and a few others heavily in the PT ecosystem up with where I'm now at
with things.

So, it's kind of a long story, but the very condensed jist of it is, in
November of 2020, right after the pandemic hit, due to me being high
risk as far as health is concerned, I was made to stay at home and
hardly at all get out in public. Given that I wasn't working, this gave
me a huge huge amount of time on my hands to really take on learning
more about audio production than the time before I was able to commit..
I pretty well thought I knew what I was doing when it came to audio
mixing, editing, producing, etc, but boy was I in for a rude awakening!
I'm very humbly saying this.

I decided, for some reason clear beyond me to give Reaper another try.
I'd struggled with it tremendously before, just getting all the ins and
outs, no pun intended, down pat. For whatever bizarre reason still to
this day unknown to me, this time, it clicked. Everything just totally
fell into place and made sense.

The problem was, and I'll get to PT, I promise. Just stick with me...
virtual instruments. I had been using Xpand2 inside ProTools, along with
Ivory, and maybe a few more things. In Reaper, I didn't have native
access, again, no pun intended, to those luxuries, and therefore had to
invest in something else. I'd heard a lot of very good things about
Native Instruments/Komplete Kontrol, and so I went ahead and took the
plunge and got an M32 controller since I already had a full sized 88 key
controller I could use for actually playing. I also got a 2TB external
hard drive, as I knew I'd probably need it eventually.

Now fast forward to April of 2021. At that time, I still had that same
Mac  mini that Kevin Reeves tought me ProTools on back in 2012. That
thing was still chugalugging along. It however by then was very old.
We're talking 8GB ram, I5 mid 2012 and only running Mojave. I didn't
even have Catalina on it, as it ran too slow, barely ran Mojave
efficiently. Plus, a lot of my virtual instruments were bottle necking
out tremendously!

Given that I had gotten the full 1300 dollar stemulous check that month,
I put it forth to get an Orbit Reader 40, which wound up being an
absolute disaster, but I won't go there. The point is, I was refunded
that full amount from Orbit research. I then decided, you know, if I
wanna get serious with audio, that mac really! needs to be upgraded,
case closed, what better time to do it than now while I have the 1300
and can.

So, I made the plunge, and got a rose gold 2020 M1 cilicon 13 inch
macbook air with 8GB ram, 512 internal SSD, and 8 core processor
running, at that time, Big Sur. We'll simply say, I will never! look
back! This system is incredible, and fast as a bullet!

Once I got the new system, I decided to see if it would be a better
experience than before running Logic. Boy was it ever! It has now become
for the time being my primary DAW. So much so, I even stopped the
monthly payments to Avid for ProTools. I now strongly regret doing that,
but I should be able I hope to deal with that, and resubscribe to the
monthly license.

I have admittedly forgotten a lot about using ProTools, but I know that
I'll pick it back up incredibly quickly. I'm a very fast learner
usually, and I'm sure it'll come back to me once I get back into it. I'd
really though like to give it another try now that I have an up to date
system.

So yeah, that's where we're at, and I'm very happy to be back on the
list, and did miss all of you.

Chris.

Slau Halatyn

non lue,
10 juin 2022, 10:24:3810/06/2022
à PTAccess List
This was launched literally this morning:

The "Pro Tools Guide for screen Reader Users" is a free online resource made possible through the Berklee College of Music and features a comprehensive series of tutorials aimed specifically at blind users of Avid's Pro Tools digital audio workstation software. It includes 250 audio demonstrations (totaling 20 hours) with detailed examples to accompany each topic. All of the Pro Tools session files used throughout this series are available to download for reference and practice. As the process of refining Pro Tools accessibility is ongoing, this online guide will continue to be updated regularly to reflect the most recent improvements to the Pro Tools user interface from the perspective of a screen reader user. Whether you're new to Pro Tools or already use it with adaptive technology and want to expand your knowledge, start your journey by visiting:
https://ptaccess.github.io

Kathryn Zodrow

non lue,
10 juin 2022, 13:03:0410/06/2022
à ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris. Welcome back to the ProTools list again! I don’t know you that well, but I remember listening to a podcast you did Wayback in 2013 called A Look at ProTools. This is when I was first learning how to use the software again with Mac OS X and voiceover and it was helpful. Wow, it sounds like you’ve done a lot since the pandemic happened and I’m glad you could get back into audio production. I haven’t used logic much, but I’ve heard it’s accessible with Voiceover. Is it as accessible as ProTools? I would like to learn this software as well once I upgrade to a newer Mac.
I briefly started looking at the new ProTools guide last night and so far it’s great. Very straightforward.
Katie

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 10, 2022, at 7:24 AM, Slau Halatyn <slauh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This was launched literally this morning:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/08FE27CC-BD47-44BF-A822-1185D8E350C1%40gmail.com.

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer