OT: Finder - Convert Selected Audio Files

Martin (Punky) Sopart

Nov 9, 2020, 2:54:42 AM11/9/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

I want to encode arround 20,000 wave files to alac by using the integrated
Finder function.
For locating and selecting them I use the Finder search, starting at the top
level folder.
Search criteria: "type is music"
All files are found and displayed.
Now I select them by using Command+A.
After a while I press VO+Shift+M for the contextual menu, but the very last
item "Convert Selected Audio Files" is missing here.

Are there any limmitations regarding maximum files or folders?

Tia! / Martin

Ignasi Cambra

Nov 9, 2020, 3:49:12 AM11/9/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had to do this myself, but I'm pretty shure a good way of getting this done would be to use Automator. Have a look at it and let us know how it goes!

IC

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 Nov 2020, at 08:54, Martin (Punky) Sopart <ma...@cakewalker.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all!

Slau Halatyn

Nov 9, 2020, 10:16:42 AM11/9/20
to PTAccess List
Hi Martin,
Sometimes the encode option is buried within the services submenu. Check that.
Slau

Martin (Punky) Sopart

Nov 9, 2020, 10:33:06 AM11/9/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hello Slau!

The Item in the Finder, Services menu is also missing, when selecting all the files.
I think there must be a limmitation...
And the web didn't help 😊

Thanks! / Martin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/A8910E5D-B619-40EF-BBCF-
> B91EE51D6CBE%40gmail.com.

Slau Halatyn

Nov 9, 2020, 10:43:03 AM11/9/20
to PTAccess List
Hmm, not sure why you're not seeing the encode option in the first place. I just selected 141 files and right-clicked and the encode option was available without even being under the services menu. Not sure what's going on but perhaps one of the selected files is technically not eligible for encoding?
Later, much later :)
Slau
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/005a01d6b6ad%24a0fb9cd0%24e2f2d670%24%40cakewalker.de.

Martin (Punky) Sopart

Nov 9, 2020, 10:51:11 AM11/9/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
I searched for all files with the ending .wav
Alternatively I searched all music files.
Both searches gave the same number of files.
So maybe I have to encode folder by folder ☹ to find the beast.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/DA6125DD-21D6-4AF0-B083-
> 5E7D0337CA70%40gmail.com.

Ignasi Cambra

Nov 9, 2020, 11:47:40 AM11/9/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

If I were you I would really give Automator a try. Maybe you think it's complicated if you're not used to it, but once you get used to the interface it's very, very useful for things like this.

Ignasi

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 Nov 2020, at 16:51, Martin (Punky) Sopart <ma...@cakewalker.de> wrote:
>
> I searched for all files with the ending .wav
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/005d01d6b6b0%24277cadb0%2476760910%24%40cakewalker.de.

Slau Halatyn

Nov 9, 2020, 7:19:40 PM11/9/20
to PTAccess List
Ah, I forgot that you're doing this within a search window. Perhaps the encode option will only work in the Finder because it does have those options related to location of files and deleting or not deleting and maybe that gets fuzzy when using a window with search results rather than straight Finder Window. Perhaps it's worth checking out Ignazi's suggestion.
Slau
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/005d01d6b6b0%24277cadb0%2476760910%24%40cakewalker.de.

Steve Sparrow

Nov 9, 2020, 7:29:27 PM11/9/20
to 'Joy Bausch' via Pro Tools Accessibility
this is interesting. I didn’t know this wass possible from the finder. In my case the encode files option comes up. but the destination box is greyed out. It says destination desk top, and that’s dimmed and I can’t seem to change the location. Any thoughts would be good for me too, as this would be very useful
Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/DA6125DD-21D6-4AF0-B083-5E7D0337CA70%40gmail.com.

Martin (Punky) Sopart

Dec 3, 2020, 3:33:13 AM12/3/20
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hello Slau and Ignasi!

Here my last update...

It makes no difference how the selection of the files is done.
Both, the Finder and the search dialog work the same.

The problem is, that the integrated encode function only accepts a maximum of 1000 files.
Selecting a single file more will deactivate the menu item "Encode Selected Audio Files".
I double checked this on different hardware platforms.

So I finally used an audio convert app for that.

Best! / Martin