Gaussian and Poisson distribution

Ramesh Kumar

Feb 2, 2022, 7:04:50 AM2/2/22
to PRISM model checker
Hi Dave,

Need your help on how to express arrival rate of a variable with Gaussian and Poisson distribution in prism modeling language.

Thanks,     ...Ramesh

Gethin Norman

Feb 2, 2022, 8:44:33 AM2/2/22
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com, Gethin Norman
Rameh,

you can model a Poisson distributions directly as this is just the exponential distribution, i.e. using a CTMC.

For other continuous distributions you can approximate using phase type distributions (which are convolutions of exponential distributions), i.e. as a sub-CTMC. The case for determinitsic distributions is explained here:

https://www.prismmodelchecker.org/manual/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/PRISMModelling#det_delay

Note that this can cause a blow up in the size of the state space.

thanks

Gethin

Ramesh Kumar

Feb 3, 2022, 12:56:09 AM2/3/22
to PRISM model checker
Thanks a lot, Gethin. I could understand implementing Poisson. Would go through the link for other distribution and would seek your support if I am stuck.

Ramesh