Raised Mathematics at Mathfest

David Farmer

Aug 4, 2022, 4:53:35 PM8/4/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

At the AIM booth at Mathfest we have a display of open
textbooks. The examples we have are by Beezer, Boelkins, Bowman, and
Judson.

We also have braille on display, and more generally raised mathematics.
(I or someone will will share a photo.)

I decided to show the raised diagram of polar coordinates, because
it is well known and you can see how it "works" as raised dots.
I point out how it takes two characters to make a "theta".

But then I noticed a couple things.

1) I had the raised diagram and I wanted to know exactly what was
written on it. So I looked up "polar coordinates" in the index,
and it wasn't there! (My print edition is 2016, so that may have
changed.)

2) I flipped through the book and found it as Figure XXX.
So now I know what caption says and what is written on the diagram.

3) So then I noticed that the axes are x and y, but the label at
the end of the radius vector is a + b i !!!

So, it seems the axes labels are wrong, or maybe just confusing.

4) At the workshop it was said that a bare "x" or "y" are not
the proper way to label the axes in braille: should be preceeded
by something I forget.

Regards,

David

Mitch Keller

Aug 4, 2022, 7:54:15 PM8/4/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Here is the photo David promised!

Rob Beezer

Aug 5, 2022, 2:28:36 PM8/5/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Really nice! Love the "raised up" font!

Thanks David and Mitch, for representing open textbooks, PreTeXt, and Raised
Mathematics at MathFest this year.

Rob

On 8/4/22 16:54, Mitch Keller wrote:
> Here is the photo David promised!
>

>> On Aug 4, 2022, at 4:53 PM, David Farmer <far...@aimath.org
>> <mailto:pretext-dev...@googlegroups.com>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext->dev/alpine.LRH.2.21.2208041554510.7229%40li375-150.members.linode.com.
>
> --
> Mitch Keller
> mi...@rellek.net <mailto:mi...@rellek.net>
>
> http://www.rellek.net/

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/A0C47940-2530-4C3F-9FD0-846B0E6D711B%40rellek.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/A0C47940-2530-4C3F-9FD0-846B0E6D711B%40rellek.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rob Beezer

Aug 5, 2022, 2:36:14 PM8/5/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 8/4/22 13:53, David Farmer wrote:
> I decided to show the raised diagram of polar coordinates

From Judson's AATA, right?

> 1) I had the raised diagram and I wanted to know exactly what was
> written on it.  So I looked up "polar coordinates" in the index,
> and it wasn't there!  (My print edition is 2016, so that may have changed.)
>
> 2) I flipped through the book and found it as Figure XXX.
> So now I know what caption says and what is written on the diagram.

The book itself should have braille for the figure number, the caption, and
other "description" text provided by an author. The latter is being improved,
PreTeXt-wide. Then a blank page will be created where the image can be inserted
in its place, with a single line at the top identifying it (Figure X.Y,
ideally). All planned, about half-implemented.

> 4) At the workshop it was said that a bare "x" or "y" are not
> the proper way to label the axes in braille:  should be preceeded
> by something I forget.

IIRC, a "baseline indicator" - a particular cell (I forget which one) that
allows the reader to establish how the cell for "x" or "y" sits. If the single
letter has only one or two dots, it could be confused for several (many!)
different possibilities.

5) The whole page needs an overall open/close Nemeth indicator, since I thin all
the labels are 100% math each.

Rob