Soliciting Early Feedback on Facebook PHP Tools and Extensions

Josh Watzman

Nov 19, 2013, 1:40:50 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello PHP FIG!

I'm Josh Watzman and I work on the PHP Language and Tools team at Facebook. Over the last several months, a group of us have been working on some tooling and extensions to the PHP language that have been very successful at increasing developer productivity and catching bugs in Facebook's PHP web stack. I'm working on getting those tools open sourced, and while we're not quite ready to release yet, we are very interested in getting some early feedback on them -- most especially from folks such as FIG members and others on this list who are interested in writing high-quality, well-structured PHP code. (Your goal is interoperability of course, but the means are largely the same.)

If you think this is something your project might possibly be interested in, in the short or long term, I'd be elated to talk to you. We're trying to get a wider perspective on the general utility of these tools, how they interoperate with the Zend and HHVM runtimes, and what it would take and look like for a project to start adopting them. Of course, the best way to be sure what those things mean for the wider PHP community is to engage the wider PHP community :)

Please shoot me an email if you're interested and we can discuss further. Thanks!
Josh Watzman

Larry Garfield

Nov 19, 2013, 2:47:08 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
I can't speak for all of Drupal, but I'm definitely interested myself.
Are you talking about engine-level tools like XDebug, XHProf, and the
like, or user-space tools, or syntax changes, or...?

--Larry Garfield

Cal Evans

Nov 19, 2013, 3:17:05 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would like to see them.

Cheers!
=C=

Josh Watzman

Signaling PHP
Learn to catch signals in PHP

Paul Dragoonis

Nov 19, 2013, 4:47:15 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
Hi Josh,

Nice to meet you! Please do share the goodness with us and we'd be more than happy to learn more about them.

Thanks.
Paul

Phil Sturgeon

Nov 19, 2013, 4:49:54 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
Me too.

Hari K T

Nov 19, 2013, 6:34:46 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
Count me too :-) .

Hari K T

You can ring me : +91 9388 75 8821

Skype  : kthari85
Twitter : harikt

Amy Stephen

Nov 19, 2013, 6:57:50 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
Josh -

Please add me to your reviewer list. I am author of Molajo and am interested in what FB has to share with the broader PHP community.

Thanks!
Amy

Jeremy Lindblom

Nov 19, 2013, 7:03:25 PM11/19/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
ME2PLZ

-- Jeremy Lindblom
PHP Software Engineer, AWS

Josh Watzman

Nov 19, 2013, 7:10:38 PM11/19/13
to <php-fig@googlegroups.com>
Thanks for all the interest! It's probably best to email me directly instead of replying to the list -- I've been following up with everyone individually in order to keep the chatter which might not be of general FIG interest off-list (and to also get initial gut reactions from everyone without having seen anything else first). Please do keep responding, I'm interested to hear from as many people as possible!

Sorry for not including this in my original message.

Thanks!
Josh Watzman

On Nov 19, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Jeremy Lindblom <jerem...@gmail.com>

Alexander Makarov

Nov 20, 2013, 5:06:02 AM11/20/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
Count me in.

André R.

Nov 20, 2013, 5:31:28 AM11/20/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
I'm in.

What is your email?

Donald Gilbert

Nov 20, 2013, 10:46:25 AM11/20/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
Joomla is also interested in what Facebook has for the broader community.

I would email you directly, but sadly cannot, because you didn't leave your email and Google isn't giving me the option to reply to you directly.

Jordi Boggiano

Nov 20, 2013, 11:35:56 AM11/20/13
to php...@googlegroups.com, jwat...@fb.com
This is absurd given that his emails shows up fully in mail clients..
anyway for the lost souls on google groups, it is: jwatzman AT ...
fb.com
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/5388922c-85b7-4b3d-bf71-c07c7a76b4a2%40googlegroups.com.

Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://nelm.io/jordi