Bus connectors on expansion cards

Magnus Olsson

May 9, 2022, 4:51:42 PM5/9/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Does the bus connector on the expansion cards have the same pinout as the corresponding connector on the motherboard? That is, can I take the cable intended to connect the motherboard to the PAL-1 and use it to connect, say, the second UART card directly to the PAL-1?

GN L

May 9, 2022, 9:48:14 PM5/9/22
to Magnus Olsson, PAL 6502 computer
You can find the connection information on http://pal.aibs.ws/assets/RIOT_expansion_manual.pdf

> On May 10, 2022, at 4:51 AM, Magnus Olsson <mne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does the bus connector on the expansion cards have the same pinout as the corresponding connector on the motherboard? That is, can I take the cable intended to connect the motherboard to the PAL-1 and use it to connect, say, the second UART card directly to the PAL-1?

Best,
Liu

Magnus Olsson

May 10, 2022, 5:19:35 AM5/10/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Thanks!

What's the name of the type of 18-pin connector that fits into J1? There are so many types of connectors out there and I need the right search term to find one.

Also, there seems to be a place on the board for a header labelled "onboardexpansion". What's the purpose of that?

Magnus Olsson

May 10, 2022, 5:20:51 AM5/10/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Sorry, I meant J2, not J1. I'm referring to the 18-pin connector with access to the parallel ports.

GN L

May 10, 2022, 5:43:48 AM5/10/22
to Magnus Olsson, PAL 6502 computer
A 2 row, 9 position with 2.54mm pitch female header can be use. I recommend the header with 90º solder pins, like the one on the RIOT gadget adapter.

The onboard expansion pins are for simple/testing purpose, like flash an LED, you need to fly wires from the chip to the onboard expansion pin.