OpenCog and Research Interest ---

Joseph Horner

Jul 6, 2017, 10:49:51 AM7/6/17
to opencog
I am a professional Software Engineering, but also a part time PhD Student in Computer Science.  I have been studying Evolutionary Computation and Genetic Algorithms for years in undergrad  and in my master Program.  I found the OpenCog users group a while back but have not really had the time to dive in and contribute.   I'm at a point where I'd like to contribute and have the time to do so.  After reading Ben's books on Engineering General Intelligence I feel this is a solid approach to achieving AGI as well and I'd like to help in any way that is needed. What are some of the best approaches to understanding the OpenCog software platform?  Looking forward to learning more about OpenCog and maybe help mature the technology to achieve true AGI.

Nil Geisweiller

Jul 6, 2017, 3:24:26 PM7/6/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph,

I suppose you should build opencog first

http://wiki.opencog.org/w/Building_OpenCog

(Ubuntu 14.04 is mentioned but I'm sure it works with more recent
versions of Ubuntu, or other distros, I'm running Debian for instance).

then run the examples under the atomspace and opencog repo

https://github.com/opencog/atomspace/tree/master/examples

(start by the pattern matcher, then the rule-engine, then what you want)

https://github.com/opencog/opencog/tree/master/examples

(any one you)

You may also want to go through the tutorial on the wiki

http://wiki.opencog.org/w/Hands_On_With_OpenCog

From there pick up the part you like the most and start studying, look
if there aren't some issues you'd like fix

https://github.com/opencog/atomspace/issues
https://github.com/opencog/opencog/issues

or ask the persons working on it to guide you for helping.

Note that there are other projects besides atomspace and opencog, like
moses, a program learner, see

https://github.com/opencog

for a complete list.

Enjoy.

Nil
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/de582d33-4f81-43c8-b528-337f8ffeb3b7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/de582d33-4f81-43c8-b528-337f8ffeb3b7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Matthew Ikle

Jul 6, 2017, 3:42:32 PM7/6/17
to opencog
If you want to use Ubuntu 16.04, my summer interns built a new version of the octool for installing the dependencies. We have so far run into no issues using 16.04 (aside from some minor alterations for use with virtual machines.) Here is octool_1604:

octool_1604

Joseph Horner

Jul 6, 2017, 4:15:17 PM7/6/17
to opencog
Thank you Nil for the links to the walk through and build process (Also thanks Matthew for the Ubuntu 16.04 build environment I'll try this install since that is my OS of choice).  I'll take a close look at the issue list and begin experimenting  with the platform after I get a working environment.

I appreciate the feedback and looking forward to learning more!

Linas Vepstas

Jul 6, 2017, 4:32:59 PM7/6/17
to opencog
Bug-fixing is an excellent way of learning the existing system, as is reading through the documentation on the wiki.  The first is strongly encouraged, the second is vital.  But, to keep your interest, you may want to keep in mind some overall goal that you can use to guide you from task to task. Viz "I want to XYZ, and step 1 is to ..."

--linas

Joseph Horner

Jul 7, 2017, 8:48:06 AM7/7/17
to opencog
Thanks Linas.  I have been reading the wiki,  I was able to get the platform built on a mac using vagrant.  I will try and use the new octool Matthew suggested on my ubuntu machine...
Yes I agree there needs to be a goal and I'll keep that in mind as I begin trying to understand the different pieces of OpenCog and how they work together and interact.  Thanks again for all the help and input.

Linas Vepstas

Jul 7, 2017, 6:00:22 PM7/7/17
to opencog
If you've built the thing, you don;'t need octool. octool is a one-time-only thing, to help with initial installation.

--linas

Message has been deleted

Michael Duncan