Search for new nvPY maintainer

Charl Botha

Oct 21, 2014, 11:28:01 AM10/21/14
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am not able to spend the time on nvPY that it deserves. It is in the best interest of the nvPY code and its users that it (my precioussss :) gets a new maintainer who is willing and able to spend the necessary effort on maintaining and extending nvPY.

If you are willing and able to take over this duty, please let me know via email to cpbotha AMPERSAND vxlabs DOT com, or via a post to this discussion group. You would fork this repo, and then I would modify all documentation here to state that your fork is the new canonical version of nvPY. I reserve the right to select the candidate that I consider to be the most suitable for this job.

All the best,
Charl Botha

3arn0wl

Oct 21, 2014, 11:31:37 AM10/21/14
to nv...@googlegroups.com
I wish I had the skills to help.  Thank you for all the work you've done on nvPY.  I use it every day, and find it absolutely invaluable.

3

GMason

Mar 1, 2015, 4:31:36 AM3/1/15
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Let me also thank you bery much. I can't become the new maintainer as I am not a coder, but I really hope that this project will not be anamdonned. I use it a lot and I LOVE it!

3arn0wl

Jun 23, 2015, 6:03:45 PM6/23/15
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I've noticed over the last couple of days that nvPY keeps giving the
message "Could not connect to simplenote server". I'm obviously on line.

I don't recall having noticed this problem before, and was wondering
what was going on?

very best,

3

3arn0wl

Nov 27, 2015, 5:38:20 AM11/27/15
to nv...@googlegroups.com
:) Hi

I was just wondering if it would be an easy job (!) to code nvPY so that
we can choose to sync to our own NAS or hard drive?

Cheers for all the hard work, on an invaluable app.

3

Charl P. Botha

Nov 30, 2015, 1:29:14 AM11/30/15
to nv...@googlegroups.com
nvpy has been designed for the largest part around the simperium / simplenote sync protocol and servers.

However, you *can* try the text note mode to work directly on a set of text notes on your NAS. This will only work when the NAS is actually available.

I _was_ working on an extension to nvpy that would support having something else sync the database (e.g. dropbox, owncloud, synching,) and then would be more careful about listening to changes happening on the filesystem, but I didn't get much further than the very start.

See you,
charl

3

3arn0wl

Nov 30, 2015, 4:57:37 AM11/30/15
to nv...@googlegroups.com
:) Thanks again Charl. I wish I could code!

3

3arn0wl

Feb 12, 2016, 8:27:28 AM2/12/16
to nv...@googlegroups.com
I was reading an OMG Ubuntu article yesterday -
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/02/fromscratch-new-ubuntu-note-taking-app

- about an app called FromScratch -
https://github.com/kilian/fromscratch

- which is not a patch on nvPY (of course), but does have a couple of interesting features.

Firstly it uses the FiraCode font, which lets you type common programmatic ligatures and symbols using regular characters, e.g. -> becomes →, => becomes ⇒, and != becomes≠

https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

The other thing is that it auto saves to a file on your harddrive, which can sync using a Symlink to somewhere like Dropbox for backup.

But since I've currently got 159 Notes - so it's absolutely no use for me!

3