when start nvPY "could not get note list from server"

José María Báez Durán

Nov 5, 2019, 2:50:24 PM11/5/19
to nvpy
Hello

I am using Linux Mint 19.2 and have installed nvPY from official repositories (version 1.0.0).

I have decided to use it because Simplenote does not notify of new updates in Linux Mint, and I have lost some note between devices. I think the reason may be that the PC version is outdated.

The fact is that when I start nvPY I get the message "could not get note list from server", but the credentials to connect to Simplenote are correct.

I have taken the example configuration file from the folder '/usr/share/doc/nvpy/examples/nvpy-example.cfg', I have renamed it to '.nvpy.cfg' and I have updated the credentials to connect to Simplenote. I copy the lines of the file '.nvpy.cfg':

"# all nvpy releases AFTER 0.8 have to have this section
# in 0.8 and older, it used to be [default]
[nvpy]
sn_username = us...@gmail.com
sn_password = password "

Thanks in advance.

平野勇輝

Nov 5, 2019, 9:52:10 PM11/5/19
to nv...@googlegroups.com
The nvPY v1.0.0 no longer works because it using obsoleted simplenote
API. Please upgrade to latest version of nvPY with the following
commands.

# Uninstall old nvpy package.
sudo apt purge nvpy
# Install nvpy from PyPI.
sudo apt install python3 python3-pip python3-tk
sudo pip3 install --upgrade nvpy

This is new example configuration file. You probably don't need to
modify configuration. See it if necessary.
https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/blob/master/nvpy/nvpy-example.cfg

If you want to register nvPY to application launcher, See
https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/blob/master/nvpy/vxlabs-nvpy.desktop

2019年11月6日(水) 4:50 José María Báez Durán <baez...@gmail.com>:

平野 勇輝 (Yuki HIRANO)
東京工科大学大学院 バイオ・情報メディア研究科 コンピュータサイエンス専攻 2年
yuuk...@gmail.com
c0115...@edu.teu.ac.jp

José María Báez Durán

Nov 10, 2019, 5:44:32 AM11/10/19
to nvpy
Thank you.

It works now. I thought it was better to use the system repositories, to ensure access to updates.

On the other hand, regarding the use of the application:

- I can see a list of the tags in: "Tools> List Tags", but isn't it possible to see only the notes that belong to a tag? For me it is important, because I use tags as categories of notes.
- What is the utility of the checkbox 'CS' ?.
- Is there any way for the system to notify me of new updates?

Thanks again.

平野勇輝

Nov 10, 2019, 10:23:29 AM11/10/19
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for using nvpy.

Stefan van der Walt working to update the nvPY package that the
registered to system repository. I don't know when the new nvPY
package will be available. You may know by asking him.

> - I can see a list of the tags in: "Tools> List Tags", but isn't it possible to see only the notes that belong to a tag? For me it is important, because I use tags as categories of notes.
> - What is the utility of the checkbox 'CS' ?.
If you want to filter notes by tag names, enter "tag:name" or "t:name"
in the search box. The CS means "case sensitive". You can
enable/disable case-sensitive search by the CS checkbox. See the
keyboard handling section in README for details.
https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy#keyboard-handling

> - Is there any way for the system to notify me of new updates?
The nvPY itself does not provide. However, you can able to receive
notifications using external tools:
- Subscribe the atom feed
(https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/releases.atom) by RSS reader.
- Watch the nvpy repository using github notification feature
(requires github account).