Music / jamming

dd d

Feb 28, 2022, 8:47:15 AM2/28/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I believe there was some kind of regular music night on a Monday before covid.  Anyone up for starting this up again, or doing something similar? Or anyone know of anything where I might jam or practice with others, at the Hackspace or elsewhere? I play the guitar, but not well, and think I’d practice more if there was a social element.  Anyway, if anyone is thinking similar thoughts, I’d be keen to hear ideas.
Thanks, Dan.

Evelyn Redwood

Mar 2, 2022, 4:35:58 PM3/2/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello!

I'm definitely interested in a jam if this becomes a thing on a Monday again! I play the piano (though it's been a while) and sing :) I've not been in for ages - is the piano still there in the entrance bit upstairs?

Evelyn

Ian Dickinson

Mar 2, 2022, 4:42:36 PM3/2/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Hi Evelyn,

There is still a piano in the Comfy Area, but unfortunately it's in need of a tune up.

Regards,

Ian

Evelyn Redwood

Mar 2, 2022, 5:45:27 PM3/2/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ian!

Sadly that's definitely not something I am able to help with, don't suppose you know who's best to ask if there are any plans to get it done any time soon?

Evelyn

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/5fe520a9-a4df-5fd5-5a5e-602ce0e6a8fe%40d1ckinson.com.

Ian Dickinson

Mar 3, 2022, 1:55:01 PM3/3/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

No plans as far as I know. I suspect if we want it tuned, it will need to be done by a member who has the skills, or funded by the members that are interested in using it.

Daniel Zadik

Mar 4, 2022, 3:15:30 AM3/4/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I’d definitely be up for turning up on a Monday, even if it were just two people, and hopefully more will come in time….

———
Science Writing (Genetics meets History) -
Twitter: @danielzadik

Art
(Back catalogue) -
(follow for regular posts) -
Website: theallnewmagictortoise.com Instagram & twitter: @TheAllNewMagic Facebook: facebook.com/TheAllNewMagic

Personal -
Mobile: 07823 881 404

Please give to Sarah’s charity supporting vulnerable pregnant women:
Dad’s music: zadik.co.uk/toms-music
Beautiful things made by Polly: etsy.com/uk/shop/PaulinePlug

On 2 Mar 2022, at 21:36, Evelyn Redwood <evelynh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!

Daniel Zadik

Mar 4, 2022, 3:18:17 AM3/4/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Looking at this, it’s apparently not too hard https://youtu.be/Y4bhaxczuz8 but need some tools….

Or do you have an electric keyboard.  I have an ancient one I could maybe bring, if you’d like…

———
Science Writing (Genetics meets History) -
Twitter: @danielzadik

Art
(Back catalogue) -
(follow for regular posts) -
Website: theallnewmagictortoise.com Instagram & twitter: @TheAllNewMagic Facebook: facebook.com/TheAllNewMagic

Personal -
Mobile: 07823 881 404

Please give to Sarah’s charity supporting vulnerable pregnant women:
Dad’s music: zadik.co.uk/toms-music
Beautiful things made by Polly: etsy.com/uk/shop/PaulinePlug

Matthew Gates

Mar 7, 2022, 11:56:58 AM3/7/22
to Nottinghack
A group of us used to play folky type music on Wednesdays - it lasted
a couple of years, but it fell by the wayside some years ago. Got a
bit repetitive. I'd be up for doing something like that again -
perhaps some new people could inject some new ideas to keep things
fresh.

--
<:3⁐)---

Matthew Gates

Mar 7, 2022, 12:04:32 PM3/7/22
to Nottinghack
With regard to the piano, I think it's worth getting it professionally
tuned. A couple of people (with good musical ears too) have had a go,
but without a great deal of success. I think it's partly that they
didn't have the right tools, and also that think it's pretty difficult
to do - especially when starting from a very out of tune state.

To get it tuned we need:

* Someone to volunteer to research how to do it (get quotes and
contact details from local piano tuners)
* Money. I pledge a tenner. Anyone with me?
* Someone to volunteer to arrange it with the tuner
* Someone to volunteer to be at the space when the tuner comes to let them in

Volunteers?
--
<:3⁐)---

Andrew Armstrong

Mar 7, 2022, 12:08:53 PM3/7/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If someone sorted some good quotes and the cost was reasonable/good, it might just be something the space can pay for rather than pledge drive for it. Speeds it up a bit too.

It's a shame it's been sitting there for so long untuned!

Andrew

Ian Dickinson

Mar 7, 2022, 3:20:48 PM3/7/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Being one of the two who have had a go at tuning the piano, I would agree on getting a professional in to do this properly!

It might be straight forward to tune up the odd note ourselves, but it's a big and difficult job to get the whole piano in tune.

I found that once a few keys had to be done, the earlier ones detuned and had to be redone.

Also the piano has previously been tuned one or two semitones low. This may have been done to take tension off the frame, but makes it difficult to play along with other instruments.

It would be good to get the opinion of a professional as to whether the piano can be tuned to concert pitch.

There seems to be plenty of piano tuners around, but most don't give prices on their websites.

However, here's one that does: https://fox-piano-tuning-nottingham.co.uk/

Looks like it will be a minimum of £30 if they can't do anything, but more likely we will need the £90 service.

I'm happy to put £10 in too.

If anyone is unsure how bad the tuning is, here's a video I made a few months ago: https://youtu.be/XE6VtDJ7QbQ

Daniel Zadik

Mar 12, 2022, 2:01:20 PM3/12/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
10 from me, too.

 I’m in for turning up and playing the guitar if any one or more others are!  I emphasise again, I’m rubbish!

———
Science Writing (Genetics meets History) -
Twitter: @danielzadik

Art
(Back catalogue) -
(follow for regular posts) -
Website: theallnewmagictortoise.com Instagram & twitter: @TheAllNewMagic Facebook: facebook.com/TheAllNewMagic

Personal -
Mobile: 07823 881 404

Please give to Sarah’s charity supporting vulnerable pregnant women:
Dad’s music: zadik.co.uk/toms-music
Beautiful things made by Polly: etsy.com/uk/shop/PaulinePlug

Daniel Zadik

Ian Dickinson

Apr 12, 2022, 9:35:33 AM4/12/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Christian from Fox Piano Tuning visited today to look at the piano. Unfortunately it is not good news. The tuning pegs are too loose to hold the tension required on the strings. He tuned a few keys, but within a matter of minutes the keys had lost their tuning. He also observed that the sound board is cracked in two places. So, without major rework (in particular replacement of the wrest plank that holds the tuning pegs), which he said would be very expensive, it is not tune-able.

Matthew Gates

Apr 12, 2022, 11:35:32 AM4/12/22
to Nottinghack
Oh that's a pity. I think we should probably get rid of it then.

I would be up for getting a replacement that is in better condition - it would be lovely to have access to a piano.

A more space-efficient  alternative would be a keyboard, although it's not as nice an object.

Mouse

Ian Dickinson

Apr 12, 2022, 11:39:00 AM4/12/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

A digital piano, with properly weighted keys may be good option.

Emily Roe

Apr 12, 2022, 11:46:28 AM4/12/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Mark Thompson

Apr 12, 2022, 12:26:59 PM4/12/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I’ve seen on Freecycle/Facebook marketplace people literally giving pianos away, with the stipulation you must collect it.

James Taylor

Apr 12, 2022, 12:40:17 PM4/12/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The Piano tuner might have leads or be offered ones that arent totally trashed, no sense lugging one all the way back to HS to find its also knackered!

On 12 Apr 2022, at 17:26, Mark Thompson <the.mr....@gmail.com> wrote:

I’ve seen on Freecycle/Facebook marketplace people literally giving pianos away, with the stipulation you must collect it.

Matthew Gates

Apr 12, 2022, 5:28:10 PM4/12/22
to Nottinghack
Best get rid of the old one before we start acquisition of a
replacement... Sounds like it's basically junk.

Is it worth reclaiming the wood from it (might be nice wood)? The
cracked frame sounds like scrap metal - might be able to get the
scrappies to come collect it. It'd be useful to harvest some of the
piano wire for project boxes (piano wire has a mission maker uses),
although that's a task for safety goggles and face shield!

Dunno what we could do with the keys and hammers other than bin them,
unless someone wants them for a Heath Robinson type machine... That
could be fun, but we'd have to have someone take them away.

--
<:3⁐)---

bobw

Apr 14, 2022, 7:52:48 AM4/14/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Keys are weighted with small lead weights; which I find useful.

1970's organs used to be very cheap however a quick look at ebay suggests that may no longer be the case. Even so

The trouble is they are big.

Bob

Daniel Zadik

Aaron Jackson

Nov 22, 2023, 9:40:45 AM11/22/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Might also be worth mentioning we've got a bit of a semi-regular ukulele jam going at the moment. Currently just casually organised via discord but they've been a lot of fun so far.

dd d

Nov 22, 2023, 12:32:27 PM11/22/23
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

Oh, cool. How do I get in the loop for that?