Netrek sites

Zach Uram

Apr 26, 2020, 2:51:49 PM4/26/20
to netrek-forever
Please join our Netrek Facebook group.

We also have a LinkedIn group.

And we have a Reddit board..

John R. Dennison

Apr 26, 2020, 6:06:37 PM4/26/20
to Zach Uram, netrek-forever
On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 11:51:49AM -0700, Zach Uram wrote:
> Please join our Netrek Facebook group
> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/netrek/>.
>
> We also have a LinkedIn group <https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4005816/>.
>
> And we have a Reddit board <https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrek/>..

Have we learned nothing from history? Splitting user bases, either in
the game or the community, hurts. There is this list which is gated
via google groups so there's a decent(ish) web-interface to it as well;
why does a 100% dead game / community require linkedin (and why are you
or anyone else using it after their slew of security issues over the
years?) or reddit? This doesn't help :(

John
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit

James Cameron

Apr 26, 2020, 6:24:57 PM4/26/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
I agree with John. Now is not the time to dilute unity.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Zachary Uram

Apr 26, 2020, 7:02:19 PM4/26/20
to netrek-forever
Ok.

To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
More info: http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.

James Cameron

Apr 26, 2020, 7:51:28 PM4/26/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
G'day Zach,

Let me expand on my brief assertion.

Now is the time a sporadic community of Netrek players could come
together again, by sharing among themselves, by playing Netrek
together, by helping each other. I was hoping for someone to begin
that, to restrain themselves to what will achieve that goal, and to
act positively.

On the other hand, a community destroyer will suggest other
communities to join, argue about when to schedule a game, complain
about missing information on our web site, and complain
about our not using HTTPS yet. (on netrek-dev@).

There have been people working behind the scenes for years; on
software, services, and the underpinnings of community. They don't
ask for thanks, but I thank those who have been doing this.

So please take more care, Zach. When you are about to say something,
pause for a moment and think how it will be received.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 07:01:40PM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> Ok.

> [3]
>
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM James Cameron <[4]qu...@laptop.org> wrote:
>
> I agree with John.  Now is not the time to dilute unity.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> [5]http://quozl.netrek.org/

> To post send mail here: [6]netrek-...@googlegroups.com
> More info: [7]http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.
>
> ---
> msgid/netrek-forever/20200426222451.GE30548%40laptop.org.
>
> --
> [10]http://www.fidei.org

> To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
> More info: [11]http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.
>
> ---
> netrek-forever/
> CAPu6UvDqCzWCw0Ju8AXmLnqySyU-%3D7orHs4MR_Fq%2BJzTDy%3DgqA%40mail.gmail.com.

> [3] -#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2
> [4] mailto:qu...@laptop.org
> [5] http://quozl.netrek.org/
> [6] mailto:netrek-...@googlegroups.com
> [7] http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> [8] mailto:netrek-forever%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> [9] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/20200426222451.GE30548%40laptop.org
> [10] http://www.fidei.org/
> [11] http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> [12] mailto:netrek-foreve...@googlegroups.com
> [13] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/CAPu6UvDqCzWCw0Ju8AXmLnqySyU-%3D7orHs4MR_Fq%2BJzTDy%3DgqA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

John R. Dennison

Apr 26, 2020, 10:00:17 PM4/26/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:51:21AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> There have been people working behind the scenes for years; on
> software, services, and the underpinnings of community. They don't
> ask for thanks, but I thank those who have been doing this.

To this end I'd like to share my thanks to James for maintaining
continuum for all these years and Bob Tanner and Real Time for hosting
that instance, along with most of the other 'netrek' assets on the
network as they have been doing for many, many years.

My thanks also go out to anyone else that has been involved with the
project over the years.

John
--
The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

-- Muhammad Ali

Dave Ahn

May 4, 2020, 12:01:59 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
I thought we went through a mailing list consolidation many years ago so we only have 2 official lists on netrek.org: netrek and netrek-dev.  Why do we have all these other netrek-forever, netrek-clue-games, etc lists with the same emails being posted multiple times?

Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "netrek-forever" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/20200426235121.GF30548%40laptop.org.

John R. Dennison

May 4, 2020, 4:23:30 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 12:01:43PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> I thought we went through a mailing list consolidation many years ago so we
> only have 2 official lists on netrek.org: netrek and netrek-dev. Why do we
> have all these other netrek-forever, netrek-clue-games, etc lists with the
> same emails being posted multiple times?

Because someone decided to create, advertise and promote the -forever
and -clue-games lists and to do so outside of the hosting or control
of netrek.org.

John
--
Germs have always traveled. The problem now is they can travel with the
speed of a jet plane.

-- Howard Markel, a professor of the history of medicine at the University
of Michigan, on the spread of Ebola beyond West Africa,
New York Times, 9 October 2014

James Cameron

May 4, 2020, 4:32:35 PM5/4/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 03:23:25PM -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 12:01:43PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> > I thought we went through a mailing list consolidation many years
> > ago so we only have 2 official lists on netrek.org: netrek and
> > netrek-dev. Why do we have all these other netrek-forever,
> > netrek-clue-games, etc lists with the same emails being posted
> > multiple times?
>
> Because someone decided to create, advertise and promote the
> -forever and -clue-games lists and to do so outside of the hosting
> or control of netrek.org.

Because we don't have trademark protection or enough time to defend a
trademark. ;-)

Yes, we did consolidate, and perhaps it is time to do so again.

We would need the owners of those resources to consent.

Dave Ahn

May 4, 2020, 5:56:46 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
Freedom of speech, I suppose.  Still, let's take advantage of this renewed interest in Netrek to do what we can.  Who owns this and netrek-clue-games?  Zach?

James Cameron

May 4, 2020, 6:14:43 PM5/4/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 05:56:32PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> Still, let's take advantage of this renewed interest in Netrek to do
> what we can. Who owns this and netrek-clue-games? Zach?

Yes. I've a fresh export of the netrek-forever members. Zach is
Owner. I'm a Manager. So is John Dennison.

I've no access to netrek-clue-games except as a member.

John R. Dennison

May 4, 2020, 6:29:19 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 05:56:32PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:

> Freedom of speech, I suppose. Still, let's take advantage of this renewed
> interest in Netrek to do what we can. Who owns this and
> netrek-clue-games? Zach?

I'm not quite sure why the interest, after all the years this list has
been in existence, in wishing to wrest control of it now. There have been
no issues with management and while the lists at netrek.org languished
for years Zach managed to build this list into an semi-active community.

-clue-games is Bill's. Karthik and I are managers, perhaps others are as
well... it's been years since I checked.

John
--
A man or woman is seldom happy unless he or she is sustaining him or herself
and making a contribution to others.

-- Hilary Hinton "Zig" Ziglar (1926-), American self-help author and speaker,
See You at the Top (2000)

TEL TEL

May 4, 2020, 6:36:29 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
I second this.  netrek-forever seems to be working quite well to me.

netrek-dev is a different animal, which seems to be working well for its purposes too.

In both cases, I would suggest not trying to fix what's already working.

Dave Ahn

May 4, 2020, 7:05:48 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 6:29 PM John R. Dennison <j...@gerdesas.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 05:56:32PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:

> Freedom of speech, I suppose.  Still, let's take advantage of this renewed
> interest in Netrek to do what we can.  Who owns this and
> netrek-clue-games?  Zach?

I'm not quite sure why the interest, after all the years this list has
been in existence, in wishing to wrest control of it now. There have been
no issues with management and while the lists at netrek.org languished
for years Zach managed to build this list into an semi-active community.

-clue-games is Bill's. Karthik and I are managers, perhaps others are as
well... it's been years since I checked.

Who said anything about wrestling control?  I think it's admirable that Zach continues to be actively engaged in this historic, old game.  Maybe he should be the official marketing guy.  If netrek-forever is the most active non-dev list, then we should collapse netrek-clue-games, net...@lists.netrek.org and any other non-dev list into it.  I just updated netrek.org to default to TLS and would like to point visitors to one mailing list, not 3+.

Darrell Root

May 4, 2020, 7:32:55 PM5/4/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
Dave Ahn wrote:

> I just updated netrek.org to default to TLS and would like to point visitors to one mailing list, not 3+.

You can update netrek.org?  Great!

On the front page: https://netrek.org you have the list of clients.

For MacOS up to version 10.14 (Catalina), the best client is MacTrek version 1.5 available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/mactrek/files/
(You currently link to a copy of MacTrek 1.4 hosted on netrek.org directly).

For MacOS 10.15 and later, the best client is downloading Netrek from the MacOS App Store (free download of course)

MacTrek is a 32-bit app.  32-bit apps do not run in MacOS 10.15 and later.

Feel free to reach out to me by email at darrellroot AT mac.com   for an offline discussion if needed.

Thanks!

Darrell
darrellroot AT mac.com

To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
More info: http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.

Dave Ahn

May 4, 2020, 9:41:17 PM5/4/20
to netrek-forever
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:32 PM 'Darrell Root' via netrek-forever <netrek-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
For MacOS up to version 10.14 (Catalina), the best client is MacTrek version 1.5 available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/mactrek/files/
(You currently link to a copy of MacTrek 1.4 hosted on netrek.org directly).

For MacOS 10.15 and later, the best client is downloading Netrek from the MacOS App Store (free download of course)

Thanks.

Kevin Zheng

May 4, 2020, 10:56:10 PM5/4/20
to 'Darrell Root' via netrek-forever
Hi Darrell,

Thanks for maintaining the website.

I'd like to add that COW is also (easily) available on FreeBSD. The
command to install is:

# pkg install netrek-client-cow

Online package information can be found at:

https://www.freshports.org/games/netrek-client-cow/

Regards,
Kevin

--
Kevin Zheng
kevin...@gmail.com | kev...@berkeley.edu

James Cameron

May 4, 2020, 11:25:07 PM5/4/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
COW is available also for Debian and Ubuntu Linux.

% sudo apt install netrek-client-cow

Latest source code is

https://github.com/quozl/netrek-client-cow

With a very large monitor, get your glasses out.

Lawrence Brass

May 5, 2020, 12:02:19 PM5/5/20
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
image.png