Assembled LED Cube Recommendation

Dman777

Aug 29, 2018, 10:50:27 PM8/29/18
to neonixie-l
I have a 4x4x4 LED cube that I bought about 7 years ago. It's cool, but it doesn't have cool effects that I see in today's youtube videos like the rain effect. Can anyone recommend a 4x4x4 or 8x8x8 RGB led cube that has cool effects like rain? Also I am looking for having it programmable easily with presets.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 29, 2018, 10:52:27 PM8/29/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 29, 2018, at 19:50, Dman777 <darin....@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a 4x4x4 LED cube that I bought about 7 years ago. It's cool, but it doesn't have cool effects that I see in today's youtube videos like the rain effect. Can anyone recommend a 4x4x4 or 8x8x8 RGB led cube that has cool effects like rain? Also I am looking for having it programmable easily with presets.

Darin Hensley

Aug 30, 2018, 1:18:52 AM8/30/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

 Except there's one issue... I like the normal LEDs and that Cube looks like it has small squares for LEDs instead. Am I seeing that correctly?

Sent From Samsung S7

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 30, 2018, 1:35:24 AM8/30/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but in person it looks great. And you can upload new ‘sketches’ to it via a web portal or even write your own animations etc....

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Mitchell

Aug 30, 2018, 7:51:14 AM8/30/18
to neonixie-l
I've used this UNO shield:
When I bought mine they came assembled.  Looks like it is a kit now.
I had to write all the Arduino code to drive it.  I just have it randomly display a pattern, though every minute it scrolls the time and date across the face of the cube.

Dman777

Aug 30, 2018, 10:11:25 PM8/30/18
to neonixie-l
I am not familiar with those square Leds... are they better than normal leds? Or not as good as normal leds? When I say normal leds, I mean the leds that are used on the hypnocube http://hypnocube.com/products/4cube/4cube/

Tony

Aug 31, 2018, 6:14:02 AM8/31/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
They are RGB LEDs with an onboard shift register/controller meaning
they can be connected as a series string using just 4 wires.
Instead of a 3-dimensional soldering nightmare you just need say 64
vertical strings of 8 LEDs. Drivers are simplified as they can be
connected directly to a microcintroller port pin. They're also
available in a standard 5mm resin lens leaded package but not as easy
to find.
That is a very neat cube.

Tony..

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 19:11:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>I am not familiar with those square Leds... are they better than normal
>leds? Or not as good as normal leds? When I say normal leds, I mean the
>leds that are used on the
>hypnocube http://hypnocube.com/products/4cube/4cube/
>
>On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 12:35:24 AM UTC-5, Pramanicin wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but in person it looks great. And you can upload new ‘sketches’ to it
>> via a web portal or even write your own animations etc....
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Aug 29, 2018, at 22:18, Darin Hensley <darin....@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>> Except there's one issue... I like the normal LEDs and that Cube looks
>> like it has small squares for LEDs instead. Am I seeing that correctly?
>>
>> Sent From Samsung S7
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 9:52 PM Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://lookingglassfactory.com/product/l3d-cube/
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Aug 29, 2018, at 19:50, Dman777 <darin....@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a 4x4x4 LED cube that I bought about 7 years ago. It's cool, but
>>> it doesn't have cool effects that I see in today's youtube videos like the
>>> rain effect. Can anyone recommend a 4x4x4 or 8x8x8 RGB led cube that has
>>> cool effects like rain? Also I am looking for having it programmable easily
>>> with presets.
>>>

>>> --
>>> <javascript:>.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/a4f1d93f-f712-4b24-90ae-11f0f729d984%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>>> --
>>> <javascript:>.
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/EB0E08EF-443A-4F53-96FD-3C3B05E21D52%40gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/EB0E08EF-443A-4F53-96FD-3C3B05E21D52%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> <javascript:>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAKMWEBwoBhwdurDLs1CGnXj3h4s7srgbEEDxK1YXW6fheSxQxg%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAKMWEBwoBhwdurDLs1CGnXj3h4s7srgbEEDxK1YXW6fheSxQxg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Mitch

Aug 31, 2018, 9:56:32 AM8/31/18
to neonixie-l
I bought this kit, but I have not yet assembled it. The advantage to it is that it's built in layers that plug together, so replacing a bad LED won't be a nightmare.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 31, 2018, 5:08:22 PM8/31/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Tony hit the nail on the head...this cube uses addressable vertical strips of 8 LEDs that plug into a master board (with a Photon on it). If one LED goes duff, you just change one strip.

The link shows you all the different kind of displays you can upload via the web...

I built a 5x5x5 cube once from LED's....was an effing nightmare to solder together....the people who put the 10x10x10 by hand need their heads read....;-)

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/3t4iodharatimmuic3d9g447lj3rqriufa%404ax.com.